Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

[Expired 2009 offer]100,000 miles for new BA Chase VISA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Expired 2009 offer]100,000 miles for new BA Chase VISA

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2009, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
Originally Posted by Mr. Bean
btw, are you the same Middle Seat of WSJ fame?
No, that Middle Seat and my Middle_Seat are unrelated. I do subscribe to WSJ, but I don't write for them and they don't do my job for me
Old Dec 11, 2009, 3:53 pm

The link (post 1141) to the Chase application form for the 100k deal is still active, but all of the current promotions on ba.com and chase.com provide a link to the new (much lower) 30k benefit offer.

Anyone applying for the card today (and beyond) would, of course, be well advised to print and save a copy of the page showing the 100k promotion.

The View From The Wing blog is also reporting that the 100k golden goose is coming to an end today, but his source (he says "a little birdie" told him) is probably FlyerTalk, so that is not necessarily an independent verification.

All we can do is wait for the recent applicants to report to us the results of their quest. Who will be first?
Old Dec 11, 2009, 4:16 pm

I just applied

Was going to wait until Sunday but when I saw all your posts (thanks everyone!) I went ahead & did it this second, one for DH and one for myself. I printed each application before clicking "submit" but for anyone doing this, please note that the features of the card off to the left side of the application did NOT print, so I went back & did a screen print of the features FWIW.

One thing I noticed that annoyed me is that where the application asked for a Chase user ID & password, even though we have two MP cards that are in both names, with one of us being the primary on one & one of us being the primary on the other, but both names on both accounts, every time I entered the user ID & password it would populate with DH's information, so I had to go back in & apply as if I have no existing Chase accounts, when I am actually the primary on one of the two accounts. Something doesn't seem quite right about this.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 4:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum
I just applied for 2 cards (myself & the wifey). I am keeping my fingers crossed hoping that we will get the 100K miles. I have taken a few screen shots too..
Old Dec 11, 2009, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
My source wasn't Flyertalk. It came from reps for Chase, the same person who gave me the initial info about the card (before it came onto Flyertalk).
Old Dec 11, 2009, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
the link in post 1141 appears dead but the one in the edited first page (don't know which post it originally appeared in) is still live

just be sure to print out the application page to show the bonus offer you were signing up under, in case you need to fight for the miles later.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bergy Bits
Was going to wait until Sunday but when I saw all your posts (thanks everyone!) I went ahead & did it this second, one for DH and one for myself. I printed each application before clicking "submit" but for anyone doing this, please note that the features of the card off to the left side of the application did NOT print, so I went back & did a screen print of the features FWIW.

One thing I noticed that annoyed me is that where the application asked for a Chase user ID & password, even though we have two MP cards that are in both names, with one of us being the primary on one & one of us being the primary on the other, but both names on both accounts, every time I entered the user ID & password it would populate with DH's information, so I had to go back in & apply as if I have no existing Chase accounts, when I am actually the primary on one of the two accounts. Something doesn't seem quite right about this.
If you have read the posts on this thread, you should NOT use Chase Log In - which seems to create more trouble in the approval process than if you apply as a new customer.

Good Luck.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 8:00 pm

Redemption Coupon

Is this redemption coupon good for only for transatlantic flights (US<->EU) or flights from US to Asia as well ?

=ShyGuyCalif
Old Dec 11, 2009, 8:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by pinniped
Then, you receive one 2-for-1 cert for each account that has $30k per year charged.
I posted way upthread why the 2for1 is a raw deal, but will restate here (maybe the OP or a mod can add the bottom line to the sticky):

-your $30k spend is worth at least $600 (using Schwab as a benchmark)
-since the cert is only valid on BA metal, you need to pay fuel surcharges, which amount to around $600 per C ticket (varies by route, of course)
-therefore, your "free" tickets to Europe (or Asia if you are silly enough to fly via LHR) cost around $1200
-since Y tickets to Europe typically cost around $600, this reduces the value of your 100k miles to 4 transatl upgrades, only you won't earn miles
-add in the fact that you're giving up $600 in order to get the certs, and this is a raw deal

By contrast, a simple LAX-HKG RT in C is clean, nice, and neat. Even 4 domestic tickets would be a better use of the miles IMO.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 8:09 pm

Programs: EXP AA 5.7MM, Diamond HHonors, a bit of Marriott, a bit of United, a bit of this and that
Apply separately. Get two accounts, two account numbers, charge $2k to each.

Then, you receive one 2-for-1 cert for each account that has $30k per year charged. Since my wife and I combined charge maybe $40k per year, we will be calling this week to get a 2nd card issued on one account. Once we hit $2k on the other account, that card goes in a drawer and we focus $30k on a single account in 2010.

I don't know the full rules on BA family accounts, but from Chase's end the $30k needs to hit a SINGLE credit card account. So you start with 2 accounts to get your 200k, then eventually focus spending on one account....unless each of you spends $30k per year on your own cards.
Exactly our thinking. We're in the process of execution. First 2 K on her card are already charged, and it's no longer being used; a second card for her for my account is on the way. So far I have not charged anything to my account--come Jan 1 we'll hit it though to make the 30K. Until then we're using the SPG card and her Citi AA Amexco to get her to lifetime AA PLT. What a game!
Old Dec 11, 2009, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Once we hit $2k on the other account, that card goes in a drawer and we focus $30k on a single account in 2010.
Originally Posted by AAbuzzard
Exactly our thinking. We're in the process of execution.
I suppose both of you realize that the 2-for-1 rewards can only be used on BA Metals, which means you would incur $600+ taxes and fee on EACH award ticket, even though you only need to shell out miles for one award - but your cash outlay would be $1200+.

Moondog's post No.1434 goes even further to dissect it into cost of coach ticket with upgrade, except you would not earn miles on the reward, while an upgraded paid coach ticket would potentially earn you miles (depends on fare class as always).

Not to mention the opportunity cost incurred, such as the 2% cash rebate on the $30K if spent on a Schwab card or a Fidelity card - that is another $600 cost added to the $1000 extra cost redeeming BA flights.

Of course if you guys think $600+ cost for a non-stop US West Coast to LHR is still worth it for the J award - then it is a different story. Though I am with Moondog that this is not a good choice to use your miles, even on the surface it costs you 50% less miles, but it costs you cold, hard cash $1000 more than if you redeem it on partners even though the miles outlay doubled.

For the person asking about using the 2-for-1 going to Asia - it would cost you dearly in miles as BA does not fly from US to Asia - so you have to go to LHR then go to Asia. You better check the BA award chart to see if this makes sense to you.

Last edited by Happy; Dec 11, 2009 at 9:13 pm
Old Dec 11, 2009, 9:01 pm
xp0

hrmm ... seems I have some research to do. This isnt looking like as sweet of a deal as I thought while trying to rack up the 30k ...
Old Dec 11, 2009, 9:06 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by Happy
If you have read the posts on this thread, you should NOT use Chase Log In - which seems to create more trouble in the approval process than if you apply as a new customer.

Good Luck.
Unless you are like me and an my wife who both used our Chase logins to apply and thinks could not have been smoother.

I am guessing it is more than just using the Chase login that is causing trouble for some.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 9:08 pm

Programs: AA ExP
Originally Posted by Happy
Moondog's post No.1134goes even further...
Could you link that post? 1134 was not written by Moondog nor was 1143.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 9:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by HansGolden
Could you link that post? 1134 was not written by Moondog nor was 1143.
I'm too lazy to track down the exact post, but anyone with a spare 5 minutes could find it. Or, you could do the same analysis yourself. In any case, the short version (next most recent post by me) spells it out pretty clearly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.