Search

JP Morgan Palladium Card

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2011, 8:50 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Dr_wanderlust
really?
Yes, really . I don't like to be "acknowledged" by people who do not know me personally. When I receive questionnaires asking if airline, hotel, or bank employees were "friendly" I mark "N/A" or exit if this isn't an option. Synthetic friendliness is worse than rudeness, but I do recognize that this is a minority opinion.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 9:48 am

Programs: Former AA PLT/GLD, A3 *G, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by Dr_wanderlust
really? The reps use "Mr. Wanderlust" not "JimmyJohn" or "JimmyJohn Wanderlust." I don't have a problem with them using my name. It is better than when my students think it is cool to use my first name or "hey Wanderlust" or even "hey JimmyJohn"
You are a teacher in Las Vegas
Sorry for the off-topic guys. I just found it curious.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 7:46 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mvtm
You are a teacher in Las Vegas
Sorry for the off-topic guys. I just found it curious.
1) I'm guessing that Dr_WanderLust is a college professor

2) It bothers me when students address me by my first name, too. You (the student) and I are not in a peer relationship when we're in the classroom. I typically tell people to call me by my first name, but that should be my call, not the student's. (Outside of the classroom is a different situation.)
Old Dec 22, 2011, 3:11 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by AUDirt
1) I'm guessing that Dr_WanderLust is a college professor

2) It bothers me when students address me by my first name, too. You (the student) and I are not in a peer relationship when we're in the classroom. I typically tell people to call me by my first name, but that should be my call, not the student's. (Outside of the classroom is a different situation.)
Exactly. It is all about context. I was mainly thinking about calls from the back of a 200 seat auditorium. I have no problem with my graduate students using my first name or undergraduate students I have worked with over the years. I also don't mind the JPM representatives using my name.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 8:28 am

I was never comfortable calling professors by their first name, even when they asked me to. I had a professor once tell the class, "When you decide what topic you're going to write your paper on, just shoot me an email saying, 'Hey Joe, I'm going to write about ABC'."

Of course, a few days later, I wrote, "Dear Professor X, I'm going to write about..."
Old Dec 24, 2011, 7:31 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by crimson12
I was never comfortable calling professors by their first name, even when they asked me to. I had a professor once tell the class, "When you decide what topic you're going to write your paper on, just shoot me an email saying, 'Hey Joe, I'm going to write about ABC'."

Of course, a few days later, I wrote, "Dear Professor X, I'm going to write about..."
I had similar experiences as an undergraduate.

Are you a Harvard crimson, by chance? I've had limited exposure to the Ivy League but I've heard that their classroom settings are far more liberal about such things.

(And then, interestingly enough, is the UVA culture where no one gets called "doctor" except for the MDs in the medical school.)

My apologies to the mods for veering this discussion right off the tracks
Old Dec 26, 2011, 8:04 pm

Programs: AA LTG, Marriott LTP. 50% Delta LTS, Working on Hyatt LTD
Originally Posted by mia
This style of simulated intimacy is insulting.
Makes me sick. But they way I look at it, I can easily imitate the false friendliness back at them, and they generally reward it with upgraded stays, free wine, various other things I've gotten throughout life.

My ex girlfriend would always swear about how much she hated "fake" people. I say, just be fake back to them. You get to mock them, and sometimes they even give you free stuff while you're mocking them...
Old Dec 26, 2011, 11:07 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by mia
Yes, really . I don't like to be "acknowledged" by people who do not know me personally. When I receive questionnaires asking if airline, hotel, or bank employees were "friendly" I mark "N/A" or exit if this isn't an option. Synthetic friendliness is worse than rudeness, but I do recognize that this is a minority opinion.
I suppose, then, that I am in the minority with you. I don't find it insulting as much as I find it odd.

Whatever it is, I simply do not like it.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by mia
This style of simulated intimacy is insulting.
I consider it to be respectful, and not simulated intimacy at all. They're not pretending they know me, they're just putting a little bit of effort into using my name. (As long as it's Ms. ---, and not my first name. I do consider using my first name to be simulated intimacy if they don't know me that well.) I'm not sure how you expect strangers to address you if they can't use any part of your name. Unless you prefer a generic Sir/Ma'am? To each their own, I guess.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 7:27 am

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by txrose86
I consider it to be respectful, and not simulated intimacy at all. They're not pretending they know me, they're just putting a little bit of effort into using my name. (As long as it's Ms. ---, and not my first name. I do consider using my first name to be simulated intimacy if they don't know me that well.) I'm not sure how you expect strangers to address you if they can't use any part of your name. Unless you prefer a generic Sir/Ma'am? To each their own, I guess.
It's not the use of one's name with an honorific that mia or I were referencing, it's the forced casual banter ("And how are you doing, today, Mr. Smith?" etc. as opposed to getting down to the purpose of the call.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by jspira
It's not the use of one's name with an honorific that mia or I were referencing, it's the forced casual banter ("And how are you doing, today, Mr. Smith?" etc. as opposed to getting down to the purpose of the call.
Oh, okay. I completely understand that! Sorry. I do find that annoying and completely unnecessary.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by AUDirt
I had similar experiences as an undergraduate.

Are you a Harvard crimson, by chance? I've had limited exposure to the Ivy League but I've heard that their classroom settings are far more liberal about such things.

(And then, interestingly enough, is the UVA culture where no one gets called "doctor" except for the MDs in the medical school.)

My apologies to the mods for veering this discussion right off the tracks
No, though I can see why you'd think so!
Old Jan 4, 2012, 7:37 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Any problems swiping this card, similar to the experiences reported with Sapphire in this thread?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...rred-card.html
Old Jan 4, 2012, 7:51 am

Programs: QR Plat, NZ*E, LT AA Plat, LT Bonvoy Plat + countless others
none whatsoever. the only swiping trouble is getting it back after the fondling and cashier show and tell.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 5:35 pm

The card definitely draws attention. Way better unboxing experience than Amex Platinum. If JPM can add more benefits to the card, they'll definitely draw customers from Amex. The only downside to the card is the quality control process during manufacturing. My card came with a scratch on the front. CS is great and they're sending a replacement.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.