Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

[Expired 2009 offer]100,000 miles for new BA Chase VISA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Expired 2009 offer]100,000 miles for new BA Chase VISA

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2010, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nybelle
My statement close date is Mar 3. The most recent charge of about 2500 posted 2/24. I thought that the points would post a couple of days after the charge, but you're saying they won't post until after the statement closes...
Virtually almost all reward cards (cards that earn something on the spending) would only post the reward, be it miles or points, AFTER statement close date, for the spending made on THAT statement cycle.

BA card earns MILES, not points. Since your husband also flies BA on pay ticket, you really should refer the 2 DIFFERENT reward currencies.

Originally Posted by nybelle
I was originally trying to get the points and then cancel the card, but I'm not going to do that. Too risky, and doesn't seem right; $75 is a small fee to pay for that many points. I was just worried when I didn't see the points yet.
You are getting 100K BA miles worth Thousands of $ and you want to get the prorated refund of $75? Talk about penny wise pound foolish.

If you want to stay on the good side of Chase, you should at least keep the card for over 6 months.
Also, since you already paid the $75 annual fee, why not keep the card till anniversary, especially your husband obviously flies BA enough to earn Silver status. The card gives you $50 discount when purchasing BA flights online. You also earn 2.5 BA miles per $ spent on buying BA tickets, versus only 1.25 miles on other spending, in case you have no idea about other benefits.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 12:23 pm

points noted. thanks!

Originally Posted by Happy
Virtually almost all reward cards (cards that earn something on the spending) would only post the reward, be it miles or points, AFTER statement close date, for the spending made on THAT statement cycle.

BA card earns MILES, not points. Since your husband also flies BA on pay ticket, you really should refer the 2 DIFFERENT reward currencies.

You are getting 100K BA miles worth Thousands of $ and you want to get the prorated refund of $75? Talk about penny wise pound foolish.

If you want to stay on the good side of Chase, you should at least keep the card for over 6 months.
Also, since you already paid the $75 annual fee, why not keep the card till anniversary, especially your husband obviously flies BA enough to earn Silver status. The card gives you $50 discount when purchasing BA flights online. You also earn 2.5 BA miles per $ spent on buying BA tickets, versus only 1.25 miles on other spending, in case you have no idea about other benefits.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 5:30 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond
Has anyone had a delay in receiving their second 50k bonus after the 2000 spend?
Both my mom and sister have the cards, and they've both completed their spend early Feb and their statements have closed. However, its been about 2 weeks and still no bonus showing up in their BAEC account.

Me, on the other hand... I finished my spend in Jan, and the day after my statement closed, the second 50k was there!

Is Chase just swamped right now or should my mom and sister be worried?
Old Feb 26, 2010, 5:33 pm

Is this deal still valid? If so, what is the link to apply?
Old Feb 26, 2010, 5:44 pm

miles posted.... however seeing crazy amount of taxes and fees!! What was the point!!! if im being charged 380 dollars in taxes and fees for a flight from JFK-LHR,
Old Feb 26, 2010, 5:56 pm

Programs: US,PC
Originally Posted by fly1346
miles posted.... however seeing crazy amount of taxes and fees!! What was the point!!! if im being charged 380 dollars in taxes and fees for a flight from JFK-LHR,
people use them to fly their partners like AA.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 6:48 pm

Programs: WN, AA, HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*
For those of you who are thinking of cancelling your card as soon as the 100K miles are posted, be advised (per the fine print in the T&C of the award ticket) that you will be required to show the card which was used to pay the booking fees when you check in for your flight(s). So if you used that card and are actually flying on BA, you'll need to keep the card active and have it with you until all your award flights have been completed. It's possible that requirement doesn't apply if the award is booked with another airline...anyone know?
Old Feb 26, 2010, 6:54 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by nsr
Use HouseHold account to pool your miles together, and use the certificate from your account.
If the certificate is earned using my credit card but the whole family is in my Household account, will my wife and daughter be able to use my certificate without my traveling along with them?
Old Feb 26, 2010, 7:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by AJSpark
you will be required to show the card which was used to pay the booking fees when you check in for your flight(s).
I'm planning on making my first redemption for a flight next week (trying to decide between CX and JL), and I will almost certainly use my PPE (Citi) card to pay the fees. Naturally, it will be in my wallet because I need another $14k in spend (plus 50k miles) in order to reach the 200k TYP limit.

