Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Central America
Reload this Page >

Costa Rica Departure Tax

Costa Rica Departure Tax

Old Feb 22, 2008, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA
Costa Rica Departure Tax

Looking to confirm that my information is still current - is the departure tax $26 USD? Payable in cash only? (I thought there was a credit card line in LIR when I was last there, but maybe I'm mis-remembering...)

Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 2:56 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Mariott Rewards, OnePass, TACA, Priority Club
Yep it's $26, though I think you can pay with a Visa or MC. At least, I've paid it like that on several occasions.
Old Feb 23, 2008, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Great, thanks!
Old Feb 23, 2008, 11:19 am

Programs: MP Gold, HH Gold, PC Plat Elite-RA
You can also buy it on the way in, so as to save time on the way out. There is usually a stand open in baggage claim, if not just shoot upstairs to ticketing.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 5:44 pm

Programs: UA, AA Gold, Delta, HHonors Diamond, Marriott, Starwood
I think if you pay the departure tax with a credit card, its treated like a cash advance.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 4:22 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Mariott Rewards, OnePass, TACA, Priority Club
That's right. IIRC, the implication is that a 3 or 4% surcharge is applied. That's because the tax of $26 needs to be paid exact; if it worked like a regular CC transaction it would be $26 minus the processing fee which is from 1% to 4% in CR.
Old Feb 28, 2008, 12:10 pm

Programs: QF Silver
Just a caveat - a couple of years ago I was warned by my CR hosts that there might be people just outside of the airport offering to sell bogus exit stamps. This has probably changed but just to be safe make sure to purchase them INSIDE the terminal.
Old Mar 4, 2008, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Very helpful - thanks to all who responded.
Old Mar 4, 2008, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by Zarf4
Just a caveat - a couple of years ago I was warned by my CR hosts that there might be people just outside of the airport offering to sell bogus exit stamps. This has probably changed but just to be safe make sure to purchase them INSIDE the terminal.
I noticed that Sansa now charges a $1 departure tax and a $1 arrival tax for domestic flights. When I flew into Tambor in January I just laughed at the guy and walked past him to the taxi. However, he had the backing of the Sansa guy when I departed so I had to pay the $1 departure tax or I wasn't going to be let on the plane.

It probably costs more to have a guy there collecting the money. I don't think any of it is going to "improvements".

I love CR!
Old Mar 8, 2008, 11:33 am

You can pay with credit or debit at the airport in SJO but I can't speak for the other airports. I don't recall a surcharge to pay with credit card but I could be wrong.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 6:24 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
You can also buy the exit tax forms at many hotels... pay a couple dollars more for service charge, but it goes on your hotel bill... maybe you will earn more Marriott points or Hilton points?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.