FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Central America (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/central-america-479/)
-   -   CR- itinerary help. Too much time in san jose? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/central-america/1824153-cr-itinerary-help-too-much-time-san-jose.html)

Mmurill3 Feb 21, 2017 7:58 pm

CR- itinerary help. Too much time in san jose?

Traveling to CR next month. The plan was to stay 3 days in san jose (landing day, 2 full days, and depart on our 4th day), then spending the rest of our trip in la fortuna (another 4 days), only to return to san jose to catch out flight back.
im starting to wonder if were spending too much time in san jose.
The plan was to do a day trip to manuel antonio, well be renting a car, does that sound plausible? Ive been reading a lot of blogs stating not to drive at night, so its got me thinking a day trip is a bit much considering the distance.
Also, 4 days in la fortuna, is there enough to do? Any day trips to a nearby area that we can do from there?

BSBtraveller Feb 22, 2017 4:27 am

Can't comment on la Fortuna, but I can say two full days in San Jose will be one day too much.

Manuel Antonio I did an organised day trip because I'd read the same blogs. An organised trip made it very easy to do as the traffic left a bit to be desired especially at night. But if you leave early you'd be back by nightfall. Depends on how easy you want your trip, I'm adventurous but CR wouldn't be an easy drive IMHO

mike_la_jolla Feb 22, 2017 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by Mmurill
I'm starting to wonder if were spending too much time in san jose.

*Much* too much time. SJ is mostly razor wire. And the airport is a zoo. Arrive early ...

The plan was to do a day trip to Manuel Antonio, we'll be renting a car, does that sound plausible?
Barely. It is every bit the 3+ hour drive that Google maps depicts. That is one very long day to view a few sloths ...

wolfie_cr Feb 26, 2017 6:21 pm

in SJO your options to see things are , Gold Museum, National Museum, Jade Museum, National Theater (and if it sounds interesting go to Mercado Central and have lunch there)

this time of the year, as its our summer here, you might get decent views from Irazu and Poas volcano (Poas is on the way to fortuna so you can do that one then) , from Irazu you probably can see the smoke coming out of its 'brother' Turrialba volcano , who is active right now

MileageAddict Mar 6, 2017 11:03 am

A day trip from La Fortuna to visit Manuel Antonio NP is not feasible.

First, there are a limited number of visitors allowed into the park each day. The limit of daily visitors is 600 on weekdays and 800 on weekends and is closed on Mondays. Typically, they stop letting people in around 11 am to noon.

Secondly, even though it is less than 80 miles between La Fortuna and Quepos, it will take you at least 4 hours to get there. Realistically, with a stop for lunch and a stop to visit the crocodiles at Tarcoles, more like 5.5 hours. Another option is to fly NatureAir nonstop from La Fortuna to Quepos but the flight is in the early afternoon and you would need to wait until the next day to gain entry to the park. Also, seriously consider hiring a guide if you decide to visit Manuel Antonio as they are skilled at finding animals you would normally walk right past. All of the guides will carry a scope that adapts to smartphones so you can get some amazing photos.

I would suggest one night in San Jose, see what you want to see the morning of Day 2 and then take the 3.5 hour drive to La Fortuna. 3 days (or 4 depending on your calendar) full days in the Arenal/Monteverde area - you will not run out of fun things to see and do, a day to drive to Quepos, 2 days in the Quepos/ Manuel Antonio area - add more time here if you like to spend time on the beach...and then assuming you have an afternoon departure from SJO, depart Quepos in the morning of your last day.

La Fortuna: Hanging Bridges Park - breathtaking! SkyTrek for ziplining, white water rafting, horseback riding, a day at the hot springs - we went to Baldi and loved it.

crwander Mar 14, 2017 6:50 am

Time in San Jose depends on what kind of traveler you are. SJ is certainly not what most people think of when they think of Costa Rica. There's plenty to do in SJ -- I live in SJ and I never get bored -- but it's a city. There are no beaches, volcanoes, rainforests, and certainly not much wildlife in the city. Lots of culture, events, nightlife, people-watching, etc.

La Fortuna to Manuel Antonio is at least a 5 hour drive... or a 25 minute flight.

CostaRicaPro May 26, 2017 10:40 pm

You should spend as little time in San Jose as possible and more of your time between Arenal/LaFortuna and Manuel Antonio areas.