Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

[Expired 2009 offer]100,000 miles for new BA Chase VISA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Expired 2009 offer]100,000 miles for new BA Chase VISA

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2010, 6:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by troyb
You know you can get to Europe using BA miles on airlines other than BA, right? Iberia and Finnair come to mind.
IB's fees are in the same league as BA's; Finnair (embarrassingly, I can't remember the code) is a bit better, but still not on par with US based airlines.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 6:24 pm

The $312 in fees isnt so bad as long as you go during the summer. Tickets to London or Paris usually go for $900-$1,000 RT. So if you get two economy tickets and pay $600 in fees, you are basically getting $1300 off in airfare.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 7:14 pm

Programs: OnePass, MilesPlus, AAdvantage, SkyMiles (unfortunately), PC Plat, HH Silver, Marriott Aluminium
Wink

Originally Posted by specialeffects
Dude the Miles you are getting are 100k vs 30K (if you opened a CO CC), $215 for 70k miles is a smoking deals. If you cant do that math then I guess u should'nt be in this game.
Dude, u obviously are missing my point but thanks for the effort. And dude, u might consider at least some minimal grammar checking. That almost hurt trying to translate.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
Simply put, since I can spend $2.50 (plus points) to fly to from anywhere east of Chicago to Shanghai, I'm not so cool with the $300 options.
I am flying BA round trip from Seattle to Geneva, during peak season, with layovers in London on both legs of the trip, and the fee is only $288. That is a great deal, no matter how you calculate it. My savings are substantially greater than $1,000.

Yes, moondog, I could fly to Shanghai for almost free. Yes, moondog, Shanghai is a better deal. But I don't want to go to Shanghai. I want to go to Geneva. And Geneva is a very good deal. It is not particularly relevant that there are better deals that go to different destinations.

That's like saying I shouldn't buy a suit on sale because the store is offering even better deals on dresses.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 10:30 pm

I just redeemed my first award!

LAX-HKG-CAN, March 2 (arriving March 4)

Since I wanted to take care of business tonight, and both US and UK call centers were closed, I transacted via the HK service center, which required me to switch to an Asian address. While this was no problem for me, any of you who haven't had your second 50k post should refrain from going this route (because you'll never see those miles).

I got the phone fee waived (with a bit of pushing) and I booked a separate ticket with AS miles from PDX to LAX.

Bottom line:

50k BA miles plus $500HK

12.5K AS miles plus $2.50

Last edited by moondog; Feb 28, 2010 at 10:51 pm
Old Feb 28, 2010, 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
Yes, moondog, Shanghai is a better deal. But I don't want to go to Shanghai.
I don't aspire to attack your advice and I hope you enjoy GVA.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 8:21 am

Returning purchases

Hi All,
If I return one of my purchases that helped me reach by $2k, will I lose the miles I earned?
Thanks
Old Mar 1, 2010, 8:23 am
Suspended

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"
Originally Posted by moondog
LAX-HKG-CAN, March 2 (arriving March 4)

Since I wanted to take care of business tonight, and both US and UK call centers were closed, I transacted via the HK service center, which required me to switch to an Asian address. While this was no problem for me, any of you who haven't had your second 50k post should refrain from going this route (because you'll never see those miles).

I got the phone fee waived (with a bit of pushing) and I booked a separate ticket with AS miles from PDX to LAX.

Bottom line:

50k BA miles plus $500HK

12.5K AS miles plus $2.50
I redeemed one from TXL to MAD on IB. In C. 15k miles and $90 in taxes. Not a great theoretical use of miles but a. it's not actually on BA, which is very important for the accounting hit, and b. it totally solves my need to travel between open jaws of a FD Star itin at a high-demand time. Even the locos wanted $200 for the one-way on that particular day, so this was genuinely helpful.

I can restore the 15k through mild CC spend anyway, so no problem to get back to square one before I try for a big one.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 9:22 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
nybelle....i wouldn't try it w/o checking w/chase unless you return it after your spend is $2k + the amount of the return.....i have thought about doing this if i was short and nearing the deadline and could see the spend to cover the return... perhaps you would only lose the 2nd 50k mi....good luck

ps....i would buy gift cards from stores that i use, like grocery, drug,restaurants, etc, if i'm short....
Old Mar 1, 2010, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by nybelle
Hi All,
If I return one of my purchases that helped me reach by $2k, will I lose the miles I earned?
Thanks

I made a return, but I also charged an equal amount so I wouldn't go below 2K in spending. I don't think doing otherwise would be worth the risk.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by clacko
nybelle....i wouldn't try it w/o checking w/chase unless you return it after your spend is $2k + the amount of the return.....i have thought about doing this if i was short and nearing the deadline and could see the spend to cover the return... perhaps you would only lose the 2nd 50k mi....good luck

ps....i would buy gift cards from stores that i use, like grocery, drug,restaurants, etc, if i'm short....
I saw this mentioned earlier: do you think I can buy AMEX gift cards? Anybody try this?
Old Mar 1, 2010, 9:55 am

Programs: US,PC
Nybelle

I believe there should be no problem since you will be purchasing something from store.

In my case, to reach specified limit. I used to get a walmart gift card loaded with some specified amount and use that gift card for subsequent transactions.
This way I never paid anything extra. I believe ,you lose a bit of money when you buy amex gift cards.

Some other techniques I used for achieving minimum spend are paying 2 or 3 months phone bill, internet bill in advance.

But of course, you must have money in your account to pay off these cards.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 10:24 am

Programs: AA Gold, UA MM 1K, UK Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by brasov02
Dude, u obviously are missing my point but thanks for the effort. And dude, u might consider at least some minimal grammar checking. That almost hurt trying to translate.
English is my third language, forgive my grammar
Old Mar 1, 2010, 10:48 am

I have the card and currently have 102,701 miles with BA. I've been reading through the thread and am a little confused as how to best use the miles for upcoming trips.

I haven't figured if BA miles converts to partner miles 1 to 1 or not (e.g. convert 35k BA mile to 35K AA miles to book RT flight to HNL from TPA).

I want to go to Ireland for a week and then Jordan for 3 weeks and have found through flight search tools a price of about $1400 for the multi-city trip. Should I just hold off on using my miles for a complicated multi-city trip on probably several airlines or is there some way to use them to greatly reduce that cost?
Old Mar 1, 2010, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by mblitch
I haven't figured if BA miles converts to partner miles 1 to 1 or not (e.g. convert 35k BA mile to 35K AA miles to book RT flight to HNL from TPA).
You cannot convert miles from BA to AA. You redeem them through BA, even for partner flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.