Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

[Expired 2009 offer]100,000 miles for new BA Chase VISA

[Expired 2009 offer]100,000 miles for new BA Chase VISA

Old Jan 21, 10, 9:05 pm

Miles posted

For those anxiously waiting for their miles, here is my experience:

Application was approved on or about December 19th. I have online access to the credit card account and watched the statement closing date (which can be found by looking at the activity detail page and then the account details page). It bounced around all month (sometimes two or three times a day) from as early as January 10th to as late as February 14th.

When I looked on the evening of January 19th, the statement had closed...exactly one month from approval. The 100,000 bonus miles as well as 1.25 miles for each dollar I had spent (not including the $75 fee) were reported on the closed statement. I had spent in excess of $2,000.

The miles were transferred to BA the next day and showed up on my BA account when I looked at it on the evening of January 20th.

I booked my trip using those miles immediately with no problem.

Mike
Old Jan 21, 10, 10:38 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
Originally Posted by longtimereader View Post
Got my card last week and already spent the $2,000 thanks to the mint, will the full 100,000 post after my statement closes?
If I were you, I would be praying that my card doesn't get shutdown before the miles post. Chase doesn't look too highly upon the $1 coin/mint scheme and has been closing peoples' accounts who have purchased coins from the Mint.
Old Jan 21, 10, 11:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, VX Founding Member; HH/Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum; National Exec Elite, Hertz 5* Gold
Originally Posted by divemistressofthedark View Post
DAMN. It's dead. Just called 888-593-5212 and heard a recorded message advising me that "applications will no longer be taken over the phone for this offer."
I can confirm it is dead. My friend called today and got the recorded message, too.

So glad my application was accepted while it was an active offer. I applied Saturday and received my BA PIN Wednesday (yesterday). I called Chase and they said I was approved and because my card hadn't been printed they let me pick my design. I went with 'Horizon' because I already have a 'plaid' from my fiancee's account. Can't wait to meet my $2K spend.
Old Jan 22, 10, 12:36 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Update on the parents going to Aus with this:

They were told they'd need 75,000 miles r/t for economy. Sorry, still trying to learn the lingo. (Is that F?) And 130,000 r/t for first. Keep in mind, I'm getting this second hand, so who knows who exactly gave this to them in customer service.

Now, that being said, they've got 202,000 AAdvantage miles. Add to that these 100,000 miles, and they're covered for two r/t 1st Class, right? Or, at least, in theory?

They also want to sidetrip to NZ. Hmmm...what's the OneWorld thing? If this is too much for the scope of this thread, I know I'll be searching all of this...for a while.
Old Jan 22, 10, 1:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Josh Streeter View Post

They were told they'd need 75,000 miles r/t for economy. Sorry, still trying to learn the lingo. (Is that F?) And 130,000 r/t for first. Keep in mind, I'm getting this second hand, so who knows who exactly gave this to them in customer service.

Now, that being said, they've got 202,000 AAdvantage miles. Add to that these 100,000 miles, and they're covered for two r/t 1st Class, right? Or, at least, in theory?

They also want to sidetrip to NZ. Hmmm...what's the OneWorld thing? If this is too much for the scope of this thread, I know I'll be searching all of this...for a while.
IIRC, you're the person who wanted to help his parents visit Australia (btw, "AUS" to us refers to Austin, TX; we like to say "OZ" to represent Australia)... from Indianapolis? (I know this info is only a few pages back, but I'm still too lazy to go there.)

Based on these assumptions, here are a few comments:
-Since BA and AA miles can each be used for one way trips, they should be able to use both
-AA miles provide a better bang for the buck in business (C/J) and first (F) in general, though there are exceptions
-if they have 200k in each program, they have enough to get there and back in business class... provided seats are available
-they should consider flying from Chicago to Singapore or Indonesia before moving on to OZ because this requires MUCH less miles (one way)
-then try to use the AA miles on Qantas (QF) on the way back

In order to accomplish the above, you'll need to spend a bit more time on here and relevant airline websites (AA, BA, QF, JL, etc).

Please feel free to check back before you fork over the family mileage trust (though, maybe not in this thread).

ETA: I'm pretty sure that the person who told your parents 130k = RT F was misguided, or perhaps some details were lost in translation. Based on the single-partner mileage chart, the correct figure is 240k pp (3x80).

Last edited by moondog; Jan 22, 10 at 1:16 am
Old Jan 22, 10, 5:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, and a mug on the wall at the local brewpub
Ditto for me. Miles posted on almost exactly the same timescale.

bd

Originally Posted by meech View Post
For those anxiously waiting for their miles, here is my experience:

Application was approved on or about December 19th. I have online access to the credit card account and watched the statement closing date (which can be found by looking at the activity detail page and then the account details page). It bounced around all month (sometimes two or three times a day) from as early as January 10th to as late as February 14th.

When I looked on the evening of January 19th, the statement had closed...exactly one month from approval. The 100,000 bonus miles as well as 1.25 miles for each dollar I had spent (not including the $75 fee) were reported on the closed statement. I had spent in excess of $2,000.

The miles were transferred to BA the next day and showed up on my BA account when I looked at it on the evening of January 20th.

I booked my trip using those miles immediately with no problem.

