Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JP Morgan Palladium Card

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2012, 8:24 am

Location: New Orleans on a sabattical. My roots are in Los Angeles.
Programs: Chase Palladium, AMEX Plat, UA Plat, AA EXP, HH/SPG G, PC plat
Theres this comment on credit card forum :

I actually just applied for this card as a regular customer from chase.com and I got approved. I had to fill out an app and fax it over to them they didn’t ask my for any bank statements or anything like that. I don’t know what the whole hype is about it that you have to have 5 million in the bank or private banker. I have a feeling they are giving out the card easy now and then in a year from now they are going to make it exclusive like American express centurion, whom they let everyone apply in the beginning and then they made it by invite only.

That's an interesting idea. I'm tempted to look at this card instead of. My AMEX plat, which I appreciate, but mostly use for concierge at this point. So many other cards in my pocket give me better mileage options than the platinum. An even more powerful concierge might be worth it - plus I'd rather rack up UR rather than MR points at this point.

Anyone else thinking/already opted for this over platinum?

Originally Posted by brosnan6
Used the Palladium concierge for the first time to assist with procuring dinner reservations for an upcoming trip to NYC -- absolutely amazing results!

I called them the other morning with a long-shot request to get a table at Per Se for 4 people next Friday night (20th). I got a call back within 20 minutes saying I had a reservation confirmed at 8PM on the 20th (with dedicated contact person + phone/email) and an email confirmation 15 minutes later. Last I checked, it's not terribly easy to get a reservation there, let alone on a Friday night at primetime with 10 days notice.

This is far beyond anything Amex Cent has been able to get for me w/r/t dining reservations, which is odd since I believe both cards use Circles. The disclaimer is word-for-word the same at bottom of emails with the exception being that JPM does not explicitly say "Circles", they just say "business associate" and "concierge company"

Anyways, I think I've found my concierge provider of choice...can't wait to send more difficult tasks their way!
Old Feb 7, 2012, 8:30 am

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by crimson12
Someone asking this in the Amex forum got me thinking... could one of you with the Palladium card find out if they will get you a reservation at Rao's in New York?
I will check although I'm not sure I should post the answer either way - it could cause a run on Palladium card apps if the answer is affirmative.

UPDATE: and the answer was a very apologetic "no"

Last edited by jspira; Feb 7, 2012 at 7:45 pm
Old Feb 7, 2012, 8:30 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by rizwank
... giving out the card easy now and then in a year from now they are going to make it exclusive
I think it's the other way around. The card started out "exclusive" to JP Morgan clients, didn't achieve their objectives, and has now been opened. Citi did the same with their Chairman card. Any bank that seeks to compete with American Express faces the same problem, they need a critical mass of cardholders to be able to spread the cost of benefits. At first they will subsidize the benefits and run the card at a loss, but at some point the product has to generate a profit.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by mia
I think it's the other way around. The card started out "exclusive" to JP Morgan clients, didn't achieve their objectives, and has now been opened. Citi did the same with their Chairman card. Any bank that seeks to compete with American Express faces the same problem, they need a critical mass of cardholders to be able to spread the cost of benefits. At first they will subsidize the benefits and run the card at a loss, but at some point the product has to generate a profit.
Interesting... although there are earlier reports on the web about the exclusivity not being as exclusive as it seems...

At the moment, the deal package with the card falls just a bit short; and while I want to hate on my Platinum, re-reading the list of benefits online; it is a handy set.

Man, I love me some great concierge though.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 7:42 pm

I got the application sent to me via email. Thought there would be a number where I can fax it in, but it's not there. What number do you guys use to fax in your application?

TIA
Old Feb 7, 2012, 7:45 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by 5DMarkIIguy
I got the application sent to me via email. Thought there would be a number where I can fax it in, but it's not there. What number do you guys use to fax in your application?

