Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Is there a United Chase card with no annual fee?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2015, 12:57 pm

Sorry to bring back a thread from the graveyard, but I have this same question in 2015. Anyone have an up-to-date answer?
Old Jun 22, 2015, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by vacayseeker
Sorry to bring back a thread from the graveyard, but I have this same question in 2015. Anyone have an up-to-date answer?
I was offered a chase card that had 1 point for every 2 dollars spent as a product i was allowed to downgrade my mileageplus card from to avoid the annual fee. Rep said i can't find info on the web about it because its not offered to the public.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by rihc55
I was offered a chase card that had 1 point for every 2 dollars spent as a product i was allowed to downgrade my mileageplus card from to avoid the annual fee. Rep said i can't find info on the web about it because its not offered to the public.
Interesting. When was that and did you take it? And was it the "rewards" card a previous poster mentioned?

Last edited by vacayseeker; Jun 22, 2015 at 1:10 pm
Old Jun 22, 2015, 6:01 pm

what are you looking for (specific benefits like luggage, or just want to earn united miles?)

You could get a AF-free card like Amex Everyday, earn 1x Membership Rewards (1.2x if you have >20 purchases/month), double points if booked via amextravel.com

Transfer to Star Alliance partners (United is in Star Alliance, might be able to book United flights)
  • ANA 1:1
  • KrisFlyer 1:1
  • Aeroplane 1:1
there are other airlines on the list too. Amex rarely offer bonuses when you transfer (eg 40% bonus for British Airways Avios)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...l-program.html
http://thepointsguy.com/2013/04/maxi...oints-get-you/
Old Jun 23, 2015, 12:17 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
This year I downgraded to Explorer to the "MileagePlus Card" with no annual fee.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by SFOPhD
This year I downgraded to Explorer to the "MileagePlus Card" with no annual fee.
Do you or anyone else with this card have a picture of it handy that you could post (without the private info of course). I'm going to call in the coming weeks to get it downgraded but would like to know what this card is really called. I've done several Google searches now and can't find anything about it (only Awards, Select, Explorer and Club).
Old Sep 21, 2015, 1:56 am

Do you or anyone else with this card have a picture of it handy that you could post (without the private info of course). I'm going to call in the coming weeks to get it downgraded but would like to know what this card is really called. I've done several Google searches now and can't find anything about it (only Awards, Select, Explorer and Club).
Any follow up to this? I think I'm finally ready to give up my $140 annual fee United signature visa, since I'm flying a lot less now and the PQMs just aren't worth the fee anymore. Hoping there's still a no fee card I can move to, as I don't really want the explorer card, and since I've had the signature visa so long, closing it completely could have a negative effect on my credit score.

Has anyone been successful moving to a no fee United card lately?
Old Sep 21, 2015, 4:19 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott
Sorry to slightly hijack but is there a no-AF Marriott card? Maybe also unadvertised?
Old Dec 28, 2015, 8:49 am

What to do

Sorry to bring back an old thread here.

I am looking to apply for a united credit card that will give me miles for my purchases. I noticed most cards are free for the first year. Is anyone able to confirm that I would be able to get downgraded to the no fee card after this first year so i don't have to pay the annual fee?

I don't want to waste my time doing this if it's not possible and would consider going a different direction.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Do you or anyone else with this card have a picture of it handy that you could post (without the private info of course)
Originally Posted by gradient-echo
Hoping there's still a no fee card I can move to, as I don't really want the explorer card, and since I've had the signature visa so long, closing it completely could have a negative effect on my credit score. Has anyone been successful moving to a no fee United card lately?

I have had the no-AF United card since way back when it was a CO card. Here is a picture, along with it's big brother. It's still available to new card holders since when I cancelled my Explorer card, it was available as a downgrade option. I didn't take it because I already had one. TBH I almost never actually use it, just keep for AAoA reasons.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 12:57 pm

Programs: United Platinum, Marriott Platinum, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond

Very helpful krazykanuck. Does the no fee card come with any benefits of the $95 fee card like no checked bag fee or access to additional award inventory?
Old Jan 2, 2016, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by frmnj
Very helpful krazykanuck. Does the no fee card come with any benefits of the $95 fee card like no checked bag fee or access to additional award inventory?
No, doesn't come with a free checked bag. I can't confirm if it has access to adtl award inventory. Since I have UA elite status I see the expanded inventory when logged in regardless of credit card.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 12:24 am

Originally Posted by giacona
Is anyone able to confirm that I would be able to get downgraded to the no fee card after this first year so i don't have to pay the annual fee?
I was able to do this via SM this week and can confirm everything in the reply of message #15 back in 2013.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 8:10 am

Hey all,

just noticed this regarding the no fee United Card. I have the same number linked as my old explorer on the MileagePlusX App and I believe it still triggers the Bonus miles. So there is a slight additional benefit for keeping the downgraded card.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by buggy51
Hey all,

just noticed this regarding the no fee United Card. I have the same number linked as my old explorer on the MileagePlusX App and I believe it still triggers the Bonus miles. So there is a slight additional benefit for keeping the downgraded card.
Increased award inventory...can anyone confirm if they can still access the increased award inventory with the no-fee card? That's the only benefit I see keeping this card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.