Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

[Expired 2009 offer]100,000 miles for new BA Chase VISA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Expired 2009 offer]100,000 miles for new BA Chase VISA

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2009, 7:57 am

Can someone help calculating BA cost to redeem miles

Hello All,

Thank you in advance for helping me with this. I don't have the 100K miles yet, so I'm unable to figure out what my out of pocket will be for redeeming it for a RT tix from NA to Far East.

Can someone please do a dummy booking for PHL to BLR on Jan 12th (RT tix returning on Mar 8th). From my reading of the BA site and calling their rep's it is my understanding that I need 90,000 miles for this trip on BA metal. I will also be responsible for Fuel surcharge, taxes and fees. Calculating that amount though is tricky. Based on my calculation from their website I thought it comes to around $300-350. But the phone rep said it will be around $550-600.

I can get a economy RT directly from an agent for around $1000. So I'm trying to see if redeeming my 100K miles on BA metal to BLR makes sense or should I save it for AA travel (domestic/Hawaii etc) instead. If I only save $400 on a RT to Asia, it is not worth as much of the savings.

Thanks again!
Old Dec 23, 2009, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by abcx
Just got back a canned response asking me to wait 6-8 weeks. ..., Chase? So I sent back a message saying that I have friends whose bonuses have already posted and if they can post mine ASAP too. I get the feeling it will not help...

Got same response. Please let us know if you are successful.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So my first purchase 50k bonus has not posted yet even though my statement has closed a week ago. Sent Chase a message through the Secure Message Center about 12 hours ago but no response yet.

I have a Plat but I was told that there is a bonus for this card as well (Mr. Bean's experience confirms this as well)...they better not be jerking me around.
Does the 50K show up on your statement at all? Or it is not showing in your BA account?
Old Dec 23, 2009, 8:29 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by luvflying1975
Can someone please do a dummy booking for PHL to BLR on Jan 12th (RT tix returning on Mar 8th).
90,000 BA Miles
plus
$ 488.60
Old Dec 23, 2009, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moondog
I'm not all that worked up about finding award seats either. It's a foregone conclusion that my miles will fetch a kick-butt redemption or two.

What bothers me is the combination of the marketing spin that was promoted in the offer (e.g. "2 tickets to Europe") and the tendency of ba.com to push silly redemptions.
The marketing spin has to pick the most obvious so to catch the highest number of eyeballs.

The most obvious for BA, needless to say, would be "to Europe".

I am just amazed by how many newbies have been brought out from the woodwork on this offer. They are immediately being thrown at the much more sophisticated level of the art of award redemption if they want to use their miles more cost-efficiently. A good portion of these folks never have a mileage-earning account before, nor redeeming any award ticket of any airline... Mercy to them!
Old Dec 23, 2009, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by Happy
Does the 50K show up on your statement at all? Or it is not showing in your BA account?
Neither.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 8:37 am

Does this make sense?

I obtained the card and the plan is to get the 100k miles and then spend the $30k to get the companion ticket. With a few miles that I have on BA from a trip to Kenya I am trying for two business class tickets from JFK to South Africa. 180,000 miles for one ticket, the second for the companion should be free. The lowest business class prices I see from JFK route through Atlanta (that is fine) but cost almost $5k each. Looks to me like I get $10k worth of airfare for little $$ except for the taxes and fees?
Old Dec 23, 2009, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hello All,

Thank you in advance for helping me with this. I don't have the 100K miles yet, so I'm unable to figure out what my out of pocket will be for redeeming it for a RT tix from NA to Far East.

Can someone please do a dummy booking for PHL to BLR on Jan 12th (RT tix returning on Mar 8th). From my reading of the BA site and calling their rep's it is my understanding that I need 90,000 miles for this trip on BA metal. I will also be responsible for Fuel surcharge, taxes and fees. Calculating that amount though is tricky. Based on my calculation from their website I thought it comes to around $300-350. But the phone rep said it will be around $550-600.

I can get a economy RT directly from an agent for around $1000. So I'm trying to see if redeeming my 100K miles on BA metal to BLR makes sense or should I save it for AA travel (domestic/Hawaii etc) instead. If I only save $400 on a RT to Asia, it is not worth as much of the savings.

Thanks again!
Now you start seeing the argument why redeeming award on BA metal is NOT the most cost-efficient way to use your miles.

$500 plus using 90K miles, on economy.

