Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need help for a terminally ill mother...late new year's travel plans

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2017, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Need help for a terminally ill mother...late new year's travel plans

I'm the brother of a terminally ill sister with cancer who has three kids 13 and under. As hard as it is for me to type this, it is likely this is her last new years and as long as her health holds up, she decided she wants to go someplace special with her three kids (another family will join, as will I with my little kids, total 3 families). I feel like it's late to plan for such a trip, and I have no idea what 'special' is but cannot mess this up, leading to this desperate thread.

what i know my sister wants:
* beautiful beach/water. she loves loves loves the caribbean beaches, but given the hurricanes, probably more limited than normal. implied is warm weather to enjoy the waters of course.
* something to do for the kids besides just beach. When the kids are happy she's happy, and the kids won't tolerate a week literally at the beach.
* money is secondary due to the circumstances, but I called one fancy resort drivable from Cancun that for new years eve night alone wanted $2700 per room which was too much.

Some brainstorm ideas we came up with included Columbia (cool jungles?), the upscale resorts drivable from Cancun Mexico (Maya culture, cave swimming), Argentina (culture, views?), and Turks & Caicos (mostly water), but open to anywhere. Fiji was deemed too far and mostly beach that can be had in caribbean, Dubai was simply not desired by the other family included.

Would depart after Christmas/before New Years for a week, from midwest and east coast.

Any locations, and specific resorts I could try that could be available for 3 families, would be much appreciated. We'll likely need to book something this week (of Nov. 13th).

Thank you in advance, best.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 12:50 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
So sorry about your sister. I am sure it must be a tough time for the entire family.

With regards to a suitable destination, have you considered Costa Rica? I have been to many places in Central and South America, but not Costa Rica. However, many friends with kids have gone there and really enjoyed it. I believe there are lots of outdoor activities in addition to the beaches.

Good luck with planning this family trip!
Old Nov 14, 2017, 8:47 pm

Programs: UA
San Andres, Colombia

Bocas del Toro, Panama

Punta Cana, Republica Dominicana
Old Nov 14, 2017, 9:50 pm

Programs: Avianca LifeMiles. Hilton (G), Meliá (G), Radisson (G). National Car (EE), Hertz (PC), Avis (PC)
What about a cruise in the Caribbean? Convenient, good service, visit several places, all that at great value, and packing/unpacking once.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 8:55 pm
Original Poster

will research costa rica....but YadiMolina's suggestions of san andres and bocas del Toro, wow! look phenomenal. getting there and also finding a place through new years is a different story but will look some more.

Anyone been to mayakoba in riviera maya, mexico? also looks great, and though pricey, have availability at some of the resorts.

And of course thank you for the kind words of support with my sister. We're going to live it up as much as we can!
Old Nov 18, 2017, 9:18 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, UA Gold (status match)
Originally Posted by gmanbox
will research costa rica....but YadiMolina's suggestions of san andres and bocas del Toro, wow! look phenomenal. getting there and also finding a place through new years is a different story but will look some more.

Anyone been to mayakoba in riviera maya, mexico? also looks great, and though pricey, have availability at some of the resorts.

And of course thank you for the kind words of support with my sister. We're going to live it up as much as we can!
there is a Mayakoba complex with the Fairmont, rosewood and banyan tree. There may be other new hotels now. We have stayed at the banyan tree. There is an active thread in the Fairmont forum and also the luxury hotel forums about some of the hotels.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 6:56 am

Programs: AA EXP
We like Panama- it is easy to get around, friendly and relatively inexpensive- suggest a day or 2 in Panama City, then rent a car and drive to El Valle- jungles, sloths, nice climate- we then drove to Santa Catalina- somewhat backpacker like, but relaxing and fun.
In Columbia, we did Bogota- worth seeing, but not worth going out of your way for, but the salt cathedral nearby was stunning. Cartegena is truly one of the most lovely cities in the world- very well restored, great atmosphere, safe, fun. We then rented a house on Isla Grande- several nice hotels are available as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.