Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Central America
Reload this Page >

Is immediate turnaround in SJO possible?

Old Oct 18, 18, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Looking at possible last minute MR on AS that would requite 1 hr turnaround in SJO - is it possible? I assume i can get return boarding pass ahead of time and it is the same plane going back but i am not sure if arriving pax are forced through immi security etc...
Old Oct 18, 18, 3:02 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
You can do an international-to-international transit at SJO and reclear security before you arrive at passport control. You are then released back into the gate area. Whether Costa Rica considers what you're doing "transit" or not is another question. I don't know. That transit security room doesn't appear to be staffed all the time, so I take it the airline has to inform the airport that a passenger will be using it. I'd also want a guarantee from AS that it can issue you your return boarding pass ahead of time.
Old Oct 23, 18, 9:45 pm

Programs: Avianca LifeMiles. Hilton Gold, Meliá Gold, Radisson Gold. National Exec Elite, Hertz PC.
I second SJOguy. There is a security checkpoint for transit passengers, I see the move as possible.
Old Oct 25, 18, 7:11 am

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
The problem is that the connecting room is not always open, it's mainly staffed for CM and AV flights.

I think it's doable with or without the room really. If you manage to get a seat towards the front of the plane, and you make a run for it, you can clear customs ahead of everyone. Costa Rican customs without the lines take like 10 minutes. Just explain you're turning back around, they'll likely not care or look confused. Then head out curbside, go up stairs, go straight towards security which hopefully has little people and make it to your gates. I've had it take maybe 15 mins in the last couple of flights. It's a rather small airport.
Old Oct 25, 18, 4:37 pm

Around the time SJO built the transfer facility, Avianca mostly de-hubbed the airport. The connecting room is rarely open at all. I always assumed the airline let the airport know if connecting passengers would be passing through.

Redwood's advice might work, but it might be risky too. SJO is a smallish airport that doesn't have the space for all the passengers it serves. Immigration and security can be a madhouse at certain times of day. We'll see if the government's announced plan to build a bigger airport about 30 miles west of the present one ever comes to pass. They've suggested 2025.
Old Oct 26, 18, 7:51 am

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
Originally Posted by SJOGuy View Post
Around the time SJO built the transfer facility, Avianca mostly de-hubbed the airport. The connecting room is rarely open at all. I always assumed the airline let the airport know if connecting passengers would be passing through.

Redwood's advice might work, but it might be risky too. SJO is a smallish airport that doesn't have the space for all the passengers it serves. Immigration and security can be a madhouse at certain times of day. We'll see if the government's announced plan to build a bigger airport about 30 miles west of the present one ever comes to pass. They've suggested 2025.
I say 2045 and at this rate, a statue of Fabricio Alvarado out front. *sigh*
Old Nov 1, 18, 10:35 am

Programs: UA Million Miler,Hyatt-Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Club Carlson, National-Exec.
Can be done. Just walk towards Transit instead of customs and immigration.
Thanks
Old Nov 5, 18, 7:49 pm

Has it been established that this can be done without clearing immigration? I don't have confidence that the answer a definite YES. Will AS expect you to enter the boarding area through regular security? Will anyone even be in the transit hall? SJO built the transit facility for transferring passengers, then Avianca "dehubbed" the airport. I look in when I walk by. There's rarely anybody in there to screen you.

I wouldn't attempt this without discussing with your airline in advance.

Search this Thread