Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Central America
Reload this Page >

Costa Rica Opens up - slowly

Old Jul 31, 20, 6:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler,Hyatt-Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Club Carlson, National-Exec.

I understand Govt. of Costa Rica is allowing 5 flights a week from EU, Germany and Canada. No US flights as of now.
It is really hard to find these flights, leave alone book a seat.
If anyone is on these flights going to CR as a tourist (not a resident, business, etc.) please let us know how was your experience. Were you able to get in OK and leave OK?
Thanks
Old Jul 31, 20, 6:55 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
If you are in Greensboro, NC, you will not be able to get on one of those flights. A US passport will still keep you out, unless you spend the 14 days immediately prior to your flight to Costa Rica in, say, Canada. You can't fly North Carolina-Canada-Costa Rica with a simple connection in Canada.

Visitors also need to present a negative COVID-19 test that was taken no more than 48 hours before arrival and purchase insurance upon arrival in Costa Rica that would cover any possible medical expenses.
Old Jul 31, 20, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler,Hyatt-Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Club Carlson, National-Exec.
Thanks for the clarification!

Originally Posted by SJOGuy View Post
If you are in Greensboro, NC, you will not be able to get on one of those flights. A US passport will still keep you out, unless you spend the 14 days immediately prior to your flight to Costa Rica in, say, Canada. You can't fly North Carolina-Canada-Costa Rica with a simple connection in Canada.

Visitors also need to present a negative COVID-19 test that was taken no more than 48 hours before arrival and purchase insurance upon arrival in Costa Rica that would cover any possible medical expenses.
Thank you so much for the clarification. I was not planning to fly to SJO just yet. I am a law abiding citizen and would not want to circumvent the system. I am certain sooner or later the US flights will be allowed. Once that starts I might consider visiting CR again. But for right now, I am staying put with my mask on, keeping social distance and staying put.
Thanks for posting - I greatly appreciate your clarification.
Old Jul 31, 20, 2:49 pm

You're welcome. I wish it were better news. The list of permitted countries will be updated every two weeks. Nobody expects the US to be allowed in soon.
Old Aug 1, 20, 8:25 am

Programs: BAEC
We are coming to Costa Rica on Monday. I'll report back on the experience. Covid-19 test and results today then we leave EDI->LHR->MAD tomorrow and MAD->SJO (IB) on Monday.

A question here if anybody else is in the same situation. Has anybody tried to arrange the insurance with INS? The website gets to section 3 (Beneficiaries) then always returns us an "unknown error" response and cannot progress. INS have promised us a call back from someone bi-lingual (mi Espanol es demasiado malo por el telefono!) but it hasn't come yet. I was wondering if anybody has actually successfully navigated purchasing the INS insurance yet or at least is anybody else having these issues?

I would say we're the only ones mad enough to take the flight but J only has 1 seat left and Economy is filling up quickly too so presumably some other people are trying at least
Old Aug 1, 20, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by klakhav View Post
It is really hard to find these flights, leave alone book a seat.
IB6317 - Mon/Fri - MAD->SJO
LH518 - Wed/Sat - FRA->SJO

Both are bookable direct or through most agents. The IB6317 is also bookable on BA trips - it showed up on ITA Matrix but had to book via telephone.
Old Aug 1, 20, 11:35 am

Definitely report back, guytp. The Iberia flight you're on will be the first flight allowed back.

You might have to buy the INS insurance on the spot when you arrive. It was announced yesterday that acceptance of foreign insurances is "under review."

Where do you plan to go? There's a lot that still is not open or, if open, has restricted hours. Do you plan to rent a car? There will be days of the week when you cannot drive, depending on the last digit of the license plate. There are locations under driving curfews at night, when all vehicles must be off the road.
Old Aug 1, 20, 1:20 pm

We are moving over. We were due to be on the last flight in on Mar 18 but cancelled due to uncertainties so are excited to be on the first in row 1 i think that means other than cabin crew/pilots we'll be the closest tourists to the terminal in several months when we land!

We've managed to find a broker for INS and seems as though their website doesn't work with dependencies but if you create a policy per person it seems OK. If anybody else has this problem hope this helps!

Not cheap at $1,300 for a family of three but considering infection rates and cost of treatment I think that's reasonably fair and a better option than not coming in at all.

We're going to Guanacaste in a yellow-zone. The plan is for a permanent move and our rentista visa application will go in on September 18th if processing restarts. The plan isn't so much to do touristy things but very much just to live - our main concerns are looking at some plots of land for a small finca to start with. Driving late at night isn't at an issue - I don't think I've ever driven after 6pm in Costa Rica anyway. I have seen that tourist rental cars are exempt from the number plate restrictions though in latest guidance for August - we've got a rental for a few months until we can purchase.

So excited to be coming back and glad we're welcome from the UK. We'd already decided we'd temporarily travel elsewhere in the world if needed to come in so having to only go to Spain is making it easier.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: