Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

[Expired 2009 offer]100,000 miles for new BA Chase VISA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Expired 2009 offer]100,000 miles for new BA Chase VISA

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2010, 1:49 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA MM 1K, UK Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb
Offer still open?

Is the 100k offer still open? can somebody please post the link?
Old Mar 5, 2010, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beachmiles
HAPPY, I have a 20 something child , with less than perfect credit. Can you name a "lesser card" that gives some points or miles. Since he may not get the BA card.
Define what this means.

If it is only very little credit history, he can apply some of Citi's offerings that are geared to the young people. Go to Citicard site to peruse the options. They earn Thank You Points and you can check the reward redemption options on ThankYou Network's site.

If it is a credit history has blemish - then it will be very tough. Get a Secured CC to rebuild the credit history. A Secured CC is a CC backed by restricted money in the bank.

The primary goal for your 20 something child is to build a solid credit history going forward. The rest will come once that is established.

Last edited by Happy; Mar 5, 2010 at 8:57 pm
Old Mar 5, 2010, 5:28 pm

Actually I got approved for BA visa with a big credit line with a blemish on my credit report- recent collections activity for disputing my t-mobile termination fee. I am still disputing it with t-mobile but it was on my report when I applied. AMEX cut out two of my cards (over $12,000 in credit lines) because of this. I have had a UAL visa with Chase with perfect record since 2000 and otherwise perfect credit. What I did was prepay my credit cards so my balances and utilization were zero and then apply at the deadline. Much to my surprise, I was approved with a huge credit line (I had $50K credit line before my application).

If anyone from Chase is reading this don't worry, I've been making prepayments on my BA visa to keep a negative (credit) balance! Once I get the t-mobile dispute off my report my score should go back up....
Old Mar 5, 2010, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by schistosomiasis
Actually I got approved for BA visa with a big credit line with a blemish on my credit report- recent collections activity for disputing my t-mobile termination fee. I am still disputing it with t-mobile but it was on my report when I applied. AMEX cut out two of my cards (over $12,000 in credit lines) because of this. I have had a UAL visa with Chase with perfect record since 2000 and otherwise perfect credit. What I did was prepay my credit cards so my balances and utilization were zero and then apply at the deadline. Much to my surprise, I was approved with a huge credit line (I had $50K credit line before my application).

If anyone from Chase is reading this don't worry, I've been making prepayments on my BA visa to keep a negative (credit) balance! Once I get the t-mobile dispute off my report my score should go back up....
If the reports about Chase is reviewing applications MANUALLY, your "blemish" is not a real blemish, especially if you have provided your side of the story on your credit report. (item in dispute, and why)
Old Mar 5, 2010, 9:27 pm

Programs: NW Silver, CO Silver,SPG Gold, USMint Presidential, Chase/BA 100k, Airtran Wendy's cups
Originally Posted by Happy
Sorry to hear about that.

However you guys have made a classic mistake that a lot of couples before you have made, even in decades ago. That is, one person, usually the husband, in the household takes care of all the banking / finance needs and have the spouse on the authorized user on everything. What happens, that spouse NEVER establishes s/he as an INDIVIDUAL, has the ability to repay the debt, or demonstrate being financially responsible. When the husband dies, the wife suddenly finds out she has no way to get credit because she has never had a credit history of her own.

You need to get your SO to apply some "lesser" cards, that are easier to get, and establish her own credit history - it is really important for her own sake. She needs to have her OWN identity in the financial world. Else, you will encounter the SAME trouble again and again.
I happen to disagree with that statement I saw the other day a young girl who had a 756 credit score who only had 3 trade lines that were all authorized users. My experience is it builds the same. But one will never know for sure since the credit agencies will never post the formula. My wife and I don't share one account. We do this as an insurance policy in case we run into trouble and we have to do the unthinkable. That way one of us will have good credit.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 9:37 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Any thoughts on a # at Chase to call to get a live body to discuss rejection of an application?
I have been trying to get one of these for a while and have had no luck, Chase keeps dinging me, including just recently when the 100k promo opened briefly again. I would like to call in on this latest one and just ask them what the hell they want, a deposit, for me to get rid of another Chase card, I don't care. I really want a BA card, as I am a BA Gold and fly them a fair amount.
I'm not a credit risk (don't have problems getting other cards) but think I'm either too heavy into Chase cards or they don't like recent Citibank churning...
Old Mar 5, 2010, 9:38 pm

Programs: NW Silver, CO Silver,SPG Gold, USMint Presidential, Chase/BA 100k, Airtran Wendy's cups
Originally Posted by skyline101
How long will it take to receive the 50K bonus miles after the first purchase?

