FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Central America (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/central-america-479/)
-   -   Internet Across Central America (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/central-america/1990184-internet-across-central-america.html)

Calzach Oct 6, 2019 2:08 am

Internet Across Central America

Hello, am planning for a grand tour across Central America and Costa Rica is one of the destination that I might need to spend sometime. strenght in Coast Rica. My concern is the internet Am from Europe and I have been using a Pocket WiFi to remain connected. I usually opt for Skyroam or RentnConnect but I do understand that their data plan is not international. Can someone provide me with a better option.

ricktoronto Oct 7, 2019 11:21 pm

At SJO airport stop at the Kolbi booth and get a SIM card and data plan. Cheap. Next country repeat with Claro or Movistar. From a gas station or a store. Or airport arrivals area. Cheap. Don't believe their claims that prepaid cell will work in the next country. It won't at least not reliably.

keisari Oct 26, 2019 9:38 pm

Skyroam works well in Panama and El Salvador
$8 a day before discounts or coupons and you have 24 hours of unlimited internet for up to 5 devices.
Not sure about the other countries but you can check with skyroam

Getting a SIM card from Movistar in El Salvador is a lot cheaper.
Depends on whatever promotion they have you can get amazing deals.

ricktoronto Oct 30, 2019 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by keisari (Post 31669852)
Skyroam works well in Panama and El Salvador
$8 a day before discounts or coupons and you have 24 hours of unlimited internet for up to 5 devices.
Not sure about the other countries but you can check with skyroam

Getting a SIM card from Movistar in El Salvador is a lot cheaper.
Depends on whatever promotion they have you can get amazing deals.

$240 a month (equivalent) for internet? And don't you have to buy this device for $150 in advance? Too much money for a fiddly device not locally obtained. Just get a SIM card on arrival.

You can get internet for a month in any CA country for $10. I got a Kolbi/ICE SIM good for a month in San Jose with 2 GB of data which is more than enough with wifi and it cost CRC4,000 which is actually less than $8, good for a month vs. 24 hours. The same logic applies at airports in other CA countries. Or in some countries like Nicaragua you can buy a SIM at a gas station for $0.50 and add $5 of credit for internet for a week.

What you cannot rely on is when Claro and Movistar say you can roam in Nicaragua with your Costa Rican Claro or Movistar SIM or vice-versa. It's baloney. Dead as a smelt, that idea. You arrive to no service if you are not on postpaid and postpaid is not for tourist. Nor are orange dongles for $150 and eight smackers a day.