Uber issues at SJO (Costa Rica) Airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2019, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler,Hyatt-Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Club Carlson, National-Exec.

Arrived at SJO last week, late in the evening and summoned an Uber. In the past, they used to meet lower level by the restaurant but this time, I got a message to meet upstairs by second crosswalk. Anyone else has experienced this?

When I got upsgtairs, I asked someone where was the second crosswalk and did not realize he was police. He said, it is over there and Uber is illegal in Costa Rica. Again, has anyone else heard of this?

Uber needs to do a better job of getting proper permits and working through the Costa Rican red tape.

I finally found my Uber ride. The lady was close to the first crosswalk and was clueless. Thankfully, the ride was just fine!
robtemt likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 8:02 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Was the message from Uber (i.e. pickup instructions) or from the driver themselves?
Old Sep 12, 2019, 10:35 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Technically, Uber is illegal in Costa Rica. It has not gone through the proper procedures to get permits to operate. Uber does operate, but you're going to run into problems at visible places like the airport. But really, only the official orange airport taxis are allowed down on the lower level. Private cars and even the standard red taxis can't wait down there either.
robtemt likes this.

Last edited by SJOGuy; Sep 12, 2019 at 10:48 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.