TIA
I scanned mine, pw protected it, and e-mailed it to my banker.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by jspira
I will check although I'm not sure I should post the answer either way - it could cause a run on Palladium card apps if the answer is affirmative.

UPDATE: and the answer was a very apologetic "no"
Too bad! That itself would have been worth the annual fee!
Old Feb 8, 2012, 9:50 am

Mind asking if they provide access to the China Club in Hong Kong?

For everyone else : where did you apply directly from? Have you found it worth it? In a case like this -- if they end up upgrading the card abilities later; do they usually upgrade it for existing members?
Old Feb 22, 2012, 12:41 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Emerald Exec., PC Plat, AA, CO, DL, UBS Charter Card, Palladium Card, Amex Plat
Have to add.. I too, am very impressed with the conceirge. I called last minute for Valentines Day dinner reservations at a restaurant in NYC that was booked up the whole night and couldn't accommodate me when I had called them directly. Called Palladium, was put on hold while they called and told no go. I told him give me a call later with some likewise options. Missed the call about two hours later and when I checked the voicemail he said he had called back again and had spoken to the GM and persuaded them to make some room for me at the exact time I initially requested. ^
Old Feb 22, 2012, 9:15 am

Programs: A bunch
i havent read through this whole thread but was it brought up that one of the features is purchases through ultimate rewards site are worth 50% more?

i didnt realize that one. Pretty nice. So $1000 flight is only 50,000 points
Old Feb 22, 2012, 9:29 am
mia

Originally Posted by Stoutman11
So $1000 flight is only 50,000 points
Where do you see this? I believe it means that if you book paid travel through Ultimate Rewards you will earn 3 points per dollar rather than 2 if booked elsewhere.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by mia
Where do you see this? I believe it means that if you book paid travel through Ultimate Rewards you will earn 3 points per dollar rather than 2 if booked elsewhere.

Not a secret, points worth 50% more when booking thru the ultimate rewards site. I admit i didnt know that either. Makes your points worth double if booking thr UR.

Last edited by pointspinnacle; Feb 22, 2012 at 10:39 am Reason: typo
Old Feb 23, 2012, 11:12 am

Concierge is not at the same level as Amex

I have both Palladium and Amex Plat. Recently, I put both to tasks

1. Book a Ritz Carlton room for a few nights
2. Book a Michelin 3-star restaurant prime time on saturday

Task 1:
Amex Plat:
I can use Amex FHR online to book the room easily. It includes breakfast, upgrade at checkin, $100 food credit, early checkin, late checkout. Price is the same as whatever RC is charging on its website.

Palladium:
I have to call Palladium concierge for this one. "Rest assured, we have a very special connection with the Ritz Carlton chain and can get you the best amenities." Later, I got an email, quoting me a rate that is the same as the breakfast rate RC is charging. The amenities are: breakfast, upgrade at checkin, early checkin, late checkout. No $100 food credit. Higher rate than Amex FHR.

Task 2:
Amex Plat:
Done! With the exact time I want.

Palladium:
Couldn't secure a table even with a 2 hrs range. The sad part is I gave them almost a day headup. Both concierge came back at the same time. Palladium just couldn't do it.

With all of the hotel/airlines relationship Chase has, the Palladium should blow Amex out of the water. The restaurant is one thing, but the Ritz?

One thing I must give credit to Palladium is they are very professional over the phone. Much more than Amex concierge and asked the right questions that made me think they would be able to do it.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 11:37 am
mia

Originally Posted by Stoutman11
Not a secret, ...
Help us out and post a link to where this is mentioned. I cannot find it.

Last edited by mia; Feb 23, 2012 at 11:43 am
Old Feb 23, 2012, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Help us out and post a link to where this is mentioned. I cannot find it.
Hi MIA, i cannot link you to it unfortunatley. However if you go to your local branch and ask your banker to perhaps read the benefits to you off there system you can confirm. If your in Miami i believe there are branches down in south florida.

Its a nice feature so I am not sure why they dont market it better?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.