JP Morgan Palladium Card

Closed Thread

Old Jan 4, 12, 5:50 pm
  #106  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: SFO/SEA
Programs: Amex Biz Cent, JPMC Palladium, SPG/Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver, Hertz PC, Avis Chairmans Circle
Posts: 3,269
Originally Posted by cardtracker View Post
The card definitely draws attention. Way better unboxing experience than Amex Platinum. If JPM can add more benefits to the card, they'll definitely draw customers from Amex. The only downside to the card is the quality control process during manufacturing. My card came with a scratch on the front. CS is great and they're sending a replacement.
Agreed on all fronts -- this thing is at least 2x heavier than an Amex Cent card. The coffee table book received last month about the hotel benefits (FHR-style benefits but many hotels have far more benefits such as airport transfers, etc) was quite nice and seemed like it was an expensive little bugger to produce and ship!

Frankly, I don't understand why they haven't added any more benefits to the card or the ultimate rewards aspect. As far as cardmember benefits go, Chase is partnered with many of the major airlines and hotels so presumably they would have the negotiating power to bring in elite status, etc. For ultimate rewards, I don't understand why they wouldn't add the benefits that lower-end cards have (such as the points rebate when redeeming for travel on the Sapphire card), or bonus points in certain categories of spend.

The thing that irks me the most is that this card still only comes with priority pass select. I can understand why the Amex PP excludes UA/CO clubs but given that Chase offers the UA/CO cards, why the heck can't they include the regular PP that allows access to the UA/CO clubs???
brosnan6 is offline  
Old Jan 5, 12, 10:31 am
  #107  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New York
Programs: SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, BA Silver, Delta Silver
Posts: 86
Originally Posted by cardtracker View Post
My card came with a scratch on the front. CS is great and they're sending a replacement.
Do they ask for the original card back? With card made out of palladium, there is a possibility for arbitrage by someone "losing" these cards. Do they limit the replacement of the actual metal card? On the other hand I'm not exactly sure how one would dispose/resell the physical card for scrap.

BTW, to be converted to a JPMC private client you don't need to have $30 mil. You will qualify with about $100k in total money in the bank, including retirement. They also ask about income and all, but they don't seem to be checking anything.

I don't have the card yet, but I may get one for myself and spouse, if not for anything but for the conversation piece factor.

Last edited by DS-Flier; Jan 5, 12 at 10:49 am Reason: Correcting typo. $100 vs. $100k
DS-Flier is offline  
Old Jan 5, 12, 10:47 am
  #108  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: By the landing strip.
Programs: UA, DL, AA, SPG
Posts: 1,604
Did you really mean "$100"? That seems unusually low.

But you should also check with your employer; mine offers JPM private banking with no minimums, etc. So you may be able to get it even without the minimum.
crimson12 is offline  
Old Jan 5, 12, 10:49 am
  #109  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New York
Programs: SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, BA Silver, Delta Silver
Posts: 86
Originally Posted by crimson12 View Post
Did you really mean "$100"? That seems unusually low.

But you should also check with your employer; mine offers JPM private banking with no minimums, etc. So you may be able to get it even without the minimum.
Sorry, $100k. $100 was a typo...
DS-Flier is offline  
Old Jan 5, 12, 11:20 am
  #110  
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami & London
Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Posts: 38,135
Originally Posted by brosnan6 View Post
...I can understand why the Amex PP excludes UA/CO clubs but given that Chase offers the UA/CO cards, why the heck can't they include the regular PP that allows access to the UA/CO clubs???
Select memberships are provided by all USA-based financial institutions, not only American Express. This is a restriction in the contract between Priority Pass and United Airlines. Chase isn't a party to that contract. Making an exception for Chase could make it clear that Chase muscled out other card issuers and might provide the basis for an antitrust complaint. (Continental was very careful to say that it was their own decision to leave Membership Rewards, and that Chase did not influence them. I don't believe it, but they said it.)
mia is offline  
Old Jan 5, 12, 1:47 pm
  #111  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 176
Originally Posted by DS-Flier View Post
Do they ask for the original card back? With card made out of palladium, there is a possibility for arbitrage by someone "losing" these cards. Do they limit the replacement of the actual metal card? On the other hand I'm not exactly sure how one would dispose/resell the physical card for scrap.
CS was quite clear that they were mailing me a replacement card PLUS a return mailer for the scratched card. While they were extremely courteous, it was clear they weren't leaving me with two metal cards. BTW, with the card you can also request a normal plastic version if you don"t want to carry the metal one.
cardtracker is offline  
Old Jan 5, 12, 1:51 pm
  #112  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New York
Programs: SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, BA Silver, Delta Silver
Posts: 86
Originally Posted by cardtracker View Post
CS was quite clear that they were mailing me a replacement card PLUS a return mailer for the scratched card. While they were extremely courteous, it was clear they weren't leaving me with two metal cards. BTW, with the card you can also request a normal plastic version if you don"t want to carry the metal one.
Ok, this makes sense. I wonder how they handle lost metal card situations. The most proper way would probably for them to say "tough luck" and either charge for a replacement or let customer use cheap plastic substitute.