Mike
Old Jan 22, 10, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by Happy View Post

BTW, Great Circle Mapper is the site I prefer, to use for the calculation of distance traveled because it has the map as a visual aid to show the most effective routing.
Did it match the airline's calculations? Also, do you know if it has to be a RT? Thanks
Old Jan 22, 10, 9:49 am

Programs: Starwood
Originally Posted by WRCSolberg View Post
If I were you, I would be praying that my card doesn't get shutdown before the miles post. Chase doesn't look too highly upon the $1 coin/mint scheme and has been closing peoples' accounts who have purchased coins from the Mint.

I have been reading through the posts but couldn't find anybody who had their cards cancelled for mint spending, am I missing something? Once I receive the coins and the charge posts why would they cancel the card?
Old Jan 22, 10, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cutnana View Post
Did it match the airline's calculations? Also, do you know if it has to be a RT? Thanks
Very close, + or - by less than 50.

AA Oneworld award has no directional limit. If you want to know more about AA's rules, there is an EXCELLENT STICKY in AA Forum devoted to this. The first post is indispensable to anyone's success in redeeming OneWorld award.

I do not spend any time to research BA's rules as I have no interet in using BA miles for a distance-based award so cannot help you here if you are asking about BA's rules.

Do NOT generalize program rules - extremely important to all newbies, you cannot mix programs neither the "currency" nor the rules.

Last edited by Happy; Jan 22, 10 at 10:17 am
Old Jan 22, 10, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have been reading through the posts but couldn't find anybody who had their cards cancelled for mint spending, am I missing something? Once I receive the coins and the charge posts why would they cancel the card?
Some one has reported Chase shut down his / her United Plus and Continental card cited the cards are used "not for intended purposes". The poster said the cards were used for the Mint orders with very little other spending.

It is a known risk for Chase and AMEX cards. AMEX is the first issuer reportedly takes Adverse Action against such.

Last edited by Happy; Jan 22, 10 at 10:16 am
Old Jan 22, 10, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The basics are:

1) They need to use AA and BA miles SEPARATELY to book award seats from each program.

Programs dont mix.

However since both AA and BA offer one-way awards they can take advantage of this.

Therefore they would have to use AA on one direction, then BA on the other direction - this would be the only way they can travel in F on both directions with their existing balances of their accounts.

2) BA chart is X miles for Y (coach), 2x Y miles for C (business) and 3x Y miles for F (First). Therefore the number you are told was way off. Either something lost in translation or your parents do not understand what to ask and what being told.

3) You will need to spend A LOT OF TIME to read the STICKIES of Airlines forums. There is simply no short-cut to that.

4) QF award seats between LAX and Australia in F (let alone for 2 together) are DECIDEDLY difficult to obtain. QF has only 2-class service between LAX and AKL and the premium seats are even MORE DIFFICULT to get.

Dont get your parents hope high because enough miles to claim an award does NOT equal to availability of award seats. They will need to get creative in order to find seats. That means spending lots of time to understand the possible routings and finding which routing has seats and knowing the ins and outs on how to do such.

From the surface, NZ is only possible using BA miles as either a stopover or a destination. Or using AA OneWorld award from Asia because you must use 2 OneWorld member airlines, so CX or JL must be used together with QF.

You will have a lot to learn and yes, definitely way beyond the scope of this thread.

Originally Posted by Josh Streeter View Post

Last edited by Happy; Jan 22, 10 at 11:56 am
Old Jan 22, 10, 10:22 am

Some one has reported Chase shut down his / her United Plus and Continental card cited the cards are used "not for intended purposes". The poster said the cards were used for the Mint orders with very little other spending.

It is a known risk for Chase and AMEX cards. AMEX is the first issuer reportedly takes Adverse Action against such.
Thanks, I have done over 250,000 in coins with my amex and never had a problem with them so hopefully this won't be any different. I'm only spending the 2,000 at the mint on my BA with a few bucks assorted spending so the charge isn't alone.
Old Jan 22, 10, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks, I have done over 250,000 in coins with my amex and never had a problem with them so hopefully this won't be any different. I'm only spending the 2,000 at the mint on my BA with a few bucks assorted spending so the charge isn't alone.
It seems all depends on one's luck sometimes.

Several months back a guy reported all his AMEX cards were frozen with his wife was traveling. The reason given was, you guess it, the Mint. He started a thread in AMEX forum on this. AMEX subsequently unfroze his cards but warned him not to use the cards for "unintended purpose" in the future.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...off-cards.html
Old Jan 22, 10, 10:55 am

It seems all depends on one's luck sometimes.

Several months back a guy reported all his AMEX cards were frozen with his wife was traveling. The reason given was, you guess it, the Mint. He started a thread in AMEX forum on this. AMEX subsequently unfroze his cards but warned him not to use the cards for "unintended purpose" in the future.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...off-cards.html
I think the people who had issues with the CC companies probably had shaky credit, AMEX has made thousands off of me last year just on mint purchases!
Old Jan 22, 10, 10:57 am

Programs: US-CP; UA-PE; CO-PE; HH;Diamond
deal officially dead?

So with the website now showing the standard 30k mile offer and the 888 number being a recording saying they are no longer taking apps- anyone know how to still get in on this deal - just thought I would ask incase I am missing something...Thanks FT'ers!!!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: