Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

[Expired 2009 offer]100,000 miles for new BA Chase VISA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Expired 2009 offer]100,000 miles for new BA Chase VISA

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2010, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

Originally Posted by iPrincess
Sorry if this is covered before, but I didn't see it:

When they say taxes and other surcharges apply when using your miles to book a flight, do they mean that you must pay those charges in cash, not miles? For example, if the ticket costs $800, $500 of which is tax, would you be allowed to use your miles only on the $300 of it?
Frequent-flyer tickets don't have a dollar "cost" in the same way that non-frequent-flyer tickets do. So your miles are not being used to pay, say, $300 of an $800 ticket. Rather, the miles get you the transportation between your origin and destination. Taxes, fees, and -- in BA's case -- fuel surcharges are not included, and must be paid for with money.

By way of example, BA charges the same number of miles for a frequent-flyer ticket from Paris-New York, or London-Honolulu, or Manchester-El Paso, but if you were to purchase those tickets for money, the fares would likely be very different.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 7:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by iPrincess
Sorry if this is covered before, but I didn't see it:

When they say taxes and other surcharges apply when using your miles to book a flight, do they mean that you must pay those charges in cash, not miles? For example, if the ticket costs $800, $500 of which is tax, would you be allowed to use your miles only on the $300 of it?
No. Let's say you book a 25k mile ticket to LHR and the "tax" is $200. You need to pay the $200 with cash.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 8:41 pm

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
Question Difficulty Using BA Miles on AA

I've been attempting today (AM and PM) to use BA miles to book a US domestic flight (on AA), without success.

The BA website lets me select the flights (telling me there are only x seats left for each), takes my cellphone number, tells me that the cost will be 25,000 miles + $10, and takes my credit card data. There are about 3 web pages to complete. Finally, it says 'no can do' and invites me to Start Over. There is no indication of what has gone wrong.

Have others had difficulty booking AA flights on the BA website recently?

If I call in to make the reservation with a human, how much will the extra charge be?

Thank you.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by Middle_Seat
I've been attempting today (AM and PM) to use BA miles to book a US domestic flight (on AA), without success.

The BA website lets me select the flights (telling me there are only x seats left for each), takes my cellphone number, tells me that the cost will be 25,000 miles + $10, and takes my credit card data. There are about 3 web pages to complete. Finally, it says 'no can do' and invites me to Start Over. There is no indication of what has gone wrong.

If I call in to make the reservation with a human, how much will the extra charge be?

Thank you.
20 GBP, iirc. But, the fact that you've been trying to use their website and have been sent in loops should provide grounds for a fee waiver. If not, I'd be curious to hear their reasoning.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 9:38 pm

I've been playing around with the website, seeing availability for some flights, in preparation for my 100K miles (and my wife's too). I'm confused about how to book a domestic (on AA metal) flight using BAEC miles... the BAEC website says to use its normal reservation process and it will show OW options where BA doesn't offer routing. But searching JFK-LAX shows me only JFK-LHR-LAX. Is there a way to get around this on ba.com?
Old Jan 12, 2010, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dmel
I've been playing around with the website, seeing availability for some flights, in preparation for my 100K miles (and my wife's too). I'm confused about how to book a domestic (on AA metal) flight using BAEC miles... the BAEC website says to use its normal reservation process and it will show OW options where BA doesn't offer routing. But searching JFK-LAX shows me only JFK-LHR-LAX. Is there a way to get around this on ba.com?
You need to check the box to include partner flights.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
You need to check the box to include partner flights.
Oops, I was using the standard flight booking tool on the ba.com main page, which doesn't allow you to see these partner flights (and also apparently doesn't allow you to pay with miles).

When I go to EC > Spending Miles > Book Reward Ticket, I do see AA options. Thanks, Happy!
Old Jan 12, 2010, 9:59 pm

Programs: SPG, UA, AA, BA, Sapphire
Originally Posted by LizzyDragon84
Okay, just applied via link in post #2233. It appears to have gone through and all the graphics indicated this was the 100,000 miles offer. As another poster indicated, the frugal travel guy's links now point to a 30,000 miles offer.