But, once I arrive in Asia, I'll use my Schwab card exclusively.

I'll keep my BA card active until November and will start using it as a primary card after I hit the TYP cap in June. However, even if had no plans to use the BA card, I'd still conform with the 6-month rule.

Bottom line:
-Chase has the 6 month rule
-whether or not you were charged the annual fee, you can keep the card for a year
-even if you never use it (beyond $2,000), there's nothing wrong about sticking in your drawer
-I don't fancy a battle with Chase
Old Feb 26, 2010, 9:35 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by nsx
If the certificate is earned using my credit card but the whole family is in my Household account, will my wife and daughter be able to use my certificate without my traveling along with them?
The T&Cs state that "...Voucher is valid for a companion ticket in conjunction with Cardmember's reward flight on BA taken within 2 years from the date of issue. All Redemption Vouchers will be issued in the name of the main Cardmember who must travel on any booking where the Voucher is used..."
Old Feb 26, 2010, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nsx
No. Read T&C.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 12:43 am

Programs: OnePass, MilesPlus, AAdvantage, SkyMiles (unfortunately), PC Plat, HH Silver, Marriott Aluminium
Originally Posted by fly1346
Exactly. Which is why if you're only really interested in traveling across the pond, like myself, and are trying to use the credit card bonus system judiciously, there are much more cost effective ways to get to Europe than this BA deal. On the other hand, 2 or 3 very cheap trips to Hawaii would be a nice consolation I must admit.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 5:10 am

Originally Posted by maggersmagoo
I have a question. I was wanting to make a payment to my card for the stuff I charged this week. Looking at my Chase account online, the total amount I charged shows up in "Pending Charges", but only a portion of it shows up in "Outstanding Balance". Is it best to only pay the portion that shows up in "Outstanding Balance".
As I've noted before, I would also be careful with Chase's "Pending" and "Outstanding Balance" amounts. It seems all charges first go to Pending Charges, then eventually move over to Outstanding. However, I've noticed a delay in charges coming out of Pending, even when they've already been added to Outstanding. The delays I've seen have been sometimes for a day, sometimes for longer.

This could be a problem in either or both of two ways. First, as Happy notes, you don't want to pay more than the Outstanding Balance, and while what's leftover in Pending wouldn't affect that, it may cause confusion. Second, it seems the available credit is the total credit line, less Outstanding, less Pending, even if the same item is still in both Outstanding and Pending. This could be trouble if someone had a large charge which was left in both categories, thus reducing the available credit twice for the same charge. I don't know how the Chase system would handle an instance like this if it threw the account beyond the credit line.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by brighter
Is this deal still valid? If so, what is the link to apply?
Not today, but maybe tomorrow.

Keep reading this thread for updates.
Check out http://frugaltravelguy.com/ It's an interesting blog. He will be Johnny on the spot if/when the deal returns.

d
Old Feb 27, 2010, 7:57 am

Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA
Originally Posted by glu800
Has anyone had a delay in receiving their second 50k bonus after the 2000 spend?
Both my mom and sister have the cards, and they've both completed their spend early Feb and their statements have closed. However, its been about 2 weeks and still no bonus showing up in their BAEC account.

Me, on the other hand... I finished my spend in Jan, and the day after my statement closed, the second 50k was there!

Is Chase just swamped right now or should my mom and sister be worried?
Both mine and my wife's have not posted either? Anyone having a delay, or should I call?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.