Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

[Expired 2009 offer]100,000 miles for new BA Chase VISA

[Expired 2009 offer]100,000 miles for new BA Chase VISA

Old Dec 22, 09, 8:03 pm
  #1771  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 28,379
Originally Posted by frugaltravel View Post
Can anyone do me a huge favor? If you have 100K miles posted already, would you kindly try booking to see how many miles needed and how much the fees are to go to Singapore from DFW? I only have 50k miles posted and every time I tried booking it, it showed that I had not enough mileage so I'm not sure about how much the fees are. I need to make a decision fast whether to buy the US miles that currently under a promotion (double bonus) that will expire on 12/31 or to use these 100k BA miles. Thanks!
I believe you issue is your routing as stated, from DFW to SIN, involves 2 Partners - you need to use AA from DFW to West Coast, then take either JL or CX to go to SIN (via NRT using JL, via HKG using CX).

Using 2 or more partners turns the award to a OneWorld award which is based on distance traveled, and is much more expensive than the ONE Partner award.

Your best bet is to make your own way to West Coast and either use JL or CX to get to SIN - that way you can even make a stopover at NRT or HKG, or both - one going and one coming, each direction on a different partner, and book the trip as 2 x One-Way - would cost you the same miles as a r/t anyway.

Last edited by Happy; Dec 22, 09 at 8:41 pm
Happy is offline  
Old Dec 22, 09, 8:07 pm
  #1772  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 28,379
Originally Posted by sharka View Post
Can you direct me to which link you used and I've tried the ones posted/mentioned and those either gave me the 30,000mile deal or "technical error" message

Thanks
The offer has been taken down finally since this morning.
Happy is offline  
Old Dec 22, 09, 8:08 pm
  #1773  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 33,033
Originally Posted by richarddd View Post
I have no miles at the moment. When I try booking, it tells me I have a shortfall of X miles. Doesn't it do that for you? To find fees, try booking a ticket for cash - fees will be the same according to many posts here.

When do you want to go? What class?
That method only works for BA metal. Since frugaltravel wants to go to SIN from DFW, he/she would be looking at JL, CX, or AA. None of these are perfect options because AA doesn't fly to SIN (NRT and PVG are the closest alternatives) and neither JL nor CX serves DFW, but there are relatively cheap ways to connect the dots in both cases.

AA doesn't charge YQ on FF redemptions (from its own program or partner programs). Meanwhile, based on limited data contained in the taxes thread, JL is a bit higher than CX, and neither is in the same league as BA (this is a good thing).
moondog is offline  
Old Dec 22, 09, 8:15 pm
  #1774  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: 1 au
Programs: AA, UA, US, SPG, OZ Infant Science Training Course, BEST Upper Deck, Support the Tyrants Travel Club
Posts: 2,707
Originally Posted by frugaltravel View Post
Can anyone do me a huge favor? If you have 100K miles posted already, would you kindly try booking to see how many miles needed and how much the fees are to go to Singapore from DFW? I only have 50k miles posted and every time I tried booking it, it showed that I had not enough mileage so I'm not sure about how much the fees are. I need to make a decision fast whether to buy the US miles that currently under a promotion (double bonus) that will expire on 12/31 or to use these 100k BA miles. Thanks!
The amount in fees will vary widely depending on your routing. You can get the exact amount by plugging in your proposed itinerary into ITA (or Orbitz/Travelocity/Expedia/ etc.) and adding up the taxes, fees and surcharges. What BA charges will match that amount.

Your cheapest option is probably AA/JL, going DFW-NRT-SIN r/t. Without stopping over in NRT, it will cost $111 in taxes & fees.

Last edited by Mr. Bean; Dec 22, 09 at 8:20 pm
Mr. Bean is offline  
Old Dec 22, 09, 8:21 pm
  #1775  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 33,033
Originally Posted by Mr. Bean View Post
Your cheapest option is probably AA/JL, going DFW-NRT-SIN r/t
Since that breaks the "single partner" rule, and DFW-SIN is a LONG flight (2+ partner awards are distance based, as you know from your own research), I'm afraid that Happy's advice is spot on. However, since AA flies DFW-NRT nonstop, I'd be tempted to grab that and use UA miles for NRT-SIN (currently 30k miles RT in C or 20k in Y).

ETA: It might be possible to score a JL flight number on DFW-NRT. I know code shares aren't supposed to work, but since PDX-LAX does, this would be worthy of further investigation.
moondog is offline  
Old Dec 22, 09, 8:25 pm
  #1776  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Programs: All of 'em
Posts: 430
Received my card just over a month ago, put on the 2K during first billing cycle, and I just got my 100K bonus along with my first statement.
Nekamah7 is offline  
Old Dec 22, 09, 8:45 pm
  #1777  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 28,379
Originally Posted by moondog View Post
Since that breaks the "single partner" rule, and DFW-SIN is a LONG flight (2+ partner awards are distance based, as you know from your own research), I'm afraid that Happy's advice is spot on. However, since AA flies DFW-NRT nonstop, I'd be tempted to grab that and use UA miles for NRT-SIN (currently 30k miles RT in C or 20k in Y).

ETA: It might be possible to score a JL flight number on DFW-NRT. I know code shares aren't supposed to work, but since PDX-LAX does, this would be worthy of further investigation.
I dont think you can use codeshare. Someone reported BA even shot down KA for flights HKG-PEK that CX codeshares with KA and KA is a full member of OW.
Happy is offline  
Old Dec 22, 09, 9:30 pm
  #1778  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 33,033
Originally Posted by Happy View Post
I dont think you can use codeshare. Someone reported BA even shot down KA for flights HKG-PEK that CX codeshares with KA and KA is a full member of OW.
The more I play around on ba.com, the more I'm convinced that those guys are aiming to suck max miles out of unsuspecting victims.

For example, I was just playing around with the DFW-SIN case, starting with DFW-NRT next Sep/Oct.

Not only did they fail to display the nonstop during the entire two month span (which is wide open on AA.com), but every single routing they did show involved BOTH AA and JL (for 60k miles).

A phone call would surely result in a more sensible booking, but I dislike the fact that BA's website operates in this fashion; programming it to display 25k options first wouldn't be that hard.
moondog is offline  
Old Dec 22, 09, 9:51 pm
  #1779  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: States
Posts: 367
Originally Posted by moondog View Post
A phone call would surely result in a more sensible booking, but I dislike the fact that BA's website operates in this fashion; programming it to display 25k options first wouldn't be that hard.
I would be happy if they even displayed it at all, let alone display it first.

I was just looking for a LAX-NRT on AA, of which AA has several going out daily wide open, yet BA.com doesn't even display it as an option to choose.
I clicked on search partner airlines and the only route combinations it brings up are of AA/JL (route: LAX-SOF-NRT) or BA/BA(route: LAX-LHR-NRT).

Why not show the AA only (route: LAX-NRT) of which their is plenty of availability on AA.com and AAadvantage bookings? It seems they are trying to get people to spend more award miles than are necessary by not even giving them the option. Do u think it is possible to book by phone, even though the online at BA.com it won't let u book or display it as an option?

Correct me if i am wrong, but i think i read that they charge like a ₤15 or ₤30 fee to book by phone. So either you take their limited routes on the website (more expensive award routes) or they let you call in to book the most efficient single partner route (if you are fortunate enough to find it on another site), yet they charge you to do so. Seem they try to get u either way.

Last edited by frankiwa; Dec 22, 09 at 10:06 pm
frankiwa is offline  
Old Dec 22, 09, 10:04 pm
  #1780  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 142
Originally Posted by Happy View Post
I believe you issue is your routing as stated, from DFW to SIN, involves 2 Partners - you need to use AA from DFW to West Coast, then take either JL or CX to go to SIN (via NRT using JL, via HKG using CX).

Using 2 or more partners turns the award to a OneWorld award which is based on distance traveled, and is much more expensive than the ONE Partner award.

Your best bet is to make your own way to West Coast and either use JL or CX to get to SIN - that way you can even make a stopover at NRT or HKG, or both - one going and one coming, each direction on a different partner, and book the trip as 2 x One-Way - would cost you the same miles as a r/t anyway.
Thanks for your response! Every time I tried booking thru BA website to include partner airlines (AA & JAL), the website always gives me a stopover in London and gave me the longer route (DFW-LHR-SIN). I don't know why I can't select AA or JAL. Maybe I should go to the partners websites (AA & JAL websites) thru BA website and book directly from them? I'm not sure.

Thanks for pointing out a cheaper alternative, which is flying to either SFO or LAX by my own and going to SIN from there using my BA miles. ^^

Last edited by frugaltravel; Dec 22, 09 at 10:19 pm
frugaltravel is offline  
Old Dec 22, 09, 10:15 pm
  #1781  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 142
Originally Posted by moondog View Post
Since that breaks the "single partner" rule, and DFW-SIN is a LONG flight (2+ partner awards are distance based, as you know from your own research), I'm afraid that Happy's advice is spot on. However, since AA flies DFW-NRT nonstop, I'd be tempted to grab that and use UA miles for NRT-SIN (currently 30k miles RT in C or 20k in Y).

ETA: It might be possible to score a JL flight number on DFW-NRT. I know code shares aren't supposed to work, but since PDX-LAX does, this would be worthy of further investigation.
Thanks for the response! And thanks for pointing out another alternative of using my BA miles from DFW to NRT and using my AA miles (I currently have 40K AA miles) from NRT to SIN. ^^ However, when I tried booking a ticket from DFW to NRT thru BA website, it showed that I was short around 40K miles. I currently have 50K miles in the BA account. So, I need 90K to fly from DFW to NRT on an economy class. I was surprised it takes 90K miles to fly DFW-NRT using BA miles on AA while I only need 70K to fly DFW-NRT-SIN using AA miles on AA and JAL.