I'll post another update when I get the results of my application, although I expect to get rejected due to getting a CO card back in November.
Applied today, I will post results as well. I got a Chase Sapphire in November, so we will see if I get approved for this offer, as it is within the six months. My banker didn't think this would be a problem however. I double checked with her and her manager.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 10:16 pm

I too just applied. Will keep everyone posted and excited to hear the status of LizzyDragon84 and schnitz44. I'm not sure if the miles have been "automatic" for people - but their definitely appears to be a unique offercode in the url , titled SPID. So i'm guessing that link should still work unless it takes an actual person to apply these things.

Wonder what we do if we look in our account and see just 20k? b-tch on the phone?

Originally Posted by LizzyDragon84
Okay, just applied via link in post #2233. It appears to have gone through and all the graphics indicated this was the 100,000 miles offer. As another poster indicated, the frugal travel guy's links now point to a 30,000 miles offer.

I'll post another update when I get the results of my application, although I expect to get rejected due to getting a CO card back in November.
Originally Posted by schnitz44
Applied today, I will post results as well. I got a Chase Sapphire in November, so we will see if I get approved for this offer, as it is within the six months. My banker didn't think this would be a problem however. I double checked with her and her manager.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by SFO777
Sorry if this is posted somewhere in the previous 56 pages...

Hoping to have $30K charged this month.
Has anyone rec'd their companion cert?
If so, wondering how fast it was processed and "sent"
Is it indeed a paper cert, or electronic on one's ba.com account?
Your questions are answered in BA's Terms & Conditions: "When the Member has reached the Spend Target, an e-voucher (“Redemption Voucher”) will automatically be added to their BA Executive Club account. Please allow 4-6 weeks for delivery. The Redemption Voucher will be valid from the date on which it appears on the Member’s Executive Club account and will be valid for 24 months."

The spend target is based on the calendar year ---- it resets on Jan. 1.

The T&C are at: www.ba.com/redeemfor1travelfor2
Old Jan 12, 2010, 10:43 pm

Programs: AA, BA, CX, DL, EK, F9, GA, HA, IB, JL, KE, LH, MH, NH, OS, PG, QR, RJ, SA, TG, UA, VN, WN, ZH

Thank you.
I'm experiencing the same problem. Can't seem to be able book any AA flights. I've already book segments on BA and IB successfully, not sure what's causing this? Hate having to call in. They better not charge the telephone fee.

PS. This is the error I'm getting.
* We have been unable to confirm your booking at this time. Please try again later.
* It has not been possible to complete your transaction at this time.
* Your payment card has not been charged.
* Please re-try by clicking on 'Start again'.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 10:51 pm

It appears that my husband and I were approved since we also rec'd emails with our EC numbers and pins. I'm wondering if I should have my 19 y/o daughter apply since it would not only help her establish some credit (she currently has none) but she could also use those miles for some of her own future travel plans. Is it allowable to apply for her using our household income, since we are the ones supporting her for the most part? I thought someone mentioned something like this up-thread, but I couldn't find it again.

Also, we are planning to use a portion of our miles to get to BCN and back this fall for a cruise. Looking at the BA site - Spain is considered Europe 2 zone and would be 60,000 miles each way. Any opinions on whether or not it would be worth the savings to fly into London or Paris for the day before then fly to BCN? The return would have to be BCN straight ORD, since we don't have any extra pre-cruise time to spend.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by lad2
I'm experiencing the same problem. Can't seem to be able book any AA flights. I've already book segments on BA and IB successfully, not sure what's causing this? Hate having to call in. They better not charge the telephone fee.

PS. This is the error I'm getting.
-they will only charge you the phone fee if you book from them
-but, I can't see them daring to reach further into your wallet in this case
-by bringing this error to their attention, you'll be helping the rest of us

(I'm assuming you have actual travel plans in mind. I wouldn't bother calling them for research purposes because the costs of domestic US flights are pretty straight forward.)
Old Jan 12, 2010, 11:01 pm

I applied on 1/8 and received my BA Executive Club account number by email. It shows a credit card expiration date in the account profile. I assume I've been approved even though I have not received the card yet.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by Rene23
Looking at the BA site - Spain is considered Europe 2 zone and would be 60,000 miles each way. Any opinions on whether or not it would be worth the savings to fly into London or Paris for the day before then fly to BCN? The return would have to be BCN straight ORD, since we don't have any extra pre-cruise time to spend.
60k is the price for business class to Europe 2. By terminating in someplace other than LHR, you'll spare yourself LHR's special premium class tax, which hefty enough to justify the extra 10k miles each way (IMO).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.