Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Central America
Reload this Page >

Costa Rica - Sansa Air/Nature Air baggage restrictions

Old Feb 18, 18, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Ex Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver

Hi;

The Sansa baggage limits are 30lbs, 45 linear inches for one checked bag and 10 lbs., 20 linear inches for carryon.
Nature air baggage limits are 30lbs, 50 linear inches for one checked bag and 10 lbs.. 33 linear inches for carryon.

My Briggs Baseline large Baseline checked luggage is 58.5 linear inches and would be way over 30 lbs. 20 linear inches limit for carryon seems to mean just a tote.

My big concern is that both Nature and Sansa say excess bags are subject to space availability and might be put on a later flight, and I"m responsible for collecting it. So that would mean doubling back from Manuel Antonio to Quepas (I suppose not that big a deal, 15 minutes from my hotel) or from the Andaz to Liberia (35 minutes each way). So on flights from Arenal to Quepos on Nature Air or Quepos to Liberia on Sansa, is it a real possibility that if I"m over limit, my bag won't be on my flight? Which might be on the next day from Arenal to Quepos.

If that isn't a real concern, or to minimize the issue, is going bigger with my Briggs Riley large as a checked bag and paying the excess better or worse than bringing a second carryon as an extra bag? (Paying excess baggage fees in both cases).

Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 18, 18, 7:27 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
It could sneak by, but it's a very real possibility that your bag won't travel with you. You need to prepare for that.

Originally Posted by beachfan View Post
or to minimize the issue,
The other workaround is to comply with the limits. It's not hard to do.
Old Feb 19, 18, 12:48 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Here’s my take: leave your bag(s) in San José (hotel left luggage?) and use a soft bag or small duffel for your clothing, etc. You won’t need so much at the coast, and local laundering or washing in your bathroom will help. (And do take insect repellent if you don’t want to be dinner at dusk for the “purujas”, no-see-ums that can be pesky and provide weeks of itching if you have no antibodies because yiu haven’t been there before.)
Old Feb 19, 18, 4:37 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
Here’s my take: leave your bag(s) in San José (hotel left luggage?)
As a guidebook writer to Costa Rica, I always used to give this advice. I qualify it these days because many San Jose-area hotels no longer will store bags. They don't want the responsibility. All you can do is contact the hotel in advance and ask if it's a possibility. Some will; some won't.

Last edited by SJOGuy; Feb 19, 18 at 4:45 pm
Old Feb 19, 18, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Ex Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Great idea, but I'm going into San Jose and out of Liberia.

It turns out that my flight with Nature Air was cancelled and I'm now doing Arenal to Manuel Antonio by van. At least that will eliminate some of my baggage issues, and by the time I take Sansa, we'll have used up some of the stuff we are taking (sunscreen, Repel) and if I bring some "disposible" clothes for the hiking (old T shirts that I don't love, etc), I'll be able to make everything work.

But thanks to this forum, I won't even try bringing more than 30 lbs. checked and 10 carryon.

Search this Thread