Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

[Expired 2009 offer]100,000 miles for new BA Chase VISA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Expired 2009 offer]100,000 miles for new BA Chase VISA

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2010, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by maggersmagoo
I thought every ticket you buy on BA with this card came with a companion ticket? Or is it only a certificate good for future flights, but not the flight you are buying?
Only when you buy FULL FARE.

Edit:

I saw Mr. Bean already gave you detailed information.

I wish it would be the way you are thinking... wouldn't it be nice? If it works this way, it would be the KILLER CARD. ::
Old Mar 26, 2010, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

Originally Posted by Happy
Originally Posted by saacman5033
Hawaii is actually in the North America zone for AA for flights to everywhere except North America. Not applicable to BA miles but certainly useful otherwise.
I was talking in the context of the OP's post - he was referring to from Domestic USA to Hawaii, that the cost is not 25K.

Needless to say, I should be more specific in that.

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

Actually, it is applicable to BA miles, since BA miles can be redeemed for award travel on AA, and BA permits free en-route stopovers, even on partner award travel. So, for example, using BA miles to redeem for AA award travel from EZE to MIA should cost the same number of miles as EZE-MIA (stopover)-LAX (stopover)-OGG. In fact, depending on how BAEC defines "most direct route", one might even be able to redeem for EZE-JFK-LAX-OGG on a single award.

Edited to add: I just re-checked the BA award chart, and see that South America to Hawaii costs slightly more miles than South America to the lower 48 (25,000 miles for a one-way coach award to Hawaii versus 20,000 miles to the lower 48), so that was a bad example. But flying from the Caribbean or Central America to Hawaii on one partner (AA) costs the same number of miles as flying from the Caribbean or Central America to the lower 48. And flying from the Far East to Hawaii or the Caribbean on one partner (AA) also costs the same number of miles as flying from the Far East to the lower 48.
While it is all good and handy - most posters on this thread are NOT thinking the types of redemption you kindly posted. I would venture to say 99% of the new proud owners of this nice pile of BA miles would redeem their awards ORIGINATING from North America.

Therefore, while the above information is indeed good to know, it is not very relevant to those who seek for advices. Would you yourself to take a position flight to South America, or Far East, or wherever where it is outside North America, in order to redeem such type of award?

Besides, only US residents are eligible for this card to begin with. Therefore, the discussion of award redemption should keep this in mind in order to make the discussion helpful and relevant to the majority of readers.
Happy, I think you are missing the point. I'm sure you wouldn't call your upcoming trip to Turkey a "positoning" flight, but once you are there, you can use your AA all-partner award to get back to Florida, stopover at home for months using AA's free North American stopover, and then go on -- months later, if desired -- to California, Hawaii, Alaska, etc. The same principle applies to the free stopovers on the BA awards. Once someone gets to Hawaii or the Caribbean or Central America (either by paying cash or using a one-way award) one can effectively get two more vacation trips out of two one-way awards. For example, make the beginning of your BA award the return to the U.S. from the Caribbean; then, months later, continue to Hawaii or somewhere else. Use another one-way award to get back home from Hawaii; stay home a few weeks or a few months; and then continue on to the Caribbean, Central America, etc. This obviously would require some pre-planning, and only work for people who live near a valid AA connecting point between the two ends of the award, but I suspect that there are more than a few FTers in that category, including you.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by guv1976

Happy, I think you are missing the point. I'm sure you wouldn't call your upcoming trip to Turkey a "positoning" flight, but once you are there, you can use your AA all-partner award to get back to Florida, stopover at home for months using AA's free North American stopover, and then go on -- months later, if desired -- to California, Hawaii, Alaska, etc. The same principle applies to the free stopovers on the BA awards. Once someone gets to Hawaii or the Caribbean or Central America (either by paying cash or using a one-way award) one can effectively get two more vacation trips out of two one-way awards. For example, make the beginning of your BA award the return to the U.S. from the Caribbean; then, months later, continue to Hawaii or somewhere else. Use another one-way award to get back home from Hawaii; stay home a few weeks or a few months; and then continue on to the Caribbean, Central America, etc.
I believe what you have come up, is way beyond the knowledge level of your readership of this thread which really should not be a discussion thread on how to redeem award to begin with.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 9:30 pm

Programs: AA MM EP, QF Gold, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTT, HH Gold, National Exec, Hertz PC
I believe what you have come up, is way beyond the knowledge level of your readership of this thread which really should not be a discussion thread on how to redeem award to begin with.
Isn't finding ways to maximize earning and redeeming miles what FT is about?
Old Mar 26, 2010, 9:49 pm

Programs: Dime con quien andas,y te dire quien eres
Wha?
Old Mar 26, 2010, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by merrickdb
Isn't finding ways to maximize earning and redeeming miles what FT is about?
This thread is not for discussing redemption of BA miles.

