FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Central America (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/central-america-479/)
-   -   SJO Intl-Intl Transit? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/central-america/2092528-sjo-intl-intl-transit.html)

marks88 Aug 30, 2022 7:47 am

SJO Intl-Intl Transit?

Any recent experiences with international to international transit at SJO? Found a cheap J ticket SJO-CDG on AF, will be arriving UA from US. Separate oneway tickets but plenty of time in between flights - I'll take the risk. Just want to know if there are issues with transit, including fact that I am arriving on oneway ticket (and departing later that day on another). Thanks in advance.

SJOGuy Aug 30, 2022 10:13 pm

SJO built a transit security post several years ago. Arriving passengers no longer mix with departing passengers. Avianca "de-hubbed" the airport soon after. The post is rarely staffed, and only when Avianca is expecting the few transit passengers that come through. I question how you're going to communicate that you need security personnel to be there when you're on two separate tickets.

marks88 Aug 31, 2022 6:54 am

Originally Posted by SJOGuy (Post 34559758)
SJO built a transit security post several years ago. Arriving passengers no longer mix with departing passengers. Avianca "de-hubbed" the airport soon after. The post is rarely staffed, and only when Avianca is expecting the few transit passengers that come through. I question how you're going to communicate that you need security personnel to be there when you're on two separate tickets.

Thanks. I guess I could always clear immigration (assuming they are good with proof of onward travel)? I have 6-7 hours so no worries on timing. Anything fun to do nearby?

marks88 Oct 5, 2022 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by SJOGuy (Post 34559758)

I might've gotten lucky but the transit checkpoint was staffed when I arrived, just had to tell them destination and go thru security. Fortunate for me because (around 12pm) immigration was nuts.

SJOGuy Oct 7, 2022 6:51 pm

Oh, good! I'm happy it worked out for you.

yakel Nov 19, 2022 2:05 pm

For passengers arriving from the US to SJO, any fast track or VIP service to get through customs and immigration more quickly?

SJOGuy Nov 20, 2022 7:32 pm

If you're elderly, disabled, or pregnant, there's a dedicated line at passport control. Otherwise, no.

By "elderly," I'd say the qualification is that someone is visibly in need of special accommodation.

SJOGuy Nov 20, 2022 7:47 pm

I take that back. There is an outfit called Royal Airport Concierge that offers fast-track services for many airports worldwide, SJO included. I can't vouch for them.

Royal Airport Concierge

yakel Nov 21, 2022 3:14 am

Thanks. I wrote to them a couple of days ago, but no reply as of yet.