Belize - Caye Caulker

Old Oct 27, 19, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

Belize - Caye Caulker

I am landing at BZE and then need to head to Caye Caulker. I read that there are lots of ferries daily (I'll be arriving mid day on a Friday), but can anyone recommend one in particular? Also, do I need to buy tickets in advance or I can just buy them there?

We are returning on a Sunday, and will need to leave Caye Caulker around noon in order to get to the airport on time. Are there plenty of ferries on Sunday as well?
Old Oct 27, 19, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: statusless these days
Why not fly if you are already at BZE?
Old Oct 28, 19, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach View Post
Why not fly if you are already at BZE?
Because the cheapest flights I could find for times that worked were ~$150 rt, while it seems ferries are usually around $15-$20 rt...

Seemed like it's also not a long ride into the city/ferry terminal. Is that correct?
Old Oct 31, 19, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: statusless these days
Never went into Belize City so I don't know. It's said to be a pretty dodgy place.
Old Nov 1, 19, 7:31 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
If you taxi right from the airport to the ferry terminal, you'll be fine.
Old Nov 6, 19, 5:12 am

Did this a few years ago. Agreed Belize city is sketchy so don’t hang around but taxi straight to ferry terminal and buy a ticket. No need to purchase in advance, they’ll get you out there.
Old Nov 6, 19, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Belize City is similar to many places in Central America. I never felt unsafe during the day. Even in the evening, using a taxi and going out I had no problems. As with any poorish country, don’t flaunt jewelry or valuables. Leave most cash and valuables in your hotel safety box if you’re going out.

The ferry was a fun experience. I don’t recall the name of it, but it was fairly quick and not expensive. Seeing locals take the trip was fun, too. I think they went every couple of hours, but I’m sure you could google a schedule.

I don’t think this is the company I used, but is the first google hit. 9 daytime trips a day starting at 8am. $28 roundtrip for adults.

http://www.belizewatertaxi.com/book-now

Search this Thread