I heard it was 6 to 8 weeks after the statement ends?

Please clarify

Thanks!
Bought 2500 in coins middle of November. 2000 were delivered in middle and end of December. 2000 points were posted on my January statement and 500 more in February. $500 got lost in UPS and I had to file a claim. The mint just refunded my credit card the other day. Now I wonder if they will take back those 500 miles and kind of nervous since I hit the minimum required for the bonus miles. Glad I ordered 2500 vs 2000.

01/01/2010 01/01/2010 Payment Payment - Thank You(Other)
$-500.00
12/29/2009 12/30/2009 Sale US MINT COIN SALES-DR(Other)
$500.00
12/25/2009 12/27/2009 Payment Payment - Thank You(Other)
$-2,075.00
12/11/2009 12/13/2009 Sale US MINT COIN SALES-DR(Other)
$1,500.00
12/08/2009 12/09/2009 Sale US MINT COIN SALES-DR(Other)
$500.00
12/01/2009 12/01/2009 Fee ANNUAL MEMBERSHIP FEE(Other)
$75.00

Order #: 3xxxxxxx - 1 Order Date: 11/17/09
Date Returned: 3/02/10

Amount Credited : 500.00-

Total miles transferred to Executive Club 102,500

The late Dec 29 500 charge posted in my February statement, but one of those $500 charges will most likely be returned since I filed the claim for lost coins.

Last edited by nwa330; Mar 5, 2010 at 9:54 pm
Old Mar 5, 2010, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nwa330
I happen to disagree with that statement I saw the other day a young girl who had a 756 credit score who only had 3 trade lines that were all authorized users. My experience is it builds the same. But one will never know for sure since the credit agencies will never post the formula. My wife and I don't share one account. We do this as an insurance policy in case we run into trouble and we have to do the unthinkable. That way one of us will have good credit.
You tend to think a credit score means everything for a credit report. No it does not.

I have seen young man with 800+ credit score, 65K annual income 3 years out of college, yet he is denied for mortgage by most every bank he applied even with 30% downpayment - reason: Not enough credit history because he has only one credit card (not an authorized user, but his own name). He finally got his mortgage at a crumbly rate (5xx a month or two ago) from the bank where he has had a custodian brokerage account opened by his mom decade ago.

Re: god_forbids' post No.3179, his SO has a high 700 FICO but Chase told him they DONT consider the FICO at all... You better read that post to understand better the issue god_forbids' SO is facing. She has high FICO but no credit history. And that is the challenge she is facing.

I am surprised that you being in banking industry would have the false idea that FICO is a be-all, end-all factor. While it may be, for the determination of the rate on the loan, it is not by all means, the sole determining factor in approving a loan / extending a credit line.

You scare me even more by your view on the FICO, given your profession as a bank loan officer.

Last edited by Happy; Mar 5, 2010 at 10:57 pm
Old Mar 5, 2010, 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
You tend to think a credit score means everything for a credit report. No it does not.

I have seen young man with 800+ credit score, 65K annual income 3 years out of college, yet he is denied for mortgage by most every bank he applied even with 30% downpayment - reason: Not enough credit history because he has only one credit card (not an authorized user, but his own name). He finally got his mortgage at a crumbly rate (5xx a month or two ago) from the bank where he has had a custodian brokerage account opened by his mom decade ago.

I am surprised that you being in banking industry would have the false idea that FICO is a be-all, end-all factor. While it may be, for the determination of the rate on the loan, it is not by all means, the sole determining factor in approving a loan / extending a credit line.
You right Fico isn't everything but its a lot. now I don't have any experience with government backed 1st mortgages however the score does carry a lot of weight for what I do. Most of the weight we look at is financial. We spread them, analyze them, looks at cash flow, inventory levels, accounts payable and receivable. But in consumer lending its mostly score driven, time on job, banking relationship and collateral value. You sound knowledgeable in banking what do you do?
Old Mar 5, 2010, 11:08 pm

Thanks happy. Credit Risk must be cracking down with all the new government regulations. possibly they are looking at this more closely then they did in the past. I would recommend the poster to go get a CD secured loan, termed out for 60 months. This will give him/her solid installment payment history in addition she/he needs to go to her personal banker and have them take credit card application and push the underwriting dept to get a policy override to save the relationship. The other issue is we don't know her/him DI. Possibly they are over their heads and the bank does not want to extend them more credit..

