Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Central America
Reload this Page >

Belize Solo under Covid Gold Std. Flights to San Ignacio?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2021, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

Any suggestions for budget travel options for solo travel in Belize currently? (mostly Maya site focused.) I don't mind an occasional group tour, e.g. to Caracol or something. But with their limited Gold Standard (which I do appreciate!) it seems like it is difficult to do things on my own like I normally would. At least I can just walk to Cahal Pech. There do seem to be a wide variety of hotels under the Gold Std. so that isn't too big a deal.

It doesn't seem like I'm allowed to rent a car, right?

Does no one currently fly regularly to San Ignacio? I'm thinking of a trip there as a solo traveler, and with their current Gold Standard requirements (no taking a public bus allowed) it looks like a shuttle ride from BZE to San Ignacio will cost as much as or more than a domestic flight.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 3:33 pm

I'll start by saying that Belize is an incredibly easy destination for solo travel. The roads are decent, they speak English, and there are lots of hotel and hostel options. If you are looking for Mayan ruins, there are several up in the Northern part of the country including the two most well known ones; Altun and Lamanai. They are a bit out of the way, though.

I recommend San Ignacio and it's not a long drive from Belize City. My flight to BZE was very delayed so I ended up getting in at a weird time. The hostel I was staying in sent a car for me and it was very easy and not expensive at all. There are many hostel options for budget travel and having met several people staying at others, I don't think you can really go wrong with any of them. It's a very tiny town and getting around is easy. All of the southern sites are very accessible from there, and I also recommend checking out the ATM caves (wear a bathing suit). I can't speak to flying into San Ignacio as I flew into BZE, but the drive from there is very easy and shouldn't cost you too much even with a private car.
Old Apr 28, 2021, 7:28 am

Tropicair normally fly to San Ignacio but they suspended this route (and Belmopan) last year at the start of covid and AFAIK there's no date for them restarting that route. As you are aware, there are restrictions on travelling for tourists in Belize currently. I'm not sure about car hire (we own our own out there) but might be worth messaging a couple of the car hire places at BZE to check. If not then a gold standard private local taxi might be a cheaper option than a hotel/hostel arranged transfer. I'm afraid I don't have any contacts for drivers in this part of the country though. Hope you get sorted and enjoy your trip! Ps there is still a curfew in place too due to their emergency covid regs but it's been extended to start at 10pm now.
physics likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

OP here. I wound up renting a car. (It is allowed under their Covid rules; I met some Americans who took the public bus from Belize City to San Ignacio, too.) Worked great, covered a lot of territory. Stayed near San Ignacio 4 nights. I had a great time and loved Belize. Made it to seven different Maya ruins sites:
  • Altun Ha (not bad)
  • Cahal Pech (enjoyable, right in San Ignacio)
  • Caracol (tough to get to but great site and worth the bumpy drive)
  • Xunantunich (nice combination of easy to get to and its great El Castillo)
  • El Pilar (interesting to see a large unrestored site, considered a bit unsafe by my hotel and had to pay extra to be accompanied by guard/guide, I'm glad I went.)
  • Benque Viejo (very small, near Xunantunich)
  • Mayflower Bocawina (has a set of pretty small, unexcavated ruins). There are also lots of waterfalls in the park.
ATM cave was fantastic, and a couple other caves I went through were also awesome (St. Hermann's, Rio Frio). (And I did other things, too.)
It was nice to see these via rental car because any organized day trips were all ~$100/person for any of the above. You have to use a tour & their guide for ATM -- no showing up on your own.
Vyvd likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.