$1000 without touching your mileage account, on economy.

The choice is so obvious....

To Asia, you should NOT head East via Europe. It has discussed at least 50 or more times that one should get to the "Gateway Cities" on one's own dime - then use the ONE partner award to fly to Asia. A Y ticket is 2 x 25K on One Partner - you can use AA, JL or CX - One, not mixed - on a single direction. Because BA award can be booked as 2 x One-Way, instead of a R/T, you have more options. It is 25K One-Way in Y from North America to Far East. But you need to know HOW to get there.

AA flies to NRT from ORD, DFW & LAX, just off the top of my head.

JL flies to NRT from SFO, LAX & YVR, and then onto China, HKG & SE Asia.

CX flies to HKG from JFK, YYZ, LAX, SFO & YVR, and then onto China and SE Asia.

The possibilities are there as long as you KNOW the rules and stick by that.

The most obvious mistake I see people make, is to always think from their home airport. Get yourself a positioning ticket to the Gateway Cities - the positioning ticket can be an award on other program, or a pay ticket. Domestic flights especially coast to coast between hub cities are cheap, esp when you catch the ever-so-frequent sales.

The next most obvious mistake people make is they cannot think of it as a 2 x One-Way. You dont need to book a r/t - take advantage of the one-way mechanism, and think about that you can return from a different city, by paying for the transport between 2 Asian cities - low cost carrier flights intra Asia are just as cheap as those in Europe. You can take advantage of such and visit far more places with reasonable added costs.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 8:45 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, AC 25K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
BAEC redemption for the same trip in Economy is 90K + CAD521.92.

EDIT: http://matrix.itasoftware.com shows the taxes/fees on that same trip to be CAD561.20 - I find that to be a good way to estimate the taxes and see a breakdown.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flightmedic
I obtained the card and the plan is to get the 100k miles and then spend the $30k to get the companion ticket. With a few miles that I have on BA from a trip to Kenya I am trying for two business class tickets from JFK to South Africa. 180,000 miles for one ticket, the second for the companion should be free. The lowest business class prices I see from JFK route through Atlanta (that is fine) but cost almost $5k each. Looks to me like I get $10k worth of airfare for little $$ except for the taxes and fees?
It makes sense because you are going to Africa, and in premium cabin.

Check the YQ to see how much cold hard cash you need to shell out on the 2 tickets though.

You can do a dummy revenue booking on BA site to see how much is the taxes and fees - they are the same for both pay ticket and award ticket.

My guess is it would run you close to $900 per ticket on the taxes and fees side.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moondog
I meant to say that PDX-LAX-NRT worked for me last month even though the former segment was an AA code share (on AS metal).
But you were not using BA award on that flight, were you?

You cannot apply other program's rules to BA's program rule and vice versa.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 9:56 am

Thank you!

Erik, Happy and Nabeel,

Thank you for the responses and the information provided. Yeah I had a feeling redeeming these on BA metal would not have been as lucrative. The numbers you provided confirm my suspicion. I will be better off buying these tix from an agent for around $950-1000 and save my miles on AA for redemption (for domestic redemption on AA even assuming each RT domestic is around $200-250, that gives me a $800-1000 value for my 100K miles, as against only $500 value on BA).

I may do Hawaii on AA, I think that is 35K RT, so for 105K I should be able to score 3 RT Hawaii tix. Sounds good :-)

Thank you again folks!
Old Dec 23, 2009, 10:07 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, AC 25K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
I will be better off buying these tix from an agent for around $950-1000 and save my miles on AA for redemption (for domestic redemption on AA even assuming each RT domestic is around $200-250, that gives me a $800-1000 value for my 100K miles, as against only $500 value on BA).
YQ on BA is absurdly high. Try redeeming your BAEC miles for AA/LA (no fuel surcharge) or other partners who have a low fuel surcharge.

EDIT: BA is still worth it for premium cabin redemptions and/or using the Chase/BA 2-for-1 award certificates.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Neither.
Ah Oh...

Have you ever sent a secured email to verify the Plat card qualifies as well? I seem to recall some posters who got the Plat cards have done that and got positive information.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by Happy
Ah Oh...

Have you ever sent a secured email to verify the Plat card qualifies as well? I seem to recall some posters who got the Plat cards have done that and got positive information.
No, I hadn't. But the response I got confirmed that the Plat card was also eligible and that I should simply wait 6-8 weeks. Humbug.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.