Also wondering if secondary, $99 users, get the metal card or not.
DS-Flier is offline  
Old Jan 5, 12, 1:55 pm
  #113  
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NYC
Programs: SPG Plat, Emerald Exec., PC Plat, AA, CO, DL, UBS Charter Card, Palladium Card, Amex Plat
Posts: 1,694
Originally Posted by DS-Flier View Post
Also wondering if secondary, $99 users, get the metal card or not.
Yes they do.
mlad1101 is offline  
Old Jan 12, 12, 2:50 am
  #114  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: SFO/SEA
Programs: Amex Biz Cent, JPMC Palladium, SPG/Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver, Hertz PC, Avis Chairmans Circle
Posts: 3,269
Thumbs up

Used the Palladium concierge for the first time to assist with procuring dinner reservations for an upcoming trip to NYC -- absolutely amazing results!

I called them the other morning with a long-shot request to get a table at Per Se for 4 people next Friday night (20th). I got a call back within 20 minutes saying I had a reservation confirmed at 8PM on the 20th (with dedicated contact person + phone/email) and an email confirmation 15 minutes later. Last I checked, it's not terribly easy to get a reservation there, let alone on a Friday night at primetime with 10 days notice.

This is far beyond anything Amex Cent has been able to get for me w/r/t dining reservations, which is odd since I believe both cards use Circles. The disclaimer is word-for-word the same at bottom of emails with the exception being that JPM does not explicitly say "Circles", they just say "business associate" and "concierge company"

Anyways, I think I've found my concierge provider of choice...can't wait to send more difficult tasks their way!

J. P. Morgan's business associate, "Concierge Company" has provided you with certain information about the Service Provider(s) profiled in the attached referral(s). The actual decision to hire any Service Provider referred by Concierge Company is the responsibility of each customer, and Concierge Company strongly recommends that the customer interview and carefully consider each Service Provider before choosing to hire that provider. The Service Providers are not employees or agents of Concierge Company, and are not entitled to act on behalf of Concierge Company in any way. The customer by accepting and utilizing the attached referral(s) recognizes that Concierge Company is in no way responsible for the actions of any Service Provider hired by the customer, and expressly understands and agrees that the exclusive remedy for any claims relating to services or products provided by the Service Provider (including, but not limited to negligence or failure to deliver on the terms of any contract between the Service Provider and the customer) is against the Service Provider and not against Concierge Company. Concierge Company shall not be liable for loss, damage, or other claim with respect to any services or products provided to Customer by Service Provider. Certain portions of dining-related content may have been provided by Concierge Company' partner Gayot.
brosnan6 is offline  
Old Jan 12, 12, 9:58 am
  #115  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: LAS
Programs: the human race
Posts: 2,235
Originally Posted by brosnan6 View Post
This is far beyond anything Amex Cent has been able to get for me w/r/t dining reservations, which is odd since I believe both cards use Circles. The disclaimer is word-for-word the same at bottom of emails with the exception being that JPM does not explicitly say "Circles", they just say "business associate" and "concierge company"

Anyways, I think I've found my concierge provider of choice...can't wait to send more difficult tasks their way!
Congrats! I too have found the concierge to be excellent. It seems JP Morgan has a dedicated group within circles for concierge service. The last time I called the person who helped me mentioned it is a small group (IIRC he said about 2 dozen agents) that works only with JPM. While I can't compare it to Centurion, it has been much better than Circles via Amex Platinum.
Dr_wanderlust is offline  
Old Jan 12, 12, 10:23 am
  #116  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: By the landing strip.
Programs: UA, DL, AA, SPG
Posts: 1,604
Originally Posted by brosnan6 View Post
I called them the other morning with a long-shot request to get a table at Per Se for 4 people next Friday night (20th). I got a call back within 20 minutes saying I had a reservation confirmed at 8PM on the 20th (with dedicated contact person + phone/email) and an email confirmation 15 minutes later. Last I checked, it's not terribly easy to get a reservation there, let alone on a Friday night at primetime with 10 days notice.
That is amazing! Let us know how it is. (I run a food blog on the side -- withoutbacon.wordpress.com , and am particularly interested to know if you get the vegetarian tasting.)
crimson12 is offline  
Old Jan 12, 12, 1:19 pm
  #117  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: SFO/SEA
Programs: Amex Biz Cent, JPMC Palladium, SPG/Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver, Hertz PC, Avis Chairmans Circle
Posts: 3,269
Originally Posted by crimson12 View Post
That is amazing! Let us know how it is. (I run a food blog on the side -- withoutbacon.wordpress.com , and am particularly interested to know if you get the vegetarian tasting.)
No vegetarians in our group, though we do have a special request for one who doesn't eat pork.
brosnan6 is offline  
Old Jan 12, 12, 4:22 pm
  #118  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New York
Programs: SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, BA Silver, Delta Silver
Posts: 86
Got my card two days ago. Very nice looking card.

So a few tidbits. First you can apply yourself via fax, but it's better if your banker does it for you. They can attach special consideration letter to make it go smoother. Second, the "no preset" spending limit is actually 3x the amount of you nominal credit line. They reduced my other Chase card from $120k to $45k to give me $75k limit on Palladium and told me I can have up to $225k of spending, but some may require a quick call to be per-approved.

Just called concierge for the first time. Very nice experience. I liked the interaction much better than my previous experience with Merrill Lynch concierge. Let's see how their dining recommendation will turn out. They told me that as a full service travel agency with special relations they can essentially get me VIP / Platinum level service with hotel chains without having status there. They mentioned, upgrades to next category, free breakfast for two, free champagne and strawberries at check in, late checkout, etc, essentially all, plus some, amenities one would expect being a platinum with a reputable chain. I will try them on my next trip.

When I asked whether they are Circles, the lady almost got offended. She said that they are completely separate company "JP Morgan Concierge" and have direct access to JPMC bankers, etc. It almost sounded like they work for JP Morgan, so even if it's Circles, they are indeed a separate group there.

Last edited by DS-Flier; Jan 12, 12 at 8:23 pm
DS-Flier is offline  
Old Jan 12, 12, 5:24 pm
  #119  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: SFO/SEA
Programs: Amex Biz Cent, JPMC Palladium, SPG/Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver, Hertz PC, Avis Chairmans Circle
Posts: 3,269
Originally Posted by DS-Flier View Post
Just called concierge for the first time. Very nice experience. I liked the interaction my better than my previous experience with Merrill Lynch concierge. Let's see how their dining recommendation will turn out. They told me that as a full service travel agency with special relations they can essentially get me VIP / Platinum level service with hotel chains without having status there. They mentioned, upgrades to next category, free breakfast for two, free champagne and strawberries at check in, late checkout, etc, essentially all, plus some, amenities one would expect being a platinum with a reputable chain. I will try them on my next trip.

You know, that's one of the things not many people have touched on -- the fact that this card does indeed have its own version of FHR, and it seems like one with far richer benefits (though appears to have fewer properties, at least publicly). None of the various sites describing the card discuss it either. I actually was unaware of these benefits when I got this card until I received the giant coffee table book in Nov describing the benefits at various properties.

JPMC needs to do a better job at publicizing these benefits, as well as making the information more easily accessible. AFAIK, there's no way to verify property-specific benefits without consulting the giant book or calling (no website, app, PDF, etc).
brosnan6 is offline  
Old Jan 12, 12, 7:42 pm
  #120  
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 4,736
Originally Posted by crimson12 View Post
That is amazing! Let us know how it is. (I run a food blog on the side -- withoutbacon.wordpress.com , and am particularly interested to know if you get the vegetarian tasting.)
Very nice blog. I'm inspired to try Eleven Madison Park

Sorry for being OT
richarddd is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread