FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Central America (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/central-america-479/)
-   -   XPL (Palmerola Intl. Airport) Transportation (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/central-america/2090021-xpl-palmerola-intl-airport-transportation.html)

JayhawkCO Aug 8, 2022 1:18 pm

XPL (Palmerola Intl. Airport) Transportation

I see some reports of a free bus running transfers between XPL and TGU, but I don't find a whole lot of detail. I also see that I can pre-book a taxi from XPL (on the airport website) to Tegus for $70, which seems pretty expensive for Honduras. Does anyone have any recent experience flying into the new airport and getting to town?

SJOGuy Aug 9, 2022 11:32 am

Well, the airport is 90 minutes from Tegucigalpa. I'd expect a taxi to cost $70.

I'll be interested to hear about your experience with the new XPL. I've flown in and out of Toncontín many times, including the really old Toncontín, before they remodeled the interior. I see TGU will still be used for domestic flights.

JayhawkCO Aug 9, 2022 11:57 am

Originally Posted by SJOGuy (Post 34500186)
Well, the airport is 90 minutes from Tegucigalpa. I'd expect a taxi to cost $70.

I'll be interested to hear about your experience with the new XPL. I've flown in and out of Toncontín many times, including the really old Toncontín, before they remodeled the interior. I see TGU will still be used for domestic flights.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like I'll be going there, and I was actually never going to be flying there. I'm trying to get from León (Nicaragua) to Útila in one day, and unfortunately, all the shuttles that run from León to La Ceiba all arrive after the last ferry of the day. So, my thought process was that I could take a shuttle to Tegucigalpa and fly, but unfortunately none of the shuttle companies are currently running shuttles to Tegus, and the Tica Bus would get in too late. The flight still seemed like the best option, so now just how do I catch it.

One company, Roneey Shuttle, said they'd take me from León to San Lorenzo, Honduras for $40, and I figured if the border didn't delay me too badly, I could take a bus up to Tegus. If it did delay me, I'd just probably have to pay $100 for a taxi. But right after I booked that option, they let me know they were also starting a shuttle to Lago de Jojoa that day and they could drop me off at XPL. Originally, I thought it might not be too bad of an option since there are likely more taxis making that trip than San Lorenzo-Tocontín, and there was a promise of a free shuttle bus running on various websites. Unfortunately, I just verified with Palmerola airport that those busses are no more, so it would be the $70 taxi that I put in the OP. (Edit: it also looks like they have Uber in Tegus, and it's only $35ish from one airport to another.)

So basically my options are:
Option A)
Shuttle from León to XPL - $60x2, arriving ~11:00
Taxi from XPL to TGU - $70 arriving ~12:30

Option B)
Shuttle from León to San Lorenzo - $40x2, arriving ~9:00
Bus from San Lorenzo to Tegucigalpa, $3x2, arriving ~11:30
Taxi from Tegus (somewhere) to TGU, $10 arriving ~12:00

or worst case scenario

Option C)
Shuttle from León to San Lorenzo - $40x2, arriving ~9:00
Taxi from San Lorenzo to TGU, ~$100, arriving ~11:30

Either Option B or Option C seem better than A, so that's what I'm planning.

SJOGuy Aug 9, 2022 10:13 pm

You have your reasons for needing to do this in one day. It sounds complicated. Best of luck. :)

JayhawkCO Aug 9, 2022 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by SJOGuy (Post 34501808)
You have your reasons for needing to do this in one day. It sounds complicated. Best of luck. :)

Mostly just short vacation. Bluntly, I also like trying to figure out the logistics, too.

SJOGuy Aug 10, 2022 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by JayhawkCO (Post 34501863)
Mostly just short vacation. Bluntly, I also like trying to figure out the logistics, too.

For me, the shorter the time I have, the less territory I try to cover. :)

You mention being in León. I take it you've made your peace with getting to Nicaragua on AV? (The other thread.) The US Big Three still are in no hurry to return to Nicaragua.

JayhawkCO Aug 11, 2022 8:00 am

Originally Posted by SJOGuy (Post 34504577)
For me, the shorter the time I have, the less territory I try to cover. :)

You mention being in León. I take it you've made your peace with getting to Nicaragua on AV? (The other thread.) The US Big Three still are in no hurry to return to Nicaragua.

Got schedule changed yet again as AV stopped flying from IAH and DFW on Wednesdays, so now we're flying DEN-CUN-PTY-MGA. Trying to change that to DEN-IAH-PTY-MGA with only the last leg on CM since I don't feel like battling the gringos clearing immigration and re-checking in in Cancun, but so far, no luck. We do have ~3.5 hours there, so hopefully that should be plenty.

I would have tried to cover less territory, but at the time of booking, there were easy flights and shuttles to get where I wanted to go relatively quickly. I made reservations and whatnot (with really good deals), so unfortunately it baked the destination and dates in more than I usually like.

Oh well, it will be an adventure as most of my trips tend to be.

I mean, who doesn't do the following to get from one town to another:
3:30 am shuttle
9:00 am bus
11:30 am taxi/Uber
3:00 pm flight
3:45 pm taxi
4:30 pm ferry

;)

davistev Dec 6, 2023 9:40 am

I for one would still like to know what the options are between Palmerola Airport and Tegucigalpa.

Does Uber operate outy of the airport?
Is there at least a shuttle bus?