Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

[Expired 2009 offer]100,000 miles for new BA Chase VISA

[Expired 2009 offer]100,000 miles for new BA Chase VISA

Old Dec 24, 09, 5:35 am

Programs: Air: Many; Hotel: HH D, HY D, MR G, CC S, IHG P
Originally Posted by bofc View Post
Upon learning that the 50/50 offer expired, I called Chase to ask about my situation:

1. Dec 4th Applied (on line using the BA link with the 50/50 promotion)

2. Dec 5th Received e-mail from Chase letting me know I'll hear in 15 days

3. Dec 12th - "Promotion Period" ended (I'm told)

4. Dec 21 - "Welcome to Executive Club" e-mail sent (I was not a prior member so I assumed my card application was being approved)

5. Dec 22 - New BA visa card appears as an account on my chase.com listing of accounts but the card hasn't been received yet.

I called Chase and asked if I'd receive the full 50k/50k since I applied before the end of the promotion period. They told me "no" that the card had to be used initially and the $2,000 in charges incurred before the end of the promotion period. I'd get the current promotion (substantially less valuable).
HAS ANYONE BEEN ADVISED OTHERWISE? ANYONE ELSE APPLY BEFORE THE CUT-OFF BUT GET APPROVED AFTER?

To "bait" people to apply with an offer and then yank it later seems sleazy (illegal?). I have no problem with them ending the promotion to new applicants w/o notice. But if you apply under the terms offered, it really stinks for them to change the rules later.
I think you just got bad information from the CSR on the phone. I applied for the card Dec 11 (I posted earlier in this thread and noted the dates I received emails and confirmed card approval). Yesterday (12/23) I received the "Welcome BA cardmember - Get your 100,000 bonus miles‏" email. This email describes the terms and conditions for the two bonuses as follows (I added bolding):

"1 You will receive 50,000 bonus BA Miles with this bonus offer, which can be redeemed for 1 transatlantic reward flight in World Traveller, economy class from the USA to Europe Zone 1, or choose to redeem for another qualifying flight. Europe Zone 1 includes the United Kingdom, Belgium, France, Germany, Ireland, Luxembourg, Netherlands and Switzerland. All reward flights are subject to taxes, fees, charges and surcharges, including airline surcharges. You will qualify for and receive your bonus after your first purchase/first use of the card. First purchase/first use includes purchases, balance transfers, or any checks that are used to access your account, and excludes cash advances. After qualifying, please allow 6 to 8 weeks for bonus BA Miles to post to your account. This one-time bonus offer is valid only for first-time cardmembers with new accounts. Existing cardmembers/accounts are not eligible for this bonus offer.

2 You will receive 50,000 bonus BA Miles with this bonus offer, which can be redeemed for 1 transatlantic reward flight in World Traveller, economy class from the USA to Europe Zone 1, or choose to redeem for another qualifying flight. Europe Zone 1 includes the United Kingdom, Belgium, France, Germany, Ireland, Luxembourg, Netherlands and Switzerland. All reward flights are subject to taxes, fees, charges and surcharges, including airline surcharges. To qualify and receive your bonus, you must make qualifying transactions totaling $2,000 or more during the first 3 months from account opening. Qualifying transactions include purchases, balance transfers, and any checks that are used to access your account, and exclude cash advances. After qualifying, please allow 6 to 8 weeks for bonus BA Miles to post to your account. To be eligible for this bonus offer, account must be open and not in default at the time of fulfillment. This one-time bonus offer is valid only for first-time cardmembers with new accounts. Existing cardmembers/ accounts are not eligible for this bonus offer. "
Old Dec 24, 09, 8:09 am

Programs: AA EXP
Upon learning that the 50/50 offer expired, I called Chase to ask about my situation:

1. Dec 4th Applied (on line using the BA link with the 50/50 promotion)

2. Dec 5th Received e-mail from Chase letting me know I'll hear in 15 days

3. Dec 12th - "Promotion Period" ended (I'm told)

4. Dec 21 - "Welcome to Executive Club" e-mail sent (I was not a prior member so I assumed my card application was being approved)

5. Dec 22 - New BA visa card appears as an account on my chase.com listing of accounts but the card hasn't been received yet.

I called Chase and asked if I'd receive the full 50k/50k since I applied before the end of the promotion period. They told me "no" that the card had to be used initially and the $2,000 in charges incurred before the end of the promotion period. I'd get the current promotion (substantially less valuable).
HAS ANYONE BEEN ADVISED OTHERWISE? ANYONE ELSE APPLY BEFORE THE CUT-OFF BUT GET APPROVED AFTER?

To "bait" people to apply with an offer and then yank it later seems sleazy (illegal?). I have no problem with them ending the promotion to new applicants w/o notice. But if you apply under the terms offered, it really stinks for them to change the rules later.
I was in a similar boat where I applied around Dec 3 but did not get approval until Dec 13-15. I received no written or email documentation about the 50k/50k bonus until Dec 22. Whoever you spoke to misinformed you and is incorrect. Just like everyone else who has responded, I recommend if you do not hear a positive response on the 50k/50k bonus you signed up for, I would just send a secure email and they should be able to clear it all up.
Old Dec 24, 09, 12:46 pm

Ditto Zantaine's comment

I didn't apply until the 11th, already a BAEC member, approved on 14th, never got an approval e-mail from Chase, received my card yesterday, the literature with it showed no bonus information so I sent a secure message & have already received confirmation that all is well.

