Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Central America
Reload this Page >

Costa Rica Tourism question - Coronavirus effect

Old Mar 15, 20, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler,Hyatt-Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Club Carlson, National-Exec.

We are family and are thinking of taking our Spring Break vacation (early April) in Costa Rica. With all the flight cancellations, not surw what the travel situation looks like in Costa Rica. Can someone doen there in San Jose, comment on hotels and transportation and if there are any effects of Coronavirus.

Thank you
Old Mar 15, 20, 3:08 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
The first Costa Rican case was announced only nine days ago, and now the number is 35. Schools are closed. Bars and nightspots are closed. Restaurants can stay open, but only at 50% capacity. Once they reach that level, no one else can enter.

My advice is to stay away. It's too risky, not knowing what the situation will be in three to four weeks. Now, I bet you could find some great deals as people cancel their trips, but at what risk to you? Will your flights be cancelled? Will borders be closed? Will you be able to get home? Will you be quarantined when you get home? Why chance any of this? And it's not just the risk to you. It's about staying put as best we can and not becoming an unwitting source of transmission and putting others at risk.

Far be it from me to tell someone not to come to Costa Rica, but there's no good reason to make this trip right now, and there are plenty of bad ones. Save it for another time when you won't have so many unknowns to contend with. It's a fun place to visit (maybe not right now) and a gorgeous country. It'll still be here when this is all over.
Old Mar 16, 20, 7:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler,Hyatt-Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Club Carlson, National-Exec.
Thank you!

Originally Posted by SJOGuy View Post
The first Costa Rican case was announced only nine days ago, and now the number is 35. Schools are closed. Bars and nightspots are closed. Restaurants can stay open, but only at 50% capacity. Once they reach that level, no one else can enter.

My advice is to stay away. It's too risky, not knowing what the situation will be in three to four weeks. Now, I bet you could find some great deals as people cancel their trips, but at what risk to you? Will your flights be cancelled? Will borders be closed? Will you be able to get home? Will you be quarantined when you get home? Why chance any of this? And it's not just the risk to you. It's about staying put as best we can and not becoming an unwitting source of transmission and putting others at risk.

Far be it from me to tell someone not to come to Costa Rica, but there's no good reason to make this trip right now, and there are plenty of bad ones. Save it for another time when you won't have so many unknowns to contend with. It's a fun place to visit (maybe not right now) and a gorgeous country. It'll still be here when this is all over.
Thank you for this genuine advice. You are a wise man! Stay safe in SJO!
Old Mar 16, 20, 9:35 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Plan the trip for another time. A vacation should be a fun, carefree time without worries like these hanging over our heads.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: