Reload this Page >

Costa Rica Opens up - slowly

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Costa Rica Opens up - slowly

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2021, 1:58 pm

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
Originally Posted by ANC RED-EYE
Any reports back on experiences? I was also wondering about "self-insurance" for the $2K quarantine requirement. Although I am guessing that if that were allowed, they would have said so. Also, not sure if you are US based, but my impression from having looked into this previously was that most US-based health insurance doesn't actually cover any costs abroad. Certainly YMMV.
Like Susie mentioned in the above response I also found Trawick and the insurance for a single person was ~$45. This is much lower than what I was quoted previously and makes it dumb not to just buy it. I assume that between my personal insurance and this policy I'll have no issues.

I have just started planning for a long term stay again, but was hoping for accelerated vaccine rollout to put an end to some of the requirements. Guess I'll just plan accordingly when it comes to my return date and getting tested.
Old Feb 2, 2021, 11:00 pm
Suspended

The requirement for the $2000 cover for accommodation expenses is difficult to get around. When I flew to Costa Rica I already had excellent medical cover but it didn't cover quarantine accommodation. The fact that I had $2000 in my pocket was neither here nor there. It had to be an insurance policy for that $2000. I ended up paying about $300 for an extra policy through the government owned insurance. You just have to do it if you want to go there. You have to see it as just another tax.
ANC RED-EYE likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2021, 3:13 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by susiesan
I just returned from 10 days in Costa Rica. I purchased a policy from Trawick to cover us, 71 and 66 years old. I put $500 in the trip cost amount. The premium was $92 for two. I did not need to use the insurance.

We had a wonderful time. None of the hotels we stayed at had more than 20% occupancy so we got excellent service everywhere. Many of our activities ended up being private tours since it was just the 2 of us signed up. restaurants are open but not crowded. It is very safe, everyone is constantly cleaning and spraying sanitizer. The only glitch came with the covid test which we got in Quepos at Hospital Metropolitan clinic, $111 each for the test. After not receiving results for 48 hours which was promised, I had hotel reception call and find out what was going on. First they said they had no record of us being tested. After hours of calls gong back and forth and the calls being escalated to a manager we got our results emailed at 50 hours from the time of testing. Do not wait until the last minute to get tested to return. Costa Rica hasn't got it quite figured out yet and they only do PCR tests now, not antigen so it takes longer to process.

I highly recommend going to Costa Rica now while the crowds are down and the people so friendly.
Thanks for reporting back your experience. I was wondering how well they were handling the testing and this helps.
Old May 28, 2021, 12:07 am

Programs: UA Gold, BONVOY TIT
So I've had to book a trip to Costa Rica due to a family emergency. My concern is for returning to the USA - it looks like a negative PCR test is required regardless of vaccination status. I'll bring my vax card in case the rules change while I am there. Any reliable options to get a result in 24-48 hours to meet the US requirement? I'd be departing out of SJO and am willing to get to San Jose a couple days in advance if needed. During my stay there I'll be fairly rural (near Uvita) but can depart early for SJO.
Old May 28, 2021, 4:34 am

Programs: bits of shiny plastic w/ varied utility
SJO has a lab open 24/7. Pura vida mae!

https://ticotimes.net/2021/05/24/cov...ricas-airports
Old May 28, 2021, 5:26 am

Originally Posted by rdurlabhji
So I've had to book a trip to Costa Rica due to a family emergency. My concern is for returning to the USA - it looks like a negative PCR test is required regardless of vaccination status. I'll bring my vax card in case the rules change while I am there. Any reliable options to get a result in 24-48 hours to meet the US requirement? I'd be departing out of SJO and am willing to get to San Jose a couple days in advance if needed. During my stay there I'll be fairly rural (near Uvita) but can depart early for SJO.
There are many options even in Uvita. The last two trips I went to Quepos. Best value right now is the Hospital Metropolitano at the marina in Qeupos because they ahve the antigen rapid test for about half the cost of the PCR test. You NEED any appointment well in advance for this.

1. Dr. Ale Ponce - makes house calls for Covid testing in Uvita, WhatsApp him at +506 8730 3208. Set up an appointment for 72 hours prior to your flight. You will complete the forms during the appointment, $150
2. Uvita/Dra. Miriam Vargas - office located above Gollo across from BCR Bank, WhatsApp her at + 506 8750-9118 to set an appointment. $180.
3. Quepos/Manuel Antonio (45 minutes north of Uvita) - Hospital Metropolitano (https://www.metropolitanocr.com/contactenos) (make appt for cheaper antigen test)
4. Quepos/Manuel Antonio - Quepos Urgent Care, https://www.facebook.com/CentroMedicoQuepos
atsak likes this.
Old May 28, 2021, 12:16 pm

Thank you both for the information!
Old May 29, 2021, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rdurlabhji
Antigen test is also acceptable.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by 24.05.2004

I booked an antigen test for my return. Thanks again for the info.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 6:08 pm

I'm departing on a 6:05 AM flight from SJO this Sunday. Any idea what time I need to be at the airport? My hotel (Airport CY) has a 4 AM shuttle which I think should suffice.
Old Jun 12, 2021, 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by 24.05.2004

I used the testing at SJO today. It was pretty painless - my Uber dropped me off at the domestic terminal and it was a quick walk over. It is a big tent that is not air conditioned, so wear what you would outside. Test results were received in 30 minutes (antigen test). I reserved a time slot at 2 PM, but there was no issue with me taking my test at 1 PM. I got an Uber pickup at the site to my airport hotel for $3. For the pickup it keyed to something called "Aeris Holding Costa Rica" and the driver was able to find me. I'd suggest searching for this at the dropoff point as well. United accepted my test result and allowed OLCI.
Old Aug 3, 2021, 10:54 am

Programs: UA .5M, Vistana 1-Star owner
Question

We consider the Riu Palace Costa Rica in Carrillo (not the Guanacaste one) and check for recent testimonials about the resort's proclaimed top-in-nation COVID measures. A cousin who went to Nosara near Nicoya 10km north of Carrilo in February said doing everything outdoors was doable which will help lower infection likelihood.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 10:07 am

Is it true that you can't take a 2nd test if the first test came out positive according to this article? https://www.kxly.com/were-not-sick-b...of-costa-rica/
Old Aug 10, 2021, 11:51 am

Quick report on immigration wait times after landing at SJO. Recently flew in with a bunch of friends arriving at various times throughout the day.

Early morning (6:30am): Zero lines
Noon: 2+ hours to get through immigration
Evening (5-7pm): Zero lines

The guy who landed at noon said that the lines were backed up from the immigration area down into the hallways. Once inside the main area it was total chaos with lots of line cutting and zero regulation.

If you have the flexibility in terms of flight selection, I would try to avoid anything arriving in the late morning to early afternoon. Sounded like a major hassle and not the way you’d want to start off your trip.

Sidenote: If you are staying at an AirBnb or similar lodging as opposed to a major hotel, have the full address ready to show. They’ll ask for it.
calville likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 8:15 am

Does anyone have experience or info for a VIP Meet and Greet Service with expedited immigration at SJO?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.