More appropriate place should be in BA forum which is where you should go to discuss about BA miles, usage et al.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 10:44 pm

Programs: Dime con quien andas,y te dire quien eres
Happy:This thread is not for discussing redemption of BA miles.

Yeah! ^^^

Why can't these people follow your example?
Old Mar 27, 2010, 12:23 am

I agree (as usual) with Happy's 2 main points-this is way beyond most readers here and BA redemption strategy might best be placed in its own area.

That said, Gov1976's thoughts are jewels, and bring together loose ends I've been pondering for a while. I need to re-read and confirm:

Does BA allow stopovers or one stopover on a one way award?

Any further indication if travel using the 2-for-1 vouvhers that came with the Chase card 30k spend will be bookable offfline (despite the T&Cs which say otherqise)?
Old Mar 27, 2010, 12:35 am

Programs: AA MM EP, QF Gold, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTT, HH Gold, National Exec, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
I agree (as usual) with Happy's 2 main points-this is way beyond most readers here and BA redemption strategy might best be placed in its own area.

That said, Gov1976's thoughts are jewels, and bring together loose ends I've been pondering for a while. I need to re-read and confirm:

Does BA allow stopovers or one stopover on a one way award?

Any further indication if travel using the 2-for-1 vouvhers that came with the Chase card 30k spend will be bookable offfline (despite the T&Cs which say otherqise)?
BA allows unlimited stopovers on a one-way award, though supposedly along the most direct route. Going from New York to Easter Island, for example (20K one-way in Y, 40K in J), you could, according to BA, have stopovers in Lima, Buenos Aires, and Santiago.

Others have reported that the T&Cs for the companion voucher have been changed to allow booking by phone (allowing for stopovers outside of LON).
Old Mar 27, 2010, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by stephem
It's funny but I think that people are slightly blinded by the 2:1 offer. The reality in my view is that single partner award on non-BA metal is a better deal. Look at CX to Asia, F for 150k miles roundtrip. I'm not sure stretching to get 30k spend on a card is worth it for a 2:1 award on BA metal (for that same route the award cost is much, much higher). If you are going to have that spend anyway, fine, but if you are "overspending" or over using a card to get there then I am not sure it's worth it. I personally would have rather gotten a 2:1 voucher that is good with a paid ticket... I fly paid J on BA all the time and would find more value in that for bringing my wife along on a trip.
Huh? I normally use 200K from my Amex MR account ($200K in purchases) for two LH First tickets to Europe. I signed up for the BA Chase card in December, charged $30K of normal purchases in the first six weeks of this year, netted 150K miles, received my companion cert last week and just booked two BA First tickets for May. I doubt you can find a better deal than that.

Last edited by SFO777; Mar 27, 2010 at 9:04 am Reason: Typo - six weeks, not months
Old Mar 27, 2010, 8:42 am

100,000 miles

I am confused..is this still a valid offer...

if not what is the best current offer on this card...

could someone please email me the link to use?

Thank you very much.

Doug
Old Mar 27, 2010, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by ddfr
I am confused..is this still a valid offer...
Nope, the offer is dead.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 12:09 pm

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
This thread is not for discussing redemption of BA miles.

More appropriate place should be in BA forum which is where you should go to discuss about BA miles, usage et al.
Agreed - here is a good thread from the oneworld forum related to that:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...rd-ticket.html

That thread is about South America, but the concepts are transferable
Old Mar 27, 2010, 4:07 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
That's fine if you are looking for that specific redemption (which I agree is a good deal) and you have $30k to throw around in six weeks, let alone 12 months.

My point was that for a routing like US-Asia, the 2:1 cert isnt really a great deal. It's pretty much both a wash in terms of miles and fuel surcharges to use the single partner award. So anyone who is working really hard to get $30k onto the card might do better to consider whether the 2:1 is worth begging borrowing and stealing. I'm also coming at this from the perspective of an actual BA flyer, so I'm not limited to the miles from the credit card. So for me, using the 100k to top up my account for a 2nd F tix on CX is a better deal than redeeming the BA 2:1 cert.

Originally Posted by SFO777
Huh? I normally use 200K from my Amex MR account ($200K in purchases) for two LH First tickets to Europe. I signed up for the BA Chase card in December, charged $30K of normal purchases in the first six weeks of this year, netted 150K miles, received my companion cert last week and just booked two BA First tickets for May. I doubt you can find a better deal than that.
Old Mar 28, 2010, 7:29 pm

Programs: DL, BA, AA, UA, HHonors, PC
If this question has been answered, I apologize as I tried to perform a search on this thread.

If you have a companion voucher, can you use the cash and miles option? Would the miles be matched then you would just pay the same amount of cash for the additional person? Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.