Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JP Morgan Palladium Card

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2012, 1:11 pm

Don't forget, this is also one of the best looking credit cards out there IMO. For men, it's another form of "man jewelry"

BTW, I just got approved for my card!! it's in the mail and on the UPS truck out for delivery, should be here by 3pm!!

I wanted to get in on this card now, before they make it more exclusive.

I have a lot of upcoming travel and will be testing out the lounge access. I was almost going to apply for the AMEX Platinum but I really prefer UR points over MR points.

Originally Posted by HookemHorns
Sure - but my logic may not make sense for everyone.

1. I want access to more airport lounges than my AmEx Plat can give me. AmEx just closed the loophole that would have allowed me to get supplemental plats for my kids (under 15) to get the PP Select cards. Looks like the palladium PP pays for guests. I'll be testing this in NAS in 2 weeks.

2. Travel insurance. AmEx Plat offers virtually nothing that isn't already covered by another insurance, while palladium appears to have decent benefits.

3. VISA/EMV for European travel, plus no FOREX or cash advance fees. Much easier to use in Europe. Plus, UR points seem more useful than MR points.

4. I may be relocating to IAD. That, plus the rumors of a AA-US merger and the acknowledgment that RC is actually part of Marriott make me realize I may need to rethink my alliances.

In summary, I'm looking for a product to replace my AmEx plat, but I want to test-drive it first, and holding both cards for a year or two is not a significant blip in my budget. If it doesn't work out, I'll probably downgrade to JP Morgan Select, which also seems to have good benefits.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 7:07 am

Programs: AA LTG, Marriott LTP. 50% Delta LTS, Working on Hyatt LTD
Originally Posted by HookemHorns
I'm kind of kicking myself for not getting in on the AmEx Cent early on, so I'm willing to give this a few years to shake out. If the cost-benefit doesn't pay off, I can always dump it in a year or two and sell the card for scrap!
Made "with" Palladium, not made "of" Palladium. Don't believe the comment that the metal in the card is worth more than the annual fee. JPM didn't make $5B of profit recently by being dumb like that.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by mia
I think he means that children under 15 can no longer hold supplementary American Express cards.
Correct. PP Select is still an AmEx plat benefit. Primary PP membership is only open to those over 18 years old, however I know for a fact that it was possible to have a supplemental AmEx plat member under 18 get a PP Select card. Now that AmEx has raised the supplemental card age to 15, that somewhat closes the loophole. I haven't checked if they will still grant PP Select to a supplemental cardholder between 15 and 18.

Last edited by HookemHorns; Apr 13, 2012 at 9:52 am Reason: spelling
Old Apr 15, 2012, 2:32 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by rjdoc1974
I went through this whole thread and I am still at a loss why you guys want this card. I have high income, low credit utilization, and have most of the cards that others have on this forum. I can not find a reason to get this card and pay $600 annual fee. Could you guys break this down for me? Am I missing something? Not trying to be confrontational, just trying to understand.

the concierge service alone has saved me thousands of dollars and many hours of work. It has proven to be much better than amex concierge and amex travel. Strangely for concierge services the cards use the same company but the JP Morgan card gets you a small, dedicated team that has been able to do more for me than the same requests I've made via amex. Moreover, amex travel folks have been terrible lately; telling me what I WANT not listening to what I am asking for. The travel help through the Palladium card concierge has been excellent and much more detail orientated; probably because they are not paid commissions for the sale.

I also received several $1000 gift cards last November. I only used one of them, but even so, that was a nice perk.

Moreover, the PP membership is much better than that via amex platinum since there are no fees for guests whereas the PP membership via Amex platinum charges $27 per guest per visit. That adds up fast if you travel with friends and family a lot.

I am not sure I'll keep Pd for a second year unless it adds some more perks (Hyatt status would be nice) but if I had to pick between Pd and Amex platinum I''d say good-bye to amex is a heartbeat.

Edited to add that if you purchase concert tickets with this card and cannot use them call the customer service line because they will refund your ticket costs.

Originally Posted by 2tall4economy
Made "with" Palladium, not made "of" Palladium. Don't believe the comment that the metal in the card is worth more than the annual fee. JPM didn't make $5B of profit recently by being dumb like that.
the card is mostly Pd and a lot more "solid" feeling than other metal cards like sapphire preferred (which feels like cheap die-cast metal).

Originally Posted by brosnan6
Where did you hear about gifts being given out?
I received about $5000 in gift cards last November. They were fairly restricted (non-transferable, must be used in store, etc).

Last edited by mia; Apr 15, 2012 at 4:30 pm
Old Apr 15, 2012, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by Dr_wanderlust
I received about $5000 in gift cards last November. They were fairly restricted (non-transferable, must be used in store, etc).
Can you give me an idea what merchants these cards are from? Are these tide to a certain spend amount on the card?
Old Apr 15, 2012, 9:43 pm

I'm curious if these 'gifts' are for every Palladium cardholder or just those that put heavy spending on the card.

Is November your card anniversary?

