Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

[Expired 2009 offer]100,000 miles for new BA Chase VISA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Expired 2009 offer]100,000 miles for new BA Chase VISA

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2010, 11:28 am

Looks like this fish is dead in the water.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
Originally Posted by Happy
Moondog assumed the OP flies from gateway city and uses Single Partner award.

You assumed the OP flies from somewhere in US but NOT from the gateway city as he only said US to Australia and his profile said he is based in Florida. It would turn the award to be a OneWorld award based on distance flown. In general it is a more "expensive" award but allows you visit more places. It depends on exactly WHERE the OP would originate to figure out what mileage level is required. I haven't looked at it at all as no way I would travel in Y to Australia. AA program is more cost-effective when redeeming OneWorld award to travel in premium cabin.

Both are correct based on the assumptions each of you make.
Ahh, ok, that makes sense. An additional 20k miles is a bit steep to connect to a gateway city on a two partner award. Geesh.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 12:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by WRCSolberg
Ahh, ok, that makes sense. An additional 20k miles is a bit steep to connect to a gateway city on a two partner award. Geesh.
Actually, the 20k premium isn't so bad when compared with some other examples. Consider SFO-HKG:

-50k RT when booked on single partner (CX)
-100k RT when AA connection (e.g. SFO-LAX) gets thrown in the mix
Old Jan 21, 2010, 12:33 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Lifetime Gold
Quick question about the BAEC......Are the rewards chart more favorable to use BA miles when flying partner? For example, interested in flying JFK-HKG via CX. How many miles are required to fly in F or J vs BA? I know taxes would be lower since the fuel surcharge on BA awards is high.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 12:39 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, WN RR
DAMN. It's dead. Just called 888-593-5212 and heard a recorded message advising me that "applications will no longer be taken over the phone for this offer."

Really stinks, too, since I have two Chase cards already (WN Visa, Marriott Sig Rewards) and would have likely not had to jump through hoops for approval.

ETA: Update: Called 888-270-2127 to speak to a human. Played stupid, said a "friend had told me" about the offer, wondered if still avail. CS rep said I'd need to check with BA.

I'll try this, but I'm not an Exec Club member, so who knows. Only offer listed at BA.com is the 30K. Rats.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 12:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by trach500
Quick question about the BAEC......Are the rewards chart more favorable to use BA miles when flying partner? For example, interested in flying JFK-HKG via CX. How many miles are required to fly in F or J vs BA? I know taxes would be lower since the fuel surcharge on BA awards is high.
C is 50k each way, and F 75k from US to Asia as long as you don't go via Europe (which costs much more).
Old Jan 21, 2010, 12:54 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
To clarify, the parents are using this, flying out of IND. The BA site shows different amounts whether I'm looking at a chart, or using their mileage calculator.

Let's see what else I can tell you...

They've got AAdvantage miles already. Probably quite a few, as they've been with them forever. So, I suppose they could use AA miles for the IND-LAX leg, and then these miles for the LAX-SYD trip.

I'd get this in a heartbeat if I was eligible. Anyone want to gift me a ticket to London, and I'll hook us up with some friends we can stay with?
Old Jan 21, 2010, 1:12 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Ugh, declined again. "Too many credit checks" only reason... with 4 against equifax. Makes it hard to avoid that when I refinanced my house and boat this past year due to rates being so low. Guess i'm just outta luck. At least the Fiance got one!
Old Jan 21, 2010, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by glocklt4
Ugh, declined again. "Too many credit checks" only reason... with 4 against equifax. Makes it hard to avoid that when I refinanced my house and boat this past year due to rates being so low. Guess i'm just outta luck. At least the Fiance got one!
If the inquiries were for refinancing existing debts, you may want to try to talk to a supervisor who can go over the credit report with you.

One poster has mentioned that it took 4 tries for them to reach a supervisor who then was able to resubmit the application.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WRCSolberg
Actually the distance-based OneWorld award if traveling in coach, the BA program and the AA program have the same mileage levels. It is when one gets to premium cabins the BA program then would cost more than AA, especially in F.

