Reload this Page >

Day Trips from San Jose, Costa Rica

Old Sep 21, 18, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Who Cares, THEY don't !

HI

Does any one has a recommendation for Day trip (8 AM- 6PM) In / Around San Jose in Late Sep?

Single Male, agile and can walk / Hike. Prefer a self tour or Guided one if its not too expensive.

Staying near Escazu Business Park. Prefer something of local flavour & Nature. Not in to Museums.

Thanks in Advance.
Old Sep 21, 18, 9:32 pm

Hi!! Try to visit Irazu and Cartago.
Old Sep 22, 18, 2:51 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
I like Cartago and Irazu, but they're in the opposite direction (east) in the Central Valley from where you'll be. In the western part of the valley are:

Poas Volcano.(NW of Alajuela) - You can get up on a platform and peer inside the smoldering crater. It's very cool. The park has a great visitors' center and some hiking opportunities. Poas is a little better set up for visitors than Irazu (also a volcano) is.

Doka Estate Coffee Tour (near Alajuela) or Cafe Britt Coffee Tour (near Heredia) - Either is interesting if you like coffee. The Britt tour is a little on the cheesy side, but both are well done and informative.

Will you be getting to these places on your own? Many area tour operators offer a combo tour, with Poas in the morning (the summit clouds over by late morning, especially this time of year) and one of the coffee tours in the afternoon.

Doka:

www.dokaestate.com

Britt:

www.coffeetour.com
Old Sep 25, 18, 5:43 pm

You are right. Poas volcano is also a mus visit in Costa Rica!!
Old Sep 28, 18, 11:18 pm

Check out Yoplan page, I found there local guides for my next trip to CR
Old Oct 2, 18, 10:13 pm

check out the yoplan.com page, there you can find a local to show you a several places importants to meet
or go use the TripAdvisor app to see the best rated places
Old Oct 4, 18, 10:54 am

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
Go to Poas Volcano, it recently re-opened but you can only buy tickets online which is simple enough.

I work at Avenida Escazu (no idea where that Escazu business park is) and if I can be of any help to get you on your way let me know.
Old Oct 9, 18, 10:42 pm

Contact Yoplan.com and they'll give you many options to visit in Costa Rica
Old Nov 8, 18, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, WS Gold, Marriott Silver, SPG Silver, Radisson Gold
Your hotel will have 1/2 day and 1 day tour options. I did some through Alejuela then to the volcano, completely shrouded in clouds, then the coffee estate and finally a nature preserve with waterfalls. Around US$100-120 IIRC.

The pickup you wait for at your hotel then they use a fairly dumb algorithm to go back so I stopped the van where there were taxis when we were going to pass the road to Pavas a second time and took a taxi back and saved an hour at least.
Old Nov 18, 18, 7:45 am

Maybe you can find something to do in Yoplan.com page, just for look the activities or visit other pages like Lonely Planet or Los viajeros to find someone that can travel with you.