Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Car Rental Advice in Costa Rica

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2023, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Platinum
I would expect additional insurances. There were something like four or five different coverages, then there was a blanket policy that included everything. If you don't get the all inclusive blanket policy, your deposit will be very high. If you get all the coverages, your deposit will be much lower...mine went from over $2000 deposit to $500. Rental car companies in Israel tend to do the same thing.
Old Mar 31, 2023, 2:09 pm

Divrdrew, thanks for the reply. I've never had that problem with car rentals in Israel. Then again, on most of my visits during the past 15 years, I've booked the car through Hertz.se, and all mandatory insurances are already included in the reservation. The only place in Latin America that I've rented a car is in Mexico, and I've been given the choice of either paying for an expensive zero deductible, or leaving a huge deposit, but they've never tried to force me to take the full package. I'm considering paying Costa Rica my first visit this summer, but I'm a bit put off by the whole car insurance thing.
Old Apr 4, 2023, 6:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Platinum
The last time I was in Israel, they totally tried to rip us off in TLV at the airport. Avis Preferred, made reservation, had letter from AMEX indicating coverage, and they still said I had to spend literally a few thousand dollars on the car rental...price went from like $350 to over $2500. I saw them pull the same stuff with the guy before me in line and just shook my head. Then they did it to me. I cancelled it immediately, rebooked for pickup in Jerusalem, and didn't have any issues there. Used to be good at the airport, but the last trip really left a bad taste in my mouth. Only time in many trips I had a problem there.
Old Apr 5, 2023, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by divrdrew
The last time I was in Israel, they totally tried to rip us off in TLV at the airport. Avis Preferred, made reservation, had letter from AMEX indicating coverage, and they still said I had to spend literally a few thousand dollars on the car rental...price went from like $350 to over $2500. I saw them pull the same stuff with the guy before me in line and just shook my head. Then they did it to me. I cancelled it immediately, rebooked for pickup in Jerusalem, and didn't have any issues there. Used to be good at the airport, but the last trip really left a bad taste in my mouth. Only time in many trips I had a problem there.
That's horrible. I've never experienced anything similar in TLV. Then again, as far as I can remember, I've never rented from Avis in TLV. It's mainly been Hertz, with the occasional rental from Eldan or Thrifty.
Old Apr 5, 2023, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by RedChili
Does anyone have any experience with European car reservations in Costa Rica?
I've not made a reservation through a European site, but when I was pricing out options on Enterprise.com and Nationalcar.com (the US websites) it was pretty clear about which coverages were mandatory and how much they cost. I ultimately booked using my employer's corporate code, which includes LDW and third party liability, and the price I was charged for the rental was exactly the same as what I was quoted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.