Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

[Expired 2009 offer]100,000 miles for new BA Chase VISA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Expired 2009 offer]100,000 miles for new BA Chase VISA

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2010, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by moondog
The "annual" fee entitles you to 12 months (or one annum) of benefits. Personally, I'm inclined to shave off the last month in order to avoid any risk of a fee related tussle with Chase, but we all paid for 12 months (well, some of us didn't, but we're in the same boat). In summary, there's no rush; just make a memo to yourself to call Chase before your next annual fee is due.
I'm with moondog on this one. Since I've paid for the 12 months, and you earn 1.25 miles per $ spent, I'm using this as my "go to" VISA until month 11, then pay that statement and cancel it before the next fee is assessed. Then back to my other free visa from Chase.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moondog
6 months. BTW, I'm surprised that so many people care about this issue. While I have other cards that provide greater fruits for spending, 1.25 miles per dollar isn't such a bad deal.
It is almost as good as SPG card when you are looking at the miles redemption, especially if the partner awards work for your travel plan. Of course this is the perspective from someone who regularly accumulate miles and points for travel rewards.

You have to remember this BA card has lured in many many people who have never had a travel reward card, or even reward-earning card. Those folks do not have the forward-looking view in their mind.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fly1346
Now that miles have posted, its funny that BA wants additional $500 in taxes and fees for me to book an awards ticket JFK-MAN,

anyone have any good suggestions/ideas for flights originating from JFK, where I wouldn't have to pay much in taxes?
Thanks
The BA fuel surcharge on BA metal has been discussed Ad nauseum on this thread.

If you have to use BA metal, making LHR as a transit point with a final destination somewhere in the Continent would shave off the London airport tax.

Do a search of Steve in Olympia's posts to learn about how this work.

But you will still have to pay the BA fuel surcharge because if you insist to fly BA for TATL from East Coast - about the least value you can get from these miles - you have to pay the fuel surcharge.

FYI, the other partners you can use to fly TATL are AY and IB. AA is 100% excluded. IB fuel surcharge is only slightly lower than BA's. AY flies to HEL before you can connect to elsewhere in Europe.

Also FYI, Europe in BA program is separated into Zones - each zone has different mileage requirements. Details found on BA website under "spending BA miles", as well as posted many times on this thread.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by BizClsDreaming
I'm with moondog on this one. Since I've paid for the 12 months, and you earn 1.25 miles per $ spent, I'm using this as my "go to" VISA until month 11, then pay that statement and cancel it before the next fee is assessed. Then back to my other free visa from Chase.
yes I agree on that. but I what I want to know is - will I loose any unused BA points when I close the card at the end of 12 months ? if I am going to loose them then I'll have to think of spending it soon
Old Mar 19, 2010, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list

anyone have any good suggestions/ideas for flights originating from JFK, where I wouldn't have to pay much in taxes?

Thanks
JFK-Hawaii on AA.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 12:43 pm

sorry for the noobness, I've searched, but dont seem to come up with aynthing,
how would I be able to book with someone like RJ, for a JFK-AMM?
Old Mar 19, 2010, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by flytiger001
yes I agree on that. but I what I want to know is - will I loose any unused BA points when I close the card at the end of 12 months ? if I am going to loose them then I'll have to think of spending it soon
I doubt they'd take back unused miles, just because you didn't renew. The potential 6 month window makes sense to prevent churning, but if at the end of the first year you decide not to renew, Chase has made their fee from you, BA has a new FF member, all should be happy.
BA would want you to keep your miles: carrot-and-stick way of trying to get you to fly on them (or another OW carrier) so you can accrue more miles with them.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by flytiger001
You shouldn't lose any BA miles that have actually been credited to your BA Executive Club account. There's no requirement to have a BA credit card to collect miles in the BA Executive Club account.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 1:43 pm

This might not be the best bet, but this is what I've done looking for flights to AMM:

Either just try a dummy booking with BA (LON-AMM leg is on BMI, I think), or a dummy booking on AA, which routes you via ORD or NYC (can't remember off the top of my head) on RJ. Once you know who flies from where, and on what days, and where they connect, etc. you can try a reward booking on BA, selecting partner airlines, etc.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Use OneWorld interactive route map to see the possible routing. Then call BA to check if there is inventory.

RJ's reservation system does not talk well to other members of OneWorld, including AA's. It is a pain to book award seats on RJ but can be done.

Go to AA forum to do your search you would find more useful information regarding checking award seats on RJ.
Old Mar 20, 2010, 9:03 am

FYI...I don't know if anyone else got a call from Chase CS for a brief survey. But during the survey they made a point to highlight all of the features of the card. When discussing the companion voucher, the rep told me that even if I didn't spend the $30,000 to earn one in the fastest way, I would receive one on my 1 year account anniversary.
Old Mar 20, 2010, 9:09 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Originally Posted by animalj7
FYI...I don't know if anyone else got a call from Chase CS for a brief survey. But during the survey they made a point to highlight all of the features of the card. When discussing the companion voucher, the rep told me that even if I didn't spend the $30,000 to earn one in the fastest way, I would receive one on my 1 year account anniversary.
What !! Has anyone else been told this?? This would make a big difference !
Old Mar 20, 2010, 9:33 am

I am not sure if this or BA forum is the best place to ask the question, but for those who have been a BA member for a while... Does BA release more premium seats closer to the date of travel? I've been looking for LHR-SIN (one way) for July and availability is not great (only 3 dates out of 31).

If so, when's the best time to check back? 30 days? A week? 4-5 days before travel?
Old Mar 20, 2010, 2:36 pm

I have not heard of it either and it's not in the t&c. I think the rep may have been misinformed. Unless it's Chase way to keeping card members for another year, it doesn't seemed very realistic. They would have to issue out a lot of these certificates; those who spent 30k in a year would not be happy, and the value of those certificates would be high (if those are the " award "companion certificate and not those useless companion certificates).

Anyway, that's my take. I haven't heard otherwise but it'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

Originally Posted by JIMCHI
What !! Has anyone else been told this?? This would make a big difference !
Old Mar 20, 2010, 3:45 pm

Programs: CO, Delta, British Airways, Jetblue
Smile Miles Posting with new application

Just wanted to say that after applying for the card it took about 2 weeks to get the card. 3-4 weeks after getting the card the first 50,000 points were posted. I believe this coincides with the closing of my first statement since I have a posting of miles from my statement too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.