Chase is probably doing their own internal scoring system. We have those too. Although its not been implemented full stream yet. that's been at my bank for years. This is probably why I here clients telling me our rate is better then Chase.

Happy, so many bank have different policies and its hard to compare on to another. When a church comes for a loan, first thing I look at is the score then we go from there. Score, SBFE score, and Moody rating is the first things I look at. Then I look at TBE(total bank exposure) And what worse is policy seems to be changing every day to keep up in this financial crisis.

We look at the whole picture Credit Capacity Character. a good score is the only way to start the process, unless you have a large relationship.

Last edited by nwa330; Mar 6, 2010 at 1:15 pm
Old Mar 6, 2010, 3:33 am

Originally Posted by stephem
Any thoughts on a # at Chase to call to get a live body to discuss rejection of an application?
Chase: 800-432-3117 (App status)
Chase: 888-270-2127 (App recon)
Chase: 877-781-3109 (combining & product change)
Chase: 888-245-0625 (Credit Analyst - Recons)

try the 2 (888) numbers ^
Old Mar 6, 2010, 12:01 pm

Just curious: Steve, was that $288 for a coach R/T ticket - at 50,000 miles...

Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
I am flying BA round trip from Seattle to Geneva, during peak season, with layovers in London on both legs of the trip, and the fee is only $288. That is a great deal, no matter how you calculate it. My savings are substantially greater than $1,000.
..or for a Business R/T at 100, 000?

And, is this an all-BA itinerary (Seattle-London-Geneva)?

Also, by "layover" does that mean you can stay in London 2-3 days if you wish?

Finally, were you able to book this flight via the BA website? (Or would you need to contact an agent by phone since two cities [London and Geneva] are involved?)

Thanks for any information you can share on this. (I am thinking about a similar itinerary.)
Old Mar 6, 2010, 12:17 pm

Muji, here are the answers to your questions:

$288 was the tax/fee surcharge for a WT flight. A CW (business) flight is around $320.
Yes, this was an all-BA itinerary.
Yes, you can layover in London for several days in each direction. No extra charge.
Yes, you can do this very easily on the website by just clicking the "layover" button on the screen that shows you the dates that flights are available. The website then produces two monthly calendars and you can use the first calendar to pick the date for your flight to London, and the second calendar to pick you subsequent date for your flight to Geneva (or Paris, or Venice, etc.)

It is very easy. I have done this almost every year for the past six years, and recently booked my September 2010 trip. But seat availability is getting very tight for the peak months.
Old Mar 6, 2010, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nwa330
Thanks happy. Credit Risk must be cracking down with all the new government regulations. possibly they are looking at this more closely then they did in the past. I would recommend the poster to go get a CD secured loan termed out for 60 months. this will give him/her solid installment payment history in addition she/he needs to go to her personal banker and have them take credit card application and push the underwriting dept to get a policy override to save the relationship. The other issue id we don't know her/him DI. possibly they are over their heads.

Chase is probably doing their own internal scoring system. We have those too. Although its not been implemented full stream yet. that's been at my bank for years. This is probably why I here clients telling me our rate is better then Chase.

Happy, so many bank have different policies and its hard to compare on to another. When a church comes for a loan, first thing I look at is the score then we go from there. Score, SBFE score, and Moody rating is the first things I look at. Then I look at TBE(total bank exposure) And what worse is policy seems to be changing every day to keep up in this financial crisis.

We look at the whole picture Credit Capacity Character. a good score is the only way to start the process, unless you have a large relationship.
Very true.

It is frustrating for many consumers who are perfectly good risks in any measure, but found them being caught in this new environment because their credit history is too short (less than 10 years). Really there is nothing one can do but deal with it as you suggest.
Old Mar 6, 2010, 1:13 pm

delete

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.