Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Central America
Reload this Page >

PTY - Panama Paitilla - what a hole :(

Old Dec 29, 16, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC

I'm sat at the gate at Tocumen in the middle of an MR on one of the great premium deals out of LAX.

So far, so good on the flights - haven't had to run for one yet but oh dear, how much of a hole is PTY ?

No Oneworld lounge (though bizarrely enough there is an Iberia one before Security), horribly dated terminal and most importantly, I don't think I have ever been somewhere every single member of staff could care less about being pleasant and helpful...

No time to see the canal on this trip - think I might just make do with Google Images instead
Old Dec 29, 16, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fitch View Post
I'm sat at the gate at Tocumen in the middle of an MR on one of the great premium deals out of LAX.

So far, so good on the flights - haven't had to run for one yet but oh dear, how much of a hole is PTY ?

No Oneworld lounge (though bizarrely enough there is an Iberia one before Security), horribly dated terminal and most importantly, I don't think I have ever been somewhere every single member of staff could care less about being pleasant and helpful...

No time to see the canal on this trip - think I might just make do with Google Images instead
What did you expect youre in Star A land. COPA is PTYs home base and whenever Im at an airport that isnt a hub for my alliance in most cases = no lounges etc

As for employee attitudes I guess you have never been to EWR,JFK,MIA etc etc etc
Old Dec 29, 16, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Originally Posted by Fitch View Post
I don't think I have ever been somewhere every single member of staff could care less about being pleasant and helpful...
Welcome to Central/South America
Old Dec 29, 16, 2:51 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

If you think the terminal is a hole, trust me the contract lounge that Iberia uses before security is worse.

PTY terminal is ok in the core area, but walk down to one of the satellites it is a dump.

I thought they were building a new terminal or a huge wing?
Old Dec 29, 16, 3:06 pm
Used to be MJ-bos

Programs: AA ExecPlat, COdbaUA 1P & 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, IHG Gold, Avis 1st
Priority Pass

Copa lounge works with PP
Old Dec 29, 16, 3:15 pm

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
I was at PTY a couple of years ago. I really didn't think that it was any worse than many US airports. As for the people working there, I don't set my expectations really high in any airport setting. In fact, I recall that the AA check-in agent was very nice and apologized for making us wait a few minutes -- because a staff meeting had run a bit long.
Old Dec 29, 16, 3:45 pm

Programs: AA-PLT
I fly through there fairly often. While it's not the nicest airport, I think it's far from a hole. I've been in worse (PHL a couple of years ago comes to mind). The core area and the new satellite (gates 1-10) are good. The other two satellites are definitely shabby though. They are getting ready to start construction on a whole new terminal (if it hasn't started already).

You are not missing anything by not going into the COPA Club. The seating and decor are decent, as it was recently renovated, but the food is almost non-existent and you wait forever for a small drink when it's crowded. The difference in clubs is a major reason I stick with AA over CM/UA. On the other hand if the clubs were equal I would be just as happy flying through PTY as MIA.
Old Dec 29, 16, 7:39 pm

Programs: DL GM, AAdvantage EXECPLAT, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
PHL is a true S%## hole....thanks US Airways.
Old Dec 29, 16, 8:00 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Not related to a specific airline; moved to destination forum.

/Moderator
Old Dec 29, 16, 11:11 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Not a nice airport by any stretch of the imagination, but not bad either for a developing country. It's better than some major US airports I can think of.
Old Dec 30, 16, 12:07 am

Programs: Avianca LifeMiles. Hilton Gold, Meliá Gold, Radisson Gold. National Exec Elite, Hertz PC.
For me PTY is a quite decent airport; not bad, but not awesome either. I agree with the OP, Panamanian staff is not friendly, at all.
Old Dec 31, 16, 12:24 pm

Granted, it has been a bit but last time through, Iberia was using the former American Admirals club inside security.

It was fine and I accessed it via a my J American ticket, I guess they moved landside.
Old Jan 7, 17, 9:45 am
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP
Every place has its charm my friend.

There use to be an Admirals Club, but as others mentioned this is *A land.
Do you have Priority Pass or a credit card (AMEX PLT, Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Prestige) with Priority Pass Access ? Did you bother to check before going on your mileage run ? This would get you access to the COPA Club.. Its not fantastic but not bad either.

The Mezzanine (where the food court is located is not bad).

Also as others mentioned there is brand new terminal being built which is pretty massive.
Old Jan 7, 17, 5:00 pm

Programs: HHonors (Gold), One Pass (Peon)
Anyone know where United comes in/out of? Will be flying nonstop from/to EWR later this month.

DD
Old Jan 8, 17, 8:01 am

Programs: UA Gold, CM nada
Originally Posted by DoggyDaddy View Post
Anyone know where United comes in/out of? Will be flying nonstop from/to EWR later this month.
United flies to Tocumen International, PTY. It only has one terminal and United typically uses gates 24, 25, 30 and 31. Flights to the US have another security check at the gate.

Search this Thread