FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Central America (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/central-america-479/)
-   -   Best Hotel in Panama City (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/central-america/1958418-best-hotel-panama-city.html)

craz Feb 27, 19 10:33 am

Best Hotel in Panama City

A friend is heading down for 5 nights, and asked me what the best hotel to stay at was, I told him I have no idea but I know where to find out

He isnt interested in staying at a resort outside of the city, and will be doing a bunch of day tours to places outside the City, but for reasons needs and wants to stay in PC. Lounge access or free breakfasts arent important, earning stay credit or points not important as well. Important are large rooms and place is upscale (he prefers not to go to The W since he was told its like spring break all the time and is anything but quiet) tia

YadiMolina Feb 27, 19 9:17 pm

I suggest he check out the JW Marriott--the former Trump--and the Sortis (also a Marriott). Also Hotel Bristol Panama.

keisari Feb 28, 19 9:14 pm

I spent 3 nights at the Waldorf Astoria in the city center.
The views are lacking (obstructed water views at best) but the service is excellent, breakfast service is very nice (the eggs are superb), the pool is very nice and the rooms are large with nicely appointed bathrooms. I would totally stay there again.
https://waldorfastoria3.hilton.com/e...PWA/index.html

craz Mar 1, 19 11:45 am

Thx guys, they ended up KOing the JW since it was way out from the places they wanted to go to(walking). They loved the pics of The Bristol but went with The Waldorf when Amex told them it was the only hotel in PTY in FHR (or whatever the letters are) where they get benefits w/o any status, it was also slightly closer to where they wanted to walk. Yea Uber is dirt cheap but treaffic doesnt always work with your plans

keisari Mar 1, 19 4:12 pm

I guess Amex gives them the benefits of Fine Hotel and Resorts with The Waldorf. The breakfast and an upgraded room would be very nice
I am glad they chose the Waldorf Astoria. I think they will enjoy it.

flyme2 Jun 20, 19 9:49 pm

I wouldn't consider the Waldorf to be the best hotel in the city. While service is exemplary, and the FHR recognition is excellent, there are some things that miss the target. F&B is weak. Brio is open only for breakfast, and they will soon be downsizing the restaurant space to create meeting rooms in an effort to boost revenue that Brio has not been able to provide. The junior suites, while attractively decorated, are smaller than their counterparts at the Hilton, and have no views to speak of. The condo units are larger, and the higher units can have a slightly better overall view of the cityscape. There is also a prevailing odour of mold and mildew that wafts through the public areas that is decidedly unpleasant. Thankfully, it does not make its way into the rooms, at least not those that I've occupied. There is no Executive Lounge, as at the Hilton. I do not like the small pool. It's much the same layout as at Le Meridien, but its sickly green colour and lack of views make it decidedly unappealing to me. The Hilton pool is larger and the deck area is far superior, and has views overlooking the sea. I wouldn't regard the Hilton as a contender for the best, and the JW seems to still be having teething issues since rebranding from Bahia and Trump. I've never stayed at the Bristol, but friends who did regarded it quite swell. The Bristol participates in Virtuoso at a slightly higher premium to the Waldorf, either with Virtuoso or FHR.

craz Jun 21, 19 9:12 am

Originally Posted by flyme2 (Post 31224443)
I wouldn't consider the Waldorf to be the best hotel in the city. While service is exemplary, and the FHR recognition is excellent, there are some things that miss the target. F&B is weak. Brio is open only for breakfast, and they will soon be downsizing the restaurant space to create meeting rooms in an effort to boost revenue that Brio has not been able to provide. The junior suites, while attractively decorated, are smaller than their counterparts at the Hilton, and have no views to speak of. The condo units are larger, and the higher units can have a slightly better overall view of the cityscape. There is also a prevailing odour of mold and mildew that wafts through the public areas that is decidedly unpleasant. Thankfully, it does not make its way into the rooms, at least not those that I've occupied. There is no Executive Lounge, as at the Hilton. I do not like the small pool. It's much the same layout as at Le Meridien, but its sickly green colour and lack of views make it decidedly unappealing to me. The Hilton pool is larger and the deck area is far superior, and has views overlooking the sea. I wouldn't regard the Hilton as a contender for the best, and the JW seems to still be having teething issues since rebranding from Bahia and Trump. I've never stayed at the Bristol, but friends who did regarded it quite swell. The Bristol participates in Virtuoso at a slightly higher premium to the Waldorf, either with Virtuoso or FHR.

OP here, ends up my friends actually agreed with you, although its not great location wise for what they want, they said it will be the JWM the next time they head down. I cant comment since I havent been down there yet at least overnight. But they indeed were disappointed in the WA and expected alot more from her