What's your monthly spend on the card if I may ask?
Old Apr 16, 2012, 8:30 am

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by rjdoc1974
Can you give me an idea what merchants these cards are from? Are these tide to a certain spend amount on the card?
The two I remember were a $1000 gift card for Judith Ripka (no minimum purchase) and $1000 gift card for ISAIA (on a minimum 5K purchase at NYC showroom only)

There were also discounts in the gift package. The only one I used was 20% off Frette.

Come to think of it, the total for the cards was less than 5K. I read where some cardholders received the same gifts and others received nothing. It might have to do with the whether there are locations for these retailers in your area.

Originally Posted by yOyOYoo
I'm curious if these 'gifts' are for every Palladium cardholder or just those that put heavy spending on the card.

Is November your card anniversary?

What's your monthly spend on the card if I may ask?
I opened my card in October 2011 and received the gifts in late November 2011. At that time I had maybe put $4,000 on the card.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 10:35 pm
Suspended

NO return fax # on application?

Hi There,

I received an application for the palladium card but for some reason I can't find the fax number anywhere on the application. I was asked to e-mail the app back but would rather fax it in. Can someone please private me the fax number they used to submit their application?

For those of you interested in my saga of Palladium application, I ended up calling them again on Monday after not hearing back from them for 3 days, customer service was extremely friendly and nice, apologized for not hearing back from JP Morgan after my initial contact, then I was emailed an application.

I filled out the application and then faxed it in.

The next morning I received a call from customer service and the CS rep inquired as to why I have so many Chase accounts (Sapphire, Freedom, Sapphire Preferred) and why I was interested in this Palladium card.

I explained that I'm looking for a premium credit card to do most of my charges on and it's either the Palladium or the comparable AMEX Product (platinum). That and I just really like the Ultimate Rewards program. I find it much more rewarding than the AMEX Membership Rewards points for me. Although the MR points are transferable to more carriers, it's cash value is much more decreased compared to UR points.

The CS rep asked if it was okay to reallocate some of my other credit limits for this new card, and I gave him permission to. I was told that if I get approved, I should receive the new card by Friday via UPS shipping.

Today I see that my credit limit on my current Chase cards have decreased by $9,000. No sign of the Palladium card in my Chase online account however.

Keeping my fingers crossed that I get approved soon. Feeling very anxious and wondering what's going to happen if I get denied for the Palladium card AND have my current credit limits lowered.

FYI, I checked my credit scores before applying:
Experian score (www.myfico.com) it is currently 787.
Transunion score (www.transunion.com) is currently 962.
My credit utilization is around 6%.

Will keep you guys updated.

Last edited by bravek201; May 28, 2012 at 3:30 pm Reason: clarified info in post
Old Apr 19, 2012, 3:49 pm

JP Morgan Palladium Card

The agent who sent you the app should have mentioned the fax line. I faxed my application to this number: 614-776-7827 and immediately emailed the rep for confirmation.

Good luck!
Old Apr 19, 2012, 4:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
instead of opening yet anther Chase card, can I just have them switch my Sapphire preferred to Palladium if i'm approved for it?
Old Apr 19, 2012, 5:14 pm

JP Morgan Palladium Card

I found out today while traveling that the Palladium card does not give access to American Airlines Admirals Club.

Also apparently Chase is supposed to mail me a Priority Pass lounge number / card within 2 weeks of receiving the Palladium card.

We walked into a Priority Pass lounge and the attendant had to call in to confirm that we could access the lounge. Showing the Palladium card to her did not automatically gain us entry.

You can check participating lounges here: www.prioritypass.com. There's an iPhone, android, blackberry app to look up nearby lounges.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 7:20 pm
Suspended

The agent who sent you the app should have mentioned the fax line. I faxed my application to this number: 614-776-7827 and immediately emailed the rep for confirmation.

Good luck!
Thanks! I called back and got clarification. The (614) number is their private banking fax line.

I found out today while traveling that the Palladium card does not give access to American Airlines Admirals Club.
Looks like with Palladium, you can bring in guests when accessing airport lounges on PP select.

Last edited by bravek201; May 28, 2012 at 3:32 pm Reason: updated lounge info.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 7:28 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by bravek201
Looks like it works the same way as Amex plat/cent wrt to accessing airport lounges.
Not precisely. American Express Platinum and Centurion give access to AA and DL lounges when flying the same airline as operates the lounge, and also to US Airways lounges without regard to the airline flown. These lounges are accessed with the American Express card itself, and includes two guests. Chase has nothing like this.

In addition American Express provides Priority Pass Select, same as Chase. However, Chase permits a guest at no additional cost, American Express does not.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 7:30 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mia
Not precisely. American Express Platinum and Centurion give access to AA and DL lounges when flying the same airline as operates the lounge, and also to US Airways lounges without regard to the airline flown. These lounges are accessed with the American Express card itself, and includes two guests. Chase has nothing like this.

In addition American Express provides Priority Pass Select, same as Chase. However, Chase permits a guest at no additional cost, American Express does not.
That's true! thanks for pointing this out!
Old Apr 19, 2012, 10:05 pm

Programs: Amex, JPMR, Nexus
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
instead of opening yet anther Chase card, can I just have them switch my Sapphire preferred to Palladium if i'm approved for it?
No. This card needs to be applied for as opposed to converted to. No way around it for now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.