DH applied on the 11th but kept getting the two week message. Finally I called & they offered reallocating some of his existing credit limit on MP Chase Visa to BA Chase Visa, which we agreed to. Finally got his approval recording yesterday, I anticipate his card will also come without bonus information, I'll send another secure message, and all will be well with him too.

BofC, I don't think you have anything at all to worry about. I'm thinking the CSR people who answer secure messages are more careful about what they say because it's in writing. If challenged the CSR phone people can always say YOU misunderstood even if that's totally untrue.

Merry Christmas everyone, and thanks for the wealth of information!
Old Dec 24, 09, 6:03 pm

thanks

Thanks to all who responded to my concerns about Chase voiding their offer after I applied. Very helpful (sorry for multiple posts - wasn't sure where to go for the best info.)
Old Dec 24, 09, 7:24 pm

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
Thanks to all who responded to my concerns about Chase voiding their offer after I applied. Very helpful (sorry for multiple posts - wasn't sure where to go for the best info.)
Think there are a bunch of FT'ers in your situation too, like me.
Old Dec 25, 09, 1:59 am

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Lifetime Plat
I just want to comment on how quick the turnaround was!

Dec 11th - applied online
Week of Dec 14th - got mail requiring proof of address
Dec 22nd - sent documents
Dec 24th - got card in the mail!

I didn't receive an e-mail about the miles offer, but when I called to confirm receipt of the card, the very nice Chase CSR explained the mileage benefits and the 50/50 bonus
Old Dec 25, 09, 4:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just saw your strongly-titled thread in the BA forum. Given the consensus in our responses here, I hope you take our advice and contact the secure message center. Once you get your card and documented bonus offer, please revise your thread title in the BA forum. I think you jumped to calling the offer "sleazy" too quickly.

Perhaps you are new to mileange hunting and gathering activities? Many people on FT go through hoops for a lot less points, research itinearies again and again for the best ROI, keep track of numerous different offers and deadlines, and we ask questions and help one another. There have been times I've missed out on offers for one reason or another, and there will be another offer coming. One thing I've learned here is to be patient and persistent. Save your harsh criticism until it is really necessary.

Last edited by ChaseTheMiles; Dec 25, 09 at 4:54 am
Old Dec 25, 09, 8:36 am

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
Just another data point: I applied for the card but never received email confirmation that I would get a bonus. The 50K bonus posted yesterday.

Now I need to put some spend on the card to qualify for the second 50K miles.

Happy Holidays, and Good Merlinpeen to all you Verdukians!
Old Dec 25, 09, 12:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Having gotten the card earlier this month and having spent (and paid Chase) over $6000 prior to the first statement closing date, when can it be expected that the 100,000 miles will be in the BA account?
Old Dec 25, 09, 1:05 pm

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
Having gotten the card earlier this month and having spent (and paid Chase) over $6000 prior to the first statement closing date, when can it be expected that the 100,000 miles will be in the BA account?
when your first statement closes.
Old Dec 25, 09, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
Like almost all miles / points earning reward cards, the rewards post after statement closed. It takes a couple days to show up in your BA account, not taking into account of weekend.
Old Dec 25, 09, 9:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, UA Gold, VS Gold
Originally Posted by Happy View Post
Like almost all miles / points earning reward cards, the rewards post after statement closed. It takes a couple days to show up in your BA account, not taking into account of weekend.
As is in my case - statement closed showing first 50k bonus, but haven't shown up in account yet three days later.
Old Dec 26, 09, 12:22 pm

anyone having trouble creating a online account? It says it's a bussiness account and even when i choose that option, it still gives me the error
Old Dec 26, 09, 1:05 pm

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
Originally Posted by kewltea View Post
anyone having trouble creating a online account? It says it's a bussiness account and even when i choose that option, it still gives me the error
You have a business version of the card?
Old Dec 26, 09, 1:18 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis Presidential Club.
Hey guys,

Wanted to post my experiences thus far with this application process.

1. December 11: Applied for the card for me and rest of family.

2. December 18: Rest of family (except me) get mailed statements requiring proof of residence. We are able to call and get them to prove who we are over the phone and bypass the whole "mail proof of identity to Chase" thing.

3. December 21: Via phone, we learn that Dad has been approved.

4. December 23: Chase's lending department calls to let me know that I've been recommended for approval, but they need to lower my credit limit due to my United Chase card. I'm fine with this.

4. December 26: Dad gets card in the mail. The rest of us are still waiting. Going to activate Dad's card later today (and verify that it is indeed for the 50/50 thing, which I'm pretty sure it is).

Question:

My apologies if this has been addressed already; I've done my best to keep up with the thread but 100+ pages is alot! My question concerns the "spend 30k and receive companion ticket" thing. There's been alot of talk about how if you were to spend the 30k before 2010 begins, you'd receive a companion ticket "for 2009" and you could then spend another 30k in 2010 and receive another companion ticket.

I will not be spending 30k prior to January 1st, 2010, but I definitely will sometime in January. Does this mean:

1. Any spending on the card prior to January 1st, 2010 will not count towards the "2010 30k total"?

2. If I hypothetically spend 30k on January 2nd, will I have to wait until December 2010 to receive the companion ticket?

Again, apologies if this has been addressed. Thanks to everyone for all the advice.

Last edited by Supratik; Dec 26, 09 at 1:26 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: