Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Central America
Reload this Page >

recent experiences in San Salvador or Managua?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2022, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)

Have never been to either country and was thinking of visiting one or both next month, with San Salvador my first choice. If anyone has been to either city recently, I'm interested in your feedback. (Feel safe? Any Covid mask or other rules still in effect?) Not looking to do anything exotic. Just a few days in a nice hotel and a city tour. Thanks.
Old Dec 31, 2022, 10:44 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Are you married to this idea? First of all, you can do a lot better in both countries than their capital cities. San Salvador is not a very safe place. Managua is just ghastly. Neither has much of visitor interest at all. Truth be told, I wouldn't visit either country right now. El Salvador is plagued by gang violence. Nicaragua is receding into dictatorship. I wouldn't go to either place until their situations improve. That's me.
Old Dec 31, 2022, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
I'm not married to the idea, no, but there are some cheap flights and the crime rate in El Salvador supposedly has plummeted since they did the mass gang lock-ups.

I've never heard Managua described as "ghastly" before. It's really that bad?
Old Dec 31, 2022, 10:29 pm

Managua is this ugly, sprawling monstrosity of a city. Its downtown was destroyed in the 1972 earthquake and was never rebuilt. There's nothing that holds the city together. Walking is next to impossible, and it's beastly hot. Really, there's nothing of visitor interest there. If you decide to go to Nicaragua, head to colonial Granada instead.
Old Jan 2, 2023, 11:30 am

Programs: UA
As the poster above mentions, Managua's post-quake development and sprawl does make it an oddball in latin america. I found it safer and more orderly than other central american cities. I generally agree there's not much to do or see in the city, it's not built for walking, and it's hot. Taxis are strange too, as I recall. But, you can drink some local beers, see how Nicaraguans live in a personality cult country, admire the goofy "trees of life" things, check the box that you've been there. If you're geologically inclined, there's an active volcano south of the city, you can look down and see molten rock, and there are some crater lakes through the city. Definitely visit Granada.

I've been to San Salvador dozens of times for business, never saw anything worth making an effort to go see. I guess there's a colonial sector downtown with the requisite churches and such. Same deal if you want to check the box.

The Intercontinental Hotels in both capitals are two of my favorites.
js1993 and SJOGuy like this.
Old Jan 2, 2023, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by YadiMolina
If you're geologically inclined, there's an active volcano south of the city, you can look down and see molten rock
The Masaya volcano (definitely cool) is more easily reached from Granada than Managua. I think that's one more reason to base yourself in the former rather than the latter.
js1993 likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2023, 10:05 am

It's almost the end of January. What did you decide to do?
Old Jan 30, 2023, 4:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SJOGuy
It's almost the end of January. What did you decide to do?
Had some work travel pop up, so I'm in Mexico for the next few weeks. No easy flights to either country from the city I'm in, so probably won't be visiting either on this trip.
Old Jan 30, 2023, 7:27 pm

Ah, okay. I was curious. I stand by my advice that neither Nicaragua nor El Salvador is a good place to visit these days.
Old May 14, 2023, 2:58 am

Programs: AA Exp, Radisson VIP, Expedia OneKey Platinum, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amex Plati
Originally Posted by SJOGuy
Ah, okay. I was curious. I stand by my advice that neither Nicaragua nor El Salvador is a good place to visit these days.
I was in El Salvador last year. It's probably better to visit now than it has been in a long time. For now a lot of the gangs are in jail. Business people are upbeat and optimistic that good times are ahead for the travel industry. Not to say that it's without danger. It's probably now about average safety compared to other Latin American destinations. Of course things could go bad in a hurry if there's some change of leadership and the gangs are all let out of jail. Just have to stay tuned.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.