5.5 hour layover in PTY

Old Oct 3, 19, 2:13 am
Original Poster

5.5 hour layover in PTY

Hi,

I'm flying JFK-PTY-BZE on CM in J and have a 5.5 hour layver in PTY. I land there at 6:20am; do I have enough time to go see the canal quickly, and/or anything else?

While I'm at it - anyone have familiarity with the ferries in BZE getting to Caye Caulker?

Thanks!
Old Oct 3, 19, 7:12 am

Programs: UA Gold, CM nada
Many more responses to this question in the Copa ConnectMiles forum. I don't think this is possible. The problem is the traffic is really, really bad at that hour, especially the road to the Visitor's Center (unless it's a Sunday).

You could have a leisurely visit to the ruins at Panama Viejo, just 15 minutes down the highway.

On your return, with a ticket in J you should be able to use the *Gold immigration line at the north end of the terminal, which could save you a couple of minutes at immigration.
Old Oct 27, 19, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YadiMolina View Post
Many more responses to this question in the Copa ConnectMiles forum. I don't think this is possible. The problem is the traffic is really, really bad at that hour, especially the road to the Visitor's Center (unless it's a Sunday).

You could have a leisurely visit to the ruins at Panama Viejo, just 15 minutes down the highway.

On your return, with a ticket in J you should be able to use the *Gold immigration line at the north end of the terminal, which could save you a couple of minutes at immigration.
Thanks for this. I figured that would be the response just based on past readings in this forum. I'll probably do Panama Viejo for an hour or two. Do you know if there are taxis at Panama Viejo waiting to pick up tourists so I can easily go back to the airport?
Old Oct 27, 19, 8:58 pm

[QUOTE=pstm91;31672195Do you know if there are taxis at Panama Viejo waiting to pick up tourists so I can easily go back to the airport?[/QUOTE]
I would say "yes". If not, stand on the well-transited road with your hand out asking for "air port" at a passing taxi and you'll achieve your objective. Otherwise, an international data plan and Uber and you'll be all the more comfortable.
Old Oct 30, 19, 5:41 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum Ultimate / Accor Hotel Platinum
I had the same connection time 6 months ago and took the opportunity to visit Panama viejo.
very easy to catch a taxi there so you'll be fine

Enjoy your time there
pstm91 likes this.
Old Nov 20, 19, 7:37 pm
Original Poster

Quick report back on this for anyone who may be in a similar situation in the future: there are tons of taxis and it's very easy. However, traffic was even worse than I thought it would be. What could be a 15 minute taxi ride to Panama Viejo was close to an hour. The highway towards the city was a parking lot, and that started only ~10 minutes or so from the airport.

Once we were through the traffic it is very easy to walk around the park/ruins (the actual museum opens at 8:30am).

Drive back to the airport was very quick and only took ~15 minutes. Rush hour towards the city was still going strong (literal parking lot on the highway) around 10:00am.
Old Nov 25, 19, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by pstm91 View Post
Quick report back on this for anyone who may be in a similar situation in the future
How were you treated at immigration leaving and entering the airport? Any questions or comments? Were the agents aware of your quick entry/exit? Was there any mention of any taxes?
Old Nov 30, 19, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YadiMolina View Post
How were you treated at immigration leaving and entering the airport? Any questions or comments? Were the agents aware of your quick entry/exit? Was there any mention of any taxes?
I was one of the first 5 people through immigration. The lady was a little confused by it but I just explained I wanted to see Panama Viejo and she kind of laughed and said "okay, well be quick". The customs agent who took my card also thought it was weird but didn't say anything. No one said anything about taxes. All in all it was seamless (big note - the only reason it was seamless was because of traveling in J and being through immigration so quickly. Another flight landed directly after us and the line was crazy very quickly, which probably would have put me off from venturing out).

Search this Thread