Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Central America
Reload this Page >

Tourist Card for El Salvador

Old Jul 22, 2009, 11:18 pm
Original Poster

Hello all,

I will be going to El Salvador the 27th aka Monday to be with my wife who was recently deported.

I have a valid US passport with atleast 6 months left and all blank pages. I understand all I have to do is get on a plane and go and then ... I can purchase a tourist card when I get to El Salvador for US 10 dollars.

My questions: How long does this tourist card last for? Is it 30 or 90 days?

Also: someone mentioned for some countries you need to have proof of a "return" ticket when you ask for a visa card. I don't want to do that because I might not stay long or I may stay the max time they allow me. I also don't want to have to pay to change it, etc. So I figured it'd be easier to just buy it when I decide to return.

Will immigration ask me for my return flight and if I do not have one will they deny me entry?

(I am an american citizen w/ valid passport as formentioned).

Also, how is the process? When I get off the plane I just goto a line for tourist cards or... ? Any idea what questions they will ask me? I speak fluent spanish.
Old Jul 23, 2009, 4:54 am

Programs: CO Gold
I doubt that immigration at SAL will ask you anything at all. Its more likely that the airline may ask you if for a return ticket (American Airlines when flying to Miami is very prone to that)

you can always buy a fully refundable ticket (if they ask you for that) and be done with it

the entry requirements say "Visa required, except for A stay of max. 3 months, for
nationals of U.S.A.."

So that tells me that your max stay is 3 months, normally (although I cant be sure for SAL) you can simply exit SAL for 72 hours to a neighboring country , come back and get another 3 month stay (but I remember hearing that in Honduras the 72 hour exit couldnt be to Salvador, Guatemala or Nicaragua so they had to go to Belize, so you would have to recheck those facts if you use that option)
Old Jul 23, 2009, 6:11 am

Programs: aadvantage platinum, united premier, Northwest Gold Elite
I have never had a problem anywhere is S. America...if your holding a US passport they have always been happy to see me.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 4:09 pm

Programs: TA Platinum (Now LifeMiles Diamond), CO/CM Platinum. (Now UA Premier 1K) AMEX Platinum
The $10 tourist card has a blank space for the authorized stay time. The immigration official that processes you in El Salvador has the authority to provide you up to 90 days on that $10 card. My last visits to El Salvador have been for 6 to 24 hours, and I have always been assigned 30 days on the tourist card. THe official will ask you how ling you plan on staying while he processes you. I would tell hime that you are planning to staying 2-3 months and see if he gives you the max 90 days allowed. You could leave El Salvador for Nicaragua, Honduras or Guatemala and return on the same tourist card. But if you go out of the CA-4 region to say Costa Rica or Mexico, you will need a new card upon return to El Salvador.

The return ticket is more of an airline thing. They are required to verify that you have proof of onward travel if your are not a resident of El Salvador. Some never ask, others always do. Be prepared to purchase a fully refundable onward ticket as Wolfie_cr suggests.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 6:31 am

Programs: bits of shiny plastic w/ varied utility
return/onward ticket

I don't have access to TINS at the moment -- this is the system the airlines use to verify entry requirements. But the TINS for all CA-4 countries says something along the lines of: proof of return and/or continuing travel or proof of sufficient funds for return/continuing.

Twice I have had to argue with AA regarding the lack of a "return" ticket - once in MIA and once in ATL. The airlines can be fined ~$10,000 for boarding someone who does not meet entry requirements but the TINS page for CA-4 countries is pretty clear.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 11:15 pm

Programs: CO Gold
National U.S.A. (US) /Embarkation U.S.A. (US)
Destination El Salvador (SV)

El Salvador (SV)

Passport required.
- Passport and/or passport replacing documents must be valid 6
months on arrival.
- Nationals of U.S.A. may enter with passports valid on
arrival.

Visa required, except for A stay of max. 3 months, for
nationals of U.S.A..
Visa required, except for Holders of a Birth Certificate
showing place of birth in El Salvador.
Visa required, except for Children born outside El Salvador,
whose parents are nationals of El Salvador, provided holding
Birth Certificate proving that parents are nationals of El
Salvador.
Additional Information:
- All foreign visitors must hold return or onward tickets and
all documents required for next destination;

- except for those, irrespective of nationality, whose
passport states that they were born in El Salvador.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 6:23 am

Originally Posted by wolfie_cr
National U.S.A. (US) /Embarkation U.S.A. (US)
Destination El Salvador (SV)

El Salvador (SV)

Passport required.
- Passport and/or passport replacing documents must be valid 6
months on arrival.
- Nationals of U.S.A. may enter with passports valid on
arrival.

Visa required, except for A stay of max. 3 months, for
nationals of U.S.A..
Visa required, except for Holders of a Birth Certificate
showing place of birth in El Salvador.
Visa required, except for Children born outside El Salvador,
whose parents are nationals of El Salvador, provided holding
Birth Certificate proving that parents are nationals of El
Salvador.
Additional Information:
- All foreign visitors must hold return or onward tickets and
all documents required for next destination;

- except for those, irrespective of nationality, whose
passport states that they were born in El Salvador.

So if I have onward ticket to Peru, I don't have to get any transit visa of El Salvador?
Old Jan 1, 2014, 7:11 pm

A U.S. passport holder does not require a visa to transit El Salvador.
Old May 29, 2022, 2:27 pm
ATD

Programs: Emirates Skywards, Delta Skymiles, Continental Onepass, etc.
Originally Posted by TacaCopaFlyer
The $10 tourist card has a blank space for the authorized stay time. The immigration official that processes you in El Salvador has the authority to provide you up to 90 days on that $10 card. My last visits to El Salvador have been for 6 to 24 hours, and I have always been assigned 30 days on the tourist card. THe official will ask you how ling you plan on staying while he processes you. I would tell hime that you are planning to staying 2-3 months and see if he gives you the max 90 days allowed. You could leave El Salvador for Nicaragua, Honduras or Guatemala and return on the same tourist card. But if you go out of the CA-4 region to say Costa Rica or Mexico, you will need a new card upon return to El Salvador.

The return ticket is more of an airline thing. They are required to verify that you have proof of onward travel if your are not a resident of El Salvador. Some never ask, others always do. Be prepared to purchase a fully refundable onward ticket as Wolfie_cr suggests.
I realize this is an old thread, but next week we start a quick tour through Central America and am hoping that we only have to pay for one visa to visit all C-4 countries (we arrive in MGA and also visit SAL and GUA).

Or is this only for those who travel between these countries overland? We are flying.

Any advice would be great.

--ATD
Old May 29, 2022, 4:56 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Are you U.S. citizens? It's not a visa per se. It's a tourist card. Guatemala and Honduras don't make you buy one; El Salvador and Nicaragua do. If you fly between countries, you'll have to pay for both ($10 each).
Old May 29, 2022, 5:31 pm
ATD

Programs: Emirates Skywards, Delta Skymiles, Continental Onepass, etc.
Originally Posted by SJOGuy
Are you U.S. citizens? It's not a visa per se. It's a tourist card. Guatemala and Honduras don't make you buy one; El Salvador and Nicaragua do. If you fly between countries, you'll have to pay for both ($10 each).
Yes, we are. Thanks for the info!

--ATD
Old May 29, 2022, 5:42 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Have a great trip!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.