Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Central America
Reload this Page >

GIG-PTY: Over 60s Exempt from Yellow Fever Vaccination Requirement?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2019, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold

Another geezer couple and we are disembarking from a transatlantic cruise in Rio de Janeiro this December and planning to fly GIG-PTY on Copa to stay for a couple of days before flying home. Copa’s website states that travelers over 60 are exempt from the requirement to show proof of yellow fever vaccination on that route.

So far I can’t find any official confirmation of this despite several hours hunched over my keyboard. The most recent FT discussion here is some months old and makes no mention of exemptions.

Having read along the way one or two horror stories of passengers being turned back, or stranded within a country over the vaccination issue, I’m wondering if anybody can point me toward official word on this from the Panamanian government.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 2:48 pm
Community Director Emerita

I am intrigued by your question so spent some minutes poking at it. I can't find any over 60 exception. This website was updated this month and is consistent with what I read on other websites.

https://www.iamat.org/country/panama/risk/yellow-fever

However, if you have ever had yellow fever vaccination and can show evidence of it, it is now considered lifetime protection.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I am intrigued by your question so spent some minutes poking at it. I can't find any over 60 exception. This website was updated this month and is consistent with what I read on other websites.

https://www.iamat.org/country/panama/risk/yellow-fever

However, if you have ever had yellow fever vaccination and can show evidence of it, it is now considered lifetime protection.
Thanks, Carol! I did run across that but I'm likewise intrigued by the age exemption that I've found in a few odd places in addition to the Copa website here. No, none of us have had yellow fever vaccinations.

I've also read a number of sources from various countries advising of the small but significant risks of the substitute French vaccine (the US-approved vaccine is currently unavailable) to those over 60. Given that we're overnighting on the ship in Rio, then flying out the next day, our exposure will be limited and our preference is to avoid it.

I've sent email queries both to the US Embassy in Panama City, and the Panamanian Embassy in Washington DC. If I get any definitive answer, I'll report back.

Cheers,
Brian
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fredd
I've sent email queries both to the US Embassy in Panama City, and the Panamanian Embassy in Washington DC. If I get any definitive answer, I'll report back.
It took most of a week, even with the miracle named email.

Condor wrote back via Facebook Messenger that over 60s could enter without a vaccination. The US Embassy in Panama replied with an article about yellow fever written in Spanish that didn't answer my question.

The Panamanian Embassy in Washington DC sent me three replies that were somewhat contradictory. I will take the third reply received minutes ago as definitive, print it, and carry it along with my vaccination exemption certificate:

Dear Fredd,

Thank you for contacting the Consulate of Panama in Washington, D.C.

Regarding your question, a traveler over the age of 60 may enter Panama from Brazil without a yellow fever vaccination with a certification from his/her doctor staying that they cannot put [sic] them the vaccination due to their age.

Should you have any further questions from our end, feel free to contact us.
SanDiego1K likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.