Using it judiciously the distance-based award actually is excellent value. But then this type of award is way beyond the scope of the basic redemption that most folks on this thread would do.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Josh Streeter
To clarify, the parents are using this, flying out of IND. The BA site shows different amounts whether I'm looking at a chart, or using their mileage calculator.

Let's see what else I can tell you...

They've got AAdvantage miles already. Probably quite a few, as they've been with them forever. So, I suppose they could use AA miles for the IND-LAX leg, and then these miles for the LAX-SYD trip.
They should make their own way to LAX be it on AA awards or on pay tickets.

You cannot use a chart without knowing how many miles the distance is, between IND and SYD via LAX. The award booking calculator would be the number you use to determine how many miles are needed.

Distance-based OneWorld award is a completely different type of award and is way beyond the scope of the basic awards people on this thread are just starting gaining knowledge on.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 2:24 pm

Programs: Starwood
Got my card last week and already spent the $2,000 thanks to the mint, will the full 100,000 post after my statement closes?
Old Jan 21, 2010, 2:38 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold; UA 3P; Cattle-Class on everything else.
Using it judiciously the distance-based award actually is excellent value. But then this type of award is way beyond the scope of the basic redemption that most folks on this thread would do.
I've studied the distance based charts for my travel needs and it always turns out to be significantly more expensive than a single-carrier (I'm out of SFO).

So Happy / Moondog - what kind of scenarios / itins might make it worthwhile to look at the distance-based awards? Only when you live close to the US border? or otherwise too?

Thanx for all your input!
Old Jan 21, 2010, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
If the inquiries were for refinancing existing debts, you may want to try to talk to a supervisor who can go over the credit report with you.

One poster has mentioned that it took 4 tries for them to reach a supervisor who then was able to resubmit the application.
Good idea Happy. I'll give that a shot.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gya007
I've studied the distance based charts for my travel needs and it always turns out to be significantly more expensive than a single-carrier (I'm out of SFO).

So Happy / Moondog - what kind of scenarios / itins might make it worthwhile to look at the distance-based awards? Only when you live close to the US border? or otherwise too?

Thanx for all your input!
Since the OneWorld award is based on distance traveled, naturally the best bang for the mileage buck is to be able to visit as many places as one's schedule allows with the shortest distance traveled.

I have not spent any time to research BA's OneWorld award mainly because of the business class would cost more than using AA miles for same type. Why pay more using BA miles when I can use AA miles?

Using an AA partner award versus AA OneWorld award as an example, 62.5K gets you one-way business class North America to Australia, so it is 125K r/t. You only get to have a stopover each way at the North America gateway, namely LAX.

Yet, for 150K you can claim a OneWorld award that would allow 16 segments (all of them can be stopovers), anywhere between North America and Australia. Here is an actual trip we did on an AA 150C last May thru July.
MIA-LAX-AKL-SYD-SIN-KUL-HKG-TPE-ICN-KIX-CTS-NRT-SFO-LAX visited 11 cities in 8 countries. All in business class except the 2 domestic segments in Japan because domestic JAL flights only have F and Y so the business class automatically downgraded to Y.

You can see the routing and miles traveled on Great Circle Mapper:

http://gc.kls2.com/cgi-bin/gc?PATH=m...OR=&MAP-STYLE=

The additional cost of 25K miles in the AA 150C is well worth it.

BTW, Great Circle Mapper is the site I prefer, to use for the calculation of distance traveled because it has the map as a visual aid to show the most effective routing.

Granted, AA's OneWorld award is by far the most generous in terms of rules as for example, CX's OneWorld award only allows 5 stopovers. Like I said, I have no clue on the rules of BA's OneWorld award. The rules are very important and would determine whether it is worth it for the additional miles.

Last edited by Happy; Jan 21, 2010 at 4:55 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.