Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2013, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For later discussion, see the threads starting at May 2015 (now also closed) and January 2017 (current, with updated wiki).
Print Wikipost

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2014, 4:03 pm

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
Trying to succeed with Chase

My DH's fee waived year with Chase UA MP is almost over.

We bank with Chase; two Direct Deposits and a car loan.

Besides UA, DH has Freedom (3-4 years old) and Amazon (Dec '13). We thought our children were loyal Amazon shoppers and thought we could save up some points to use! It's hardly used.

I saw the referral thread in the forum for Sapphire w/40k bonus. Would love to have that.

Questions:

Too soon to apply? Referral exp is 31March.

Balance on Chase cards when we apply or do I zero them out at same time? What credit bureau does Chase use?

I'm an AU on all three cards. Is this relevant? Maybe do this app as a joint app?

Apply for Sapphire first and if not approved, call Recon Line? How do I approach the idea of splitting CLs to gain approval?

And, should I shelve the UA MP Card for good? I do have my WN to work on more with MS. UA MP: 125k and my DH's DXB to BOS will add about 7k miles to that.

Insight appreciated. Thank you.

(Requested to be moved to Chase CC thread)

Last edited by jan_believes; Mar 25, 2014 at 6:07 pm
Old Mar 26, 2014, 2:18 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by jan_believes
My DH's fee waived year with Chase UA MP is almost over.

We bank with Chase; two Direct Deposits and a car loan.

Besides UA, DH has Freedom (3-4 years old) and Amazon (Dec '13). We thought our children were loyal Amazon shoppers and thought we could save up some points to use! It's hardly used.

I saw the referral thread in the forum for Sapphire w/40k bonus. Would love to have that.
Go & apply at your local branch in person ... sign up bonus for SP card walk-ins is 50K UR points.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, M life Noir
Originally Posted by skibum7732
Of course call, what's the worst they can say...no. It will be a hard inquiry for you though if you co-sign
Might as well call, but I'm pretty sure Chase no longer allows co-signers on credit cards since they stopped issuing new joint credit card accounts about a year ago.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 4:10 pm

Should I wait, or call Recon?

Last applications June 2013. (Chase WN Biz and Personal. Biz needed to call recon.)
In this round, applied Barclays Arrival (Instant)
Chase Ink Bold 10-30day message
Chase United Personal 10-30day message.

I have plenty of credit available at Chase and don't mind moving it to the new cards. Should I call recon immediately? Or wait and see?
Old Mar 27, 2014, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by Happy
Was it done without your knowledge, i.e. no call from you and automatically happened?
Has happened to me as well.

Originally Posted by Kalboz
One Chase credit application every 91 days. First time credit applicant with Chase? Must have great credit (750+ & no prior discharge account with Chase), you may apply for 3 cards at once. YMMV!
I would not do this. Chase is a big player and rarely forgives. I am nervous of doing two itself.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 4:23 pm

Programs: UA 1/MM SPG gold, CEO: Grandmother of 4
Has any one been able to get the HYATT two nights free visa card again. Had it once, cancelled it six months ago after staying at HYATT Paris .........would love to stay there again. I am in Paris every October, usually stay at Westin.........loved the Hyatt!
Old Mar 27, 2014, 5:05 pm

Programs: UA, AA, IHG, SPG, CC
Timing a CSP application

Hello - in order to get the last few k points we need to book a flight to CDG this fall, my gf is going to apply for the CSP. I'm trying to help her figure out if she should apply right now, or if she should wait for her next statements to post to her report.

Her CK reports that she's at about 755, with 13% utilization. The only ding against her is her short credit history. CK gave her "fair" odds of approval. She has no recent hard inquiries and currently has the chase SW card, which is in good standing.

She paid down her SW card, and when her new statement comes out, which will be around the 4th, she'll only be at 8% CU. Will this make a huge difference? Looking at the Credit Limit Utilized graph on CK is making me think that it does, but I have no idea how accurate that is for all approvals, seeing as how that number is derived from a sample of only 1700 cardholders.

As I know we're cutting it SUPER close, I'm anxious to have her apply, but I don't know if it would increase her chances of approval to wait until her recent payments are reflected. Any thoughts or speculations would be appreciated!

Last edited by McNandez; Mar 27, 2014 at 5:07 pm Reason: spelling!
Old Mar 27, 2014, 5:26 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by oshelef
Should I wait, or call Recon?

Last applications June 2013. (Chase WN Biz and Personal. Biz needed to call recon.)
In this round, applied Barclays Arrival (Instant)
Chase Ink Bold 10-30day message
Chase United Personal 10-30day message.

I have plenty of credit available at Chase and don't mind moving it to the new cards. Should I call recon immediately? Or wait and see?
Why wait? Call and ask to know the statuses of your applications. It's likely what you suspect: Chase needs to move some credit limit to your new cards. If you don't call, Chase might decide on its own what card to move the credit limit from. You'll want to have some say in this.

Chase may also want to know why you need all these cards. Be sure to have a good story ready. In any case, call.

RNE, pointing out that this is not a "reconsideration" situation; it's still in "consideration." Help it move to "approval" by calling.

P.S. Did I mention you should call?
Old Mar 27, 2014, 5:50 pm

Having a lower utilization can only help and it's commonly said that utilization of 1-9% results in the highest FICO score. However, I don't think it will matter that much in her case. Having another Chase card in good standing helps... particularly if she's had it for at least six month (over one year would be better).
Old Mar 27, 2014, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by RNE
Why wait? Call and ask to know the statuses of your applications. It's likely what you suspect: Chase needs to move some credit limit to your new cards. If you don't call, Chase might decide on its own what card to move the credit limit from. You'll want to have some say in this.

Chase may also want to know why you need all these cards. Be sure to have a good story ready. In any case, call.

RNE, pointing out that this is not a "reconsideration" situation; it's still in "consideration." Help it move to "approval" by calling.

There is really no reason not to give recon a call
(just don't sound desperate for credit)
Old Mar 27, 2014, 6:54 pm

Have you tried the pre-qualify site on chase? Enter in your info and then see if Chase has pre-qualified you for the card. If so, chances are more than likely that you'll get it. There's a very small chance you won't, but I typically tell people to use it as a precursor. Out of the dozen times or so, it's been on target.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by steppie
Has any one been able to get the HYATT two nights free visa card again. Had it once, cancelled it six months ago after staying at HYATT Paris .........would love to stay there again. I am in Paris every October, usually stay at Westin.........loved the Hyatt!
With Chase one usually has to wait 12>24 months before getting the same bonus again. It varies a lot so no exact answer is possible. But I would wait a min. of 12-13 months from cancel date.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 9:51 pm

Programs: UA 1/MM SPG gold, CEO: Grandmother of 4
Originally Posted by philemer
With Chase one usually has to wait 12>24 months before getting the same bonus again. It varies a lot so no exact answer is possible. But I would wait a min. of 12-13 months from cancel date.
THANKS Hard to wait, but I will!
Old Mar 27, 2014, 11:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, M life Noir
If that Chase SW CC has been open for at least 6 months and she has no derogs on her credit report, I'd say approval is a near slam-dunk.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by RNE

Thanks. Didn't get back to it until this morning. Business card was approved before I called in. Personal got dinged as the 2nd application on the same day, but recon approved it with a transfer of credit line.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.