Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

UA 50K miles chase card award rescinded:( [due to previous UA Visa]

Old May 1, 10, 7:31 pm
Original Poster

I am pretty new to this, and dont know if others have had a similar issue..

I already had a United card with chase(i dont even know when i had applied) and now applied for the United card again. No issues, they directly sent me the card. Now I get a letter stating that since I already have a card, I wont be able to get the 50K signup bonus because its only for new members....

Is there a way to work around this???....the 50K would really help!
Old May 1, 10, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by shomethemiles View Post

I already had a United card with chase(i dont even know when i had applied) and now applied for the United card again. No issues, they directly sent me the card. Now I get a letter stating that since I already have a card, I wont be able to get the 50K signup bonus because its only for new members....

Normally bonuses only work for 1st time sign ups for the particular card at Chase.
Old May 2, 10, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by shomethemiles View Post

Were both cards exactly the same type of MP program cards , e.g. both were MP platinum, gold MP cards ?
Old May 2, 10, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, Sutherlands Lumber
MilesBuzz Business Law Clinic:

An agent of a company or someone who convinces a customer (s)he is an agent of a company makes an offer. If accepted, the company is required to perform.

In this case, an agent or someone posing as an agent assures a Chase/United Visa applicant that C/AV will provide that applicant a 50K FF mile bonus then C/UV is obligated to comply with this obligation.....regardless of undisclosed contracts or any other disclaimer.

Is this correct?

Last edited by pierre mclopez; May 2, 10 at 12:39 pm
Old May 2, 10, 12:57 pm
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
Offer Appears Extended

I've received two emails today from readers indicating the promo worked as of 5/2/10 by phone and another email indicated it was being extended until 6/7/10 as per a snail mail piece they received.
Old May 2, 10, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by pierre mclopez View Post
MilesBuzz Business Law Clinic:

An agent of a company or someone who convinces a customer (s)he is an agent of a company makes an offer. If accepted, the company is required to perform.

In this case, an agent or someone posing as an agent assures a Chase/United Visa applicant that C/AV will provide that applicant a 50K FF mile bonus then C/UV is obligated to comply with this obligation.....regardless of undisclosed contracts or any other disclaimer.

Is this correct?
Yes but at the time of the application, the T&C was the bonus was for only new applicants.
Old May 2, 10, 9:48 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, Sutherlands Lumber
Originally Posted by UA Fan View Post
Yes but at the time of the application, the T&C was the bonus was for only new applicants.
However, was this disclosed verbally by the CSR at the time of application which was also the time of approval?
Old May 2, 10, 11:04 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, BMI Silver
The offer I received by mail states June 7th, 2010
Old May 3, 10, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by ingy View Post
I've received two emails today from readers indicating the promo worked as of 5/2/10 by phone and another email indicated it was being extended until 6/7/10 as per a snail mail piece they received.
Called yesterday, was told offer ended 4/30. If you know otherwise, please advise.
Old May 4, 10, 3:23 pm

Just got another invitation by mail today good til June 21st, 2010

States apply online, by mail, or call 800-933-0690
Old May 5, 10, 5:59 pm

Programs: DL, CO, Hilton, SPG
Originally Posted by angel.x.martinez View Post
Just got another invitation by mail today good til June 21st, 2010

States apply online, by mail, or call 800-933-0690
How does one apply online for this offer?
Old May 6, 10, 1:20 am

Originally Posted by 4Health View Post
How does one apply online for this offer?
Unless you received an invitation, just call the number listed and state you received one and it states the promo is good til June 21st, 2010.

Online is most likely for the ones who have invitation codes.
Old May 6, 10, 1:50 am

Programs: AA EXP, MR Silver
There have been a number of similar, overlapping promos offered by Chase for UA MP members.

The general, open-admission 50k bonus was only available over the phone, and officially ended 4/30/10 (though some claim to have gotten through up to 5/2/10).

There are a number of slightly-different, invitation-only (promo code and invitation code required and must match an offer sent out by Chase) 50k bonus offers out there as well.

Unless you received an invitation, you will not be able to access those offers.

I applied for and received the open-admission card, and the 50k bonus posted to my MP account after my first statement closed. I have since received other, invitation-only offers from Chase in the mail, with offer expiration dates later than 4/30/10, but slightly different T&C from the card I actually applied for and received. The biggest difference seems to be that the invitation-only offers require a $250 spend to get the signup bonus, while the open-admission offer required only a first purchase.

If anyone has been able to sneak into the open-admission past 5/2/10, I've yet to hear or read about it, but the invitation-only offer letters do appear to still be going out.

Hope this helps.
Old May 6, 10, 3:27 pm

Programs: OnePass, MilesPlus, AAdvantage, SkyMiles (unfortunately), PC Plat, HH Silver, Marriott Aluminium
So let's say I have this friend, and he was denied the 50,000 mile bonus due to previous card ownership which essentially renders the card useless for him since the bonus was the only reason this friend got the card in the first place. Would Chase allow one to simply switch one card for another, close one-open another, say this MP Visa with a Priority Club one for instance, without having to go through the application process again? Or is that something that just won't fly? Even if the card has only been opened for less than a couple of weeks? Or if they actually would consider it, could you also get whatever bonus is associated with the card you are trading for (like 30,000 PC points for that card)?
Just trying to figure all the angles here. For my friend.
Old May 6, 10, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by brasov02 View Post
So let's say I have this friend, and he was denied the 50,000 mile bonus due to previous card ownership which essentially renders the card useless for him since the bonus was the only reason this friend got the card in the first place. Would Chase allow one to simply switch one card for another, close one-open another, say this MP Visa with a Priority Club one for instance, without having to go through the application process again? Or is that something that just won't fly? Even if the card has only been opened for less than a couple of weeks? Or if they actually would consider it, could you also get whatever bonus is associated with the card you are trading for (like 30,000 PC points for that card)?
Just trying to figure all the angles here. For my friend.
More card issuers used to do allow change to a different card product (downgrade, upgrade, etc.), consolidate or reallocate credit limits. In any cases, your friends would not be qualify for sign-up bonuses.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: