Old May 20, 2008, 11:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: ax starwood marriott co united
quito

thinking of visiting.. any suggestions?
Old May 21, 2008, 2:15 pm

Programs: LH
Question Quito

Hi mitchellk, a warm welcome to FT. FT means: Flyer Talk.

I've been to Quito a couple of times and I could give you some response.
Nevertheless, a little more input would be apreciated.

Last edited by chumbawumba; May 21, 2008 at 10:21 pm Reason: spelling ...
Old May 27, 2008, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: ax starwood marriott co united
quito

booked a flight to quito via copa airlines, will be there with my wife for about 5 days. would want a good hotel(luxury) advice as where to eat, see and what to buy . Any help would be great
Old May 29, 2008, 2:29 am

Programs: CO Platinum
I went to Quito on business two months ago and loved it.
I stayed at the Sheraton, not luxury but really nice.
The best deal I found is taxis. You can hire hotel taxis for about $8/hr.
I went to Mitad del Mundo, or the Equator. There they have nice arts and crafts shops, traditional dining and monuments, highly recommended, maybe 15 miles north of the city?

Don't try to do too much right when you get there as the altitude hit me right as I stepped off of the plane. Lifting suitcases, climbing stairs, trying to beat the plane crowd to immigration takes a lot out of you.

Check tripadvisor.com for hotel info.

Have fun.

Oh yeah, don't be fooled by the location Quito is on the cool side due to the elevation.
Old May 29, 2008, 7:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mitchellk
booked a flight to quito via copa airlines, will be there with my wife for about 5 days. would want a good hotel(luxury) advice as where to eat, see and what to buy . Any help would be great
Hotel wise the JWMarriott is an absolutly grand hotel with a very nice exec lounge.Nice location they have a free shuttle to/from the airport

sorry cant help about places to eat as Im on a special diet

as for where to buy the best place we found was either in the park opposite The Hilton or around the corner from the Hilton is the Mecardo and with a few hundred vendors. I found everything you would anywhere else in the country and it was either the same price or cheaper thats before the bargaining began.

Do go to the equator but make sure that you visit the real place which is to the right side of the Tourist setup and a couple of mins down the road on your left. At the fake equator theres a sort of village set up that is way over priced.
Old Jun 1, 2008, 3:33 am

Programs: LH
Thumbs up

About hotels: I always stayed at families to improve my spanish. But I think, what the others told you is ok.
About places to visit: Visit the equator, and craz is right, the real equator is much more interesting. Do not do the cable car as you will not be adapted to the altura while you are there. The think I have to recomend you is the museum of Guayasamin.
About shopping: Try to go to Otavalo on Saturday. It might not be the cheapest, but the best you can do.
About arriving: If you have a hotel shuttel, take this one, because all the taxis and limo services will ripp you off. Within Quito, you should, during the day, never pay more than 10 US-$. (Which is still triple what needs to be payed.)
About security: Always the same, watch your belongings, do not show your mobile, do not use deserted streets etc.
About money: Ensure that you have small US-$ notes with you. 1US-$-Notes will make live much easier.

Quito is nice and worth traveling to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.