Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JP Morgan Palladium Card

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2013, 12:30 am

Originally Posted by Valveking
And, of course, the cool factor is off the charts.

Does anyone know if this thing sets off airport metal detectors?
The cool factor is definitely there; I've had mine for a couple years and the comments I still get are "Wow - it's so heavy" and "I've never seen one of these before"... It actually is kind of fun to use!

Unfortunately, the front of the card is starting to take a beating from being swiped so many times. However, it doesn't set off metal detectors in the airport.
Old May 28, 2013, 3:15 pm

Programs: United 1K, AA Plat Exec, DL Plat, Marriott Titanium Lifetime Elite, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Mine always does set off the metal detectors...I have taken to taking it out before going through security.
Old May 30, 2013, 12:56 am

Originally Posted by zeusmt
I'm thinking of rolling over a 401k to an IRA account there - it would make me a CPC. Are you happy with CPC and whatever account(s) you have there?

I've only been a Chase CPC for a couple of months now, but I gotta say that it's been a worthwhile service to have. There really are no downsides as the service itself doesn't cost anything. The only loose obligation is to have a certain amount of investible funds with Chase... and that exact amount seems to be a moving target.

As long as you have a jaundiced eye towards some of the financial products they may try to steer you towards, I really think it's a no-brainer service to get as long as you qualify.

It's been great to have a single point-person to direct all of my banking questions/concerns to, as well as separate and dedicated 24 hour access via Chase CPC online and telephone staff.

As for the Palladium card, I'm still on the fence as to whether the annual fee is worth it for the services provided, but I am fortunate to be in a position to wait and see if things will improve.

The card itself is a goddamned work of art though, and I sometimes find myself feeling like Gollum, staring at the thing and caressing "my precious"...
Old May 30, 2013, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by kbot123
I've only been a Chase CPC for a couple of months now, but I gotta say that it's been a worthwhile service to have. There really are no downsides as the service itself doesn't cost anything. The only loose obligation is to have a certain amount of investible funds with Chase... and that exact amount seems to be a moving target.
They wanted 250K moved over to them when I spoke to them recently, which is just a little more than I can shift at the moment. Otherwise I would -- they'll refund other banks ATM fees like some online banks, but you also get the brick-and-mortar advantages that are a bit difficult with internet banking sometimes...
Old May 30, 2013, 11:31 am

Thanks for reminding me about one of the main benefits of Chase CPC... the absence of nuisance fees of any kind. No checking fees, ATM fees, wire transaction fees, overage fees, etc. This alone is worth it in my book. In fact, if you ever get charged a fee that bugs you, a quick call to your private banker can usually get it waived.

Granted, Chase will likely make it back from you since the average CPC client has a significant portion of their funds with them, but the more of my money I can hold onto, the better.

Now back on topic to Palladium. I was a bit disappointed by my concierge service experience a couple of weeks ago before I left on a trip to Asia. The day I got the card, I called and had them enroll me in the United Red Carpet Lounge club. They sent me a confirmation email and told me that although the actual card would take 2-3 weeks to arrive, I could just give the United lounge my flier number and the account would be activated. Well, I walked up to the United Lounge at SFO and gave them my United number... no go. The United people at the counter were not helpful and refused to even speak to the JP Morgan concierge.
The concierge on the other end of the line did what she could, but since it was after hours for her to contact United services, she also couldn't help me. Basically, she told me that I could try to purchase a one time admission to the United lounge and JP Morgan "may" decide to reimburse me, no guarantees. Certainly not the royal treatment I expected from Palladium.

Coming back from Asia, the same thing happened as I had not yet received my Lounge Club card yet. A call to the concierge this time instructed me to purchase a day pass with the card and that they would waive the fee automatically... I'm still waiting for this to happen.

Not a great first impression.
Old May 30, 2013, 11:59 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, Marriott Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Thanks for reminding me about one of the main benefits of Chase CPC... the absence of nuisance fees of any kind. No checking fees, ATM fees, wire transaction fees, overage fees, etc. This alone is worth it in my book. In fact, if you ever get charged a fee that bugs you, a quick call to your private banker can usually get it waived.
As an fyi, every single bank out there offers this and you typically don't need high balances to qualify. With most banks, you only need $5K-$15K balances to get all these fees waived.
Old May 30, 2013, 2:26 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold

The concierge on the other end of the line did what she could, but since it was after hours for her to contact United services, she also couldn't help me. Basically, she told me that I could try to purchase a one time admission to the United lounge and JP Morgan "may" decide to reimburse me, no guarantees. Certainly not the royal treatment I expected from Palladium.

Coming back from Asia, the same thing happened as I had not yet received my Lounge Club card yet. A call to the concierge this time instructed me to purchase a day pass with the card and that they would waive the fee automatically... I'm still waiting for this to happen.

Not a great first impression.
I had 2 reimbursements happen automatically prior to receiving the card. That would have been one year ago.
Old May 30, 2013, 4:35 pm

Anyone here use the Concierge to get reservations at any michelin restaurants outside the us? Like say, jiro in Japan for example
Old May 30, 2013, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by am1996
As an fyi, every single bank out there offers this and you typically don't need high balances to qualify. With most banks, you only need $5K-$15K balances to get all these fees waived.
You're probably right, but the banks I've dealt with in the past (BofA and Wells Fargo) certainly seemed to make it a point not to tell you about any of these benefits unless pressed. BofA in particular happily charged me fees galore despite the high balances I kept with them. It was only after I complained to them that they offered me an "upgraded account" which I qualified for all along. Even with the upgraded accounts, they still charged wire transfer fees, foreign exchange fees, and didn't seem to offer very personalized service.

I know I sound like a Chase fanboy... believe me, I'm far from it. They have their fair share of problems, like other big institutions. But they've been pretty upfront with me with CPC and my experience with their CPC service has been very good.

A good local credit union or bank could probably offer the same service, but they all seem to lack convenient locations or nationwide access.
Old May 31, 2013, 1:08 pm

The card itself is a goddamned work of art though, and I sometimes find myself feeling like Gollum, staring at the thing and caressing "my precious"...
This is the exact same way I felt about having the card. I still keep it in my wallet even though I just closed my account. It's a nice souvenir to have.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by am1996
Not in my experience. They might waive one-off fees you'll trigger, like an overdraft fee or something, but not normal cost-of-doing-business fees.

For example, one of my family members keeps pretty large balances with Wells Fargo, and if they use a non-Wells ATM, I'm sure they get hit with out-of-network fees, non-bank fees, etc.

I'm pretty happy with my smaller online bank's service in general, but sometimes a brick-and-mortar can be helpful.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 6:42 pm

Just got approved for this credit card today. I'm assuming it'll come in a few days. Kinda thinking the annual fee is too high, but we'll see what happens this year and how it goes.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by zeusmt
Just got approved for this credit card today. I'm assuming it'll come in a few days. Kinda thinking the annual fee is too high, but we'll see what happens this year and how it goes.
Congrats,

Like you, I'm hoping for bigger and better things for this piece of wallet candy.

I don't plan on using the palladium as my daily driver and am just getting started in the multi-card points collection game. I will probably start my first app-o-rama next week and I'm getting ideas for potential contenders.

That said, all of the bankers and tellers at my Chase branch treated me like a local celebrity after I got this card. When I last went there, they all lined up to see and touch the greatness... it was hilarious.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 7:33 am

Congrats,

Like you, I'm hoping for bigger and better things for this piece of wallet candy.

I don't plan on using the palladium as my daily driver and am just getting started in the multi-card points collection game. I will probably start my first app-o-rama next week and I'm getting ideas for potential contenders.

That said, all of the bankers and tellers at my Chase branch treated me like a local celebrity after I got this card. When I last went there, they all lined up to see and touch the greatness... it was hilarious.
That's pretty funny. I might have to order the plastic card - I don't know if I want to or feel comfortable flashing that around.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 1:45 pm

Programs: Amex Biz Cent, Marriott LTP, Avis PC, Hilton Owners Diamond, AS MVP
Has anybody noticed the magnetic strip fades off unusually quickly? I think I'm on my 3rd card within 6-8 months or so because one end of the strip or the other fades away. I maybe use the card 2-3x/daily, and sometimes not even daily. Otherwise it sits in my card-case wallet

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.