Last edited by frugaltravel; Dec 22, 09 at 10:27 pm
frugaltravel is offline  
Old Dec 22, 09, 10:24 pm
  #1782  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 28,379
Originally Posted by frugaltravel View Post
Thanks for the response! And thanks for pointing out another alternative of using my BA miles from DFW to NRT and using my AA miles (I currently have 40K AA miles) from NRT to SIN. ^^ However, when I tried booking a ticket from DFW to NRT thru BA website, it showed that I was short around 40K miles. I currently have 50K miles in the BA account. So, I need 90K to fly from DFW to NRT on an economy class. I was surprised it takes 90K miles to fly to NRT from DFW using BA miles on AA while I only need 70K to fly to SIN from DFW (stopover in NRT) using AA miles on AA and JAL.
I were you, I would just buy a ticket to West Coast. AA miles to me are too valuable to waste on a simple domestic r/t. But to each their own.

Last edited by Happy; Dec 22, 09 at 10:31 pm
Happy is offline  
Old Dec 22, 09, 10:27 pm
  #1783  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 28,379
Originally Posted by frankiwa View Post
Correct me if i am wrong, but i think i read that they charge like a ₤15 or ₤30 fee to book by phone. So either you take their limited routes on the website (more expensive award routes) or they let you call in to book the most efficient single partner route (if you are fortunate enough to find it on another site), yet they charge you to do so. Seem they try to get u either way.
All FF programs charge phone booking fee. This is not BA alone.

FYI, AA does NOT have ANY ABILITY to book partner award online. It must be booked by phone and you must pay the phone booking fee which is Non-refundable, even though later on the award may have to be canceled due to flight schedule changes.
Happy is offline  
Old Dec 22, 09, 10:32 pm
  #1784  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 33,033
Originally Posted by frugaltravel View Post
Thanks for the response! And thanks for pointing out another alternative of using my BA miles from DFW to NRT and using my AA miles (I currently have 40K AA miles) from NRT to SIN. ^^ However, when I tried booking a ticket from DFW to NRT thru BA website, it showed that I was short around 40K miles. I currently have 50K miles in the BA account. So, I need 90K to fly from DFW to NRT on an economy class. I was surprised it takes 90K miles to fly to NRT from DFW using BA miles on JAL while I only need 70K to fly to SIN from DFW using AA miles on AA and JAL.
You're still a bit confused, which isn't your fault.

So, allow me to spell out the way things should work:
-DFW-NRT should be 25k miles each way in Y, or twice that in C
-you should definitely be able to book the nonstop because it generally has great award availability
-but, you might have to call for it
-failing that DFW-ORD/LAX-NRT are also fair game
-the problem you're running into is that the flights BA is trying to push on you require 60k miles each way in Y

With regard to NRT-SIN, I would advise against using AA miles for that stretch because AA splits Asia into 2 zones (north and south), which would mean an expensive redemption for you. UA does the same, but its current award chart contains an error in which N. Asia to S. Asia is actually cheaper than intra-N. Asia.

Your other option is to follow Happy's advice and get yourself to LAX or SFO and fly the rest on JL metal. When I first got into this promotion, it was relatively easy to find JL flights on ba.com*, but that doesn't seem to be the case now. Even so, I'm pretty sure that there are still award seats on many JL and CX flights. In order to find them, you might want to create jal and asia miles accounts.... then, call BA.

*ETA: They are still easy to find, but only when selecting a non JL city (e.g. DFW) as an origin. This is actually good news because it proves that the JL flights are available in BA's world.

Last edited by moondog; Dec 22, 09 at 10:41 pm
moondog is offline  
Old Dec 22, 09, 10:34 pm
  #1785  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SEA
Programs: Alaska MVPG, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Titanium
Posts: 1,642
Originally Posted by frugaltravel View Post
Thanks for the response! And thanks for pointing out another alternative of using my BA miles from DFW to NRT and using my AA miles (I currently have 40K AA miles) from NRT to SIN. ^^
The real treat of the BAEC program is the 50K miles from NA to Far East. I would try to maximize that part. AA's redemption chart in Asia is really not that attractive IMHO.

You may consider redeeming 25K AA miles from DFW to any of the CX/JL gateway city (i.e. JFK, ORD, LAX, SFO, YVR, YYZ), and then redeem 50K BA miles on either CX via HKG or JL via NRT. That will save you 15K of AA miles.

EDIT to add: I also agree that AA miles are too valuable for US domestic or NRT-SIN. I would suggest buying a ticket to any CX/JL gateway city and from then proceed across the Pacific.

Last edited by buschoi; Dec 22, 09 at 10:40 pm
buschoi is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: