Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Central America
Reload this Page >

San Pedro Sula or Tegucigalpa (and flights)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2021, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA *S, BA Fanboy

Let me start off by stating that I understand the dangerous reputation of both of these cities. I've traveled overland Cape to Cairo, as well as Tangiers to Dakar. I'm well aware of the risks. I'm fluent in Spanish.

I'll be in Roatan for a week next month and I'd like to make a day trip to one of the cities. I have no interest in going to Copan or anywhere else, it's either TGU or SAP for me. From what I can see, Tegucigalpa seems to be a slightly better place to visit, though neither get very positive reviews anyway. For a day trip, is one better than the other?

Second question. I'm going to fly over from RTB, presumably on CM Airlines. Flights; however, seem fairly expensive. Around $110 each way pretty much every day. Is it cheaper to buy tickets from the airport or a travel agent once I get to Honduras?
Old Apr 28, 2021, 7:40 pm

Programs: UA
I once traveled to San Pedro Sula for business a few years ago. I loved the Intercontinental there. I felt safety was no different there than any other latin american city I've visited. On the other hand, I saw nothing interesting for tourism either. And it was flat and hot and humid. TGU at least has that interesting approach landing over the mountains.
Old May 1, 2021, 5:32 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Could I suggest neither? Seriously. I would not pay $220 R/T airfare to fly to TGU or SAP for the day. There's nothing of note to see. Both cities have a deserved reputation for being dangerous. I honestly think you'd arrive at either place and say, with a heavy sigh, "Why did I do this?"

Last edited by SJOGuy; May 1, 2021 at 5:43 pm
Old May 10, 2021, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA *S, BA Fanboy
I'll be going to Tegucigalpa on CM Airlines. $217 r/t. I'll report how it goes.

However, judging by the responses to this thread and the absolute lack of information on the topic I could find online, I'm not sure anybody cares.
Old May 10, 2021, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by Red Raider LV

However, judging by the responses to this thread and the absolute lack of information on the topic I could find online, I'm not sure anybody cares.
Oh, definitely report back. I've written a fair amount about tourism in Honduras, so I'm interested. Let us know how it goes.

Last edited by SJOGuy; May 10, 2021 at 8:36 pm
Old May 28, 2021, 12:09 am

Programs: UA Gold, BONVOY TIT

I care because of personal interest in interesting stories.
Old May 29, 2021, 4:54 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler
I would be interested too. In addition to mainstream tourist city things, I have a niche interest in national capitals and government. I like to visit the national legislature/parliament, walk around the national government buildings, visit the national library/archives, visit the national museum, and walk the diplomatic quarter (the area where the embassies are located).
Old Jun 3, 2021, 7:36 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

In this vein, I'd like to to SAP to Copan to San Salvador to Tapachula (overland)...are the borders even open?
Old Jun 12, 2021, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Sorry for the delay in reporting back. I had an enjoyable day in Tegucigalpa. Uber is definitely the way to get around. Cheap and reliable!

Tegucigalpa as a whole is... boring for sure. But if you’re in a Honduras anyway, it’s worth your time. The most interesting thing to do is probably go up to Picacho park. I took an Uber up for around HNL 100. I took the bus down and it was HNL 18. The Jesus statue is like any you see in Latin America, but the views of the city are great and you can see planes fly in to the valley and land at the airport. It was cool seeing an AA A319 pop out of nowhere and land in the middle of a sprawling metropolis.

Stop at Tito Aguacate in the city for a beer. It looks rough on the outside, but it’s friendly on the inside.

The priority pass lounge is accessible on domestic and international flights as all flights leave from the same gates.

I never felt unsafe at all. Sure, I stuck out as the only tourist in the city, but nobody seemed to pay me any attention.
bensyd likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2021, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
In this vein, I'd like to to SAP to Copan to San Salvador to Tapachula (overland)...are the borders even open?
Borders are open. I met people at my guesthouse in Roatan that had come overland from San Salvador.
BuildingMyBento likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 7:08 pm

Thanks for reporting back. Okay. So even Tegucigalpa has a few redeeming qualities.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 11:38 am

Sorry for the delay in reporting back. I had an enjoyable day in Tegucigalpa. Uber is definitely the way to get around. Cheap and reliable!

Tegucigalpa as a whole is... boring for sure. But if you’re in a Honduras anyway, it’s worth your time. The most interesting thing to do is probably go up to Picacho park. I took an Uber up for around HNL 100. I took the bus down and it was HNL 18. The Jesus statue is like any you see in Latin America, but the views of the city are great and you can see planes fly in to the valley and land at the airport. It was cool seeing an AA A319 pop out of nowhere and land in the middle of a sprawling metropolis.

Stop at Tito Aguacate in the city for a beer. It looks rough on the outside, but it’s friendly on the inside.

The priority pass lounge is accessible on domestic and international flights as all flights leave from the same gates.

I never felt unsafe at all. Sure, I stuck out as the only tourist in the city, but nobody seemed to pay me any attention.
any reports on the rental car there, how cheap was uber there like $3 dollars cheap

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.