Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Central America
Reload this Page >

Costa Rica Opens up - slowly

Costa Rica Opens up - slowly

Old Aug 31, 20, 8:17 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
MD, DC, and VA are on the allowed list as of Sept. 1. I don't know when Southwest plans to resume service. United's flights from IAD were always seasonal, Dec. through Apr. You can connect somewhere. That's permitted.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Sep 2, 20, 12:27 pm

Programs: bits of shiny plastic w/ varied utility
You can (sorta) keep updated on flights on this (sorta) updated SJO airport page:

https://sjoairport.com/en/reporte-operaciones/

WN isn't expected back until 2021. AA actually has flights scheduled next week but they've been doing that since late July -- they usually disappear in the weekend sched changes.

Read somewhere that connecting flights for residents from the "approved states" are now authorized -- less than 6 hours connection and no leaving the airport. Might help AA/B6 to build service back from MIA/FLL.

Bienvenidos familia guytp 👋

Last edited by 24.05.2004; Sep 2, 20 at 12:34 pm
Old Sep 8, 20, 12:30 pm

We are moving to Costa Rica in October. We live in an authorized state (Colorado) but are curious if it is possible to catch a flight from an unauthorized state (i.e. Illinois) because we will go there to drop off our car with my parents before leaving the U.S. The flight from Chicago connects through Houston, but does not leave the airport. So my question is if it is OK that a flight originates from a non-authorized U.S. state as long as you have a drivers license from an authorized state? Also, can you take the coronavirus test in an unauthorized state or does it have to be taken from one of the approved U.S. states? Thank you for your help in advance!
Old Sep 8, 20, 3:06 pm

How's your Spanish BGrant ?

I think by the "spirit" of the law, this is a violation. The idea is to eliminate those places with "high" infection rates.

Having said that, an acquaintance who lives most of her time in Florida but still has her NJ driver's license arrived without problem connecting TPA-IAH-SJO. All immigration wanted was passport/license/proof of insurance.

YMMV
Old Sep 8, 20, 5:34 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
The way the law reads, you could connect at ORD, but you can't originate there.
Old Sep 10, 20, 1:07 pm

FYI you can now upload your insurance info and state I'D proof when you are completing the health questionnaire. Should make for a faster exit but being the documents "just in case"
Old Sep 11, 20, 2:25 pm

Programs: Avianca LifeMiles. Hilton Gold, Meliá Gold, Radisson Gold. National Exec Elite, Hertz PC.
JetBlue announces new LAX-SJO and LAX-LIR non stop services starting on november. Resumes operations from JFK, MCO, and FLL on october:

https://ticotimes.net/2020/09/10/jet...-to-costa-rica
Old Sep 15, 20, 7:04 am

Programs: BAGold
Hi everyone on this Flyertalk CR forum, hope you are all well.

After a tough time at home, I'm hoping to get 10 days off and get to Costa Rica, more specifically to the Uvita area for whales and rest. I guess the Whale festival is not operating this year? My question is, flying from Europe (I'm a European), how should I do the trip - is it possible to transit through the US without any trouble (for a European)? I'm not clear how the US is handling transit at the moment for Europeans.
Are there any European countries that fly direct to CR?
thank you for any help, much appreciated.
Old Sep 16, 20, 6:44 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by BGrant View Post
We are moving to Costa Rica in October. We live in an authorized state (Colorado) but are curious if it is possible to catch a flight from an unauthorized state (i.e. Illinois) because we will go there to drop off our car with my parents before leaving the U.S. The flight from Chicago connects through Houston, but does not leave the airport. So my question is if it is OK that a flight originates from a non-authorized U.S. state as long as you have a drivers license from an authorized state? Also, can you take the coronavirus test in an unauthorized state or does it have to be taken from one of the approved U.S. states? Thank you for your help in advance!
It depends on the interpretation. The rules state: "Tourists from authorized states may enter the country even if their route includes a stop at a destination that is not authorized, as long as they do not leave the transit airport.". There are also rules that suggest you should be in an authorised location for 14 days prior to departure. I think the scenario that the unauthorized state transit is for would more likely be some kind of routing like Colorado->IL->JFK->SJO - i.e. a transit through an unauthorised state on a through ticket. There are no requirements on which states to get Covid-19 test in but it's probably advisable to not get it in an authorized state just incase.

Reality is you'd probably be fine but personally I wouldn't risk it - especially if you want to move here. We did everything completely by the book as the last thing we wanted to do was risk a negative marker against future visits and residency applications.
24.05.2004 likes this.
Old Sep 16, 20, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by Winnie1 View Post
is it possible to transit through the US without any trouble (for a European)?
You can only go to USA from EU if you fit into certain categories (i.e. resident there / national / certain visa categories) - not just transiting on a holiday. You could also do it if you spent 2 weeks outside the EU first in a neutral third country.

Originally Posted by Winnie1 View Post
Are there any European countries that fly direct to CR?
Yes - Madrid (Iberia), Frankfurt (Lufthansa).

KLM (Amsterdam), Edelweis (Zurich) and BA (London) all start (at the moment) end of October... I wouldn't rule out cancellations from those 3 though.

Last edited by guytp; Sep 16, 20 at 6:50 am Reason: Typo
Old Sep 16, 20, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by 24.05.2004 View Post
You can (sorta) keep updated on flights on this (sorta) updated SJO airport page:Bienvenidos familia guytp 👋
¡Gracias! Somos muy agradecidas estar aqui.
24.05.2004 likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: