Wiki Posts
Search

PTY - Panama Paitilla - what a hole :(

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2017, 4:07 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by DoggyDaddy
Anyone know where United comes in/out of? Will be flying nonstop from/to EWR later this month.
DD
Are you doing a same day turn ?

Arriving and Departing Passengers are commingled. This has actually been flagged as a deficiency by the FAA. However for connecting passengers it is very convenient as you don't have to go through security or immigration.

For this reason the flights to USA have a secondary inspection at the gate. You will see that all the flights to USA will use certain gates that are separated by glass or can be cordoned off.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 6:43 pm

A quick note that maybe if interest. Outside water over 100 ml is allowed in the general airside area. But not allowed in the US flights cordoned off sections. You will have to dispose the water before going through secondary security, even if you purchased it airside after the first security.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 11:53 am

Programs: HHonors (Gold), One Pass (Peon)
Flying United out of PTY. a previous post said there was separate security at the gate. Can one bring liquids through this security? On a previous trip to Costa Rica, I brought some Cafe Rica home. It is like Kalaua but stronger. I can't find it here in NJ and would love to bring some back if they sell it in Duty Free. Has anyone done this?

DD
Old Jan 12, 2017, 8:58 pm

Programs: Avianca LifeMiles. Hilton (G), Meliá (G), Radisson (G). National Car (EE), Hertz (PC), Avis (PC)
Flying United out of PTY. a previous post said there was separate security at the gate. Can one bring liquids through this security? On a previous trip to Costa Rica, I brought some Cafe Rica home. It is like Kalaua but stronger. I can't find it here in NJ and would love to bring some back if they sell it in Duty Free. Has anyone done this?

DD
Not sure about going thru security with liquids at PTY. The only thing I can tell is that you won't find Cafe Rica there. It's a costa rican product that is barely exported, very hard to find outside Costa Rica.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 6:00 am

Programs: UA
Main security at PTY enforces the 100 mL / no shoes / computer out rules. So does the gate security for US flights. However, they will allow aboard duty free purchases, though apparently that won't help in your case.

Personally, I put liquor in my checked bags for every trip to the US.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 9:43 am

Programs: AC E50K (*Gold), DL, CZ
12 Hour Connection and Hotel Stay

I'm going from EZE-PTY-YYZ and have a 12 hr connection at PTY.

It looks like the Riande and the Crowne Plaza are the two closest hotels.

EZE-PTY arrives at 6:12 AM, and PTY-YYZ leaves 6:24 PM.

Which date do I select for the hotel booking? For example, if my flight arrives July 31, do I select the 30th or the 31st?

I figure if I select July 30, they may ask me to check-out on the 31st, and if I select July 31, they may not let me check in until 2 or 3 PM.

Thanks for any help you can provide!
Old Jan 28, 2017, 11:53 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by yqtyyz
EZE-PTY arrives at 6:12 AM, and PTY-YYZ leaves 6:24 PM.
What you are looking for is called a Day Rate.. You will need to call a hotel the hotel directly to see if they offer this. Many hotels in places where people have layover/connections will have this. Usually 50-70% of a nightly rate.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 9:14 pm

Thanks for the exact terminology! I've contacted the hotel, and am awaiting their response.

I also have a 7 hour layover on a flight several days, but I'm not sure if it's worth leaving the hotel, and having to clear security again.

When one simply transits PTY to a third country, is it similar to airports like HKG where you just go downstairs, go through a security check, then come back up, or is there some type of passport stamping process like when one transits an EU airport?

Originally Posted by redrock
What you are looking for is called a Day Rate.. You will need to call a hotel the hotel directly to see if they offer this. Many hotels in places where people have layover/connections will have this. Usually 50-70% of a nightly rate.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 5:50 am

...When one simply transits PTY to a third country, is it similar to airports like HKG where you just go downstairs, go through a security check, then come back up, or is there some type of passport stamping process like when one transits an EU airport?
Easier! You get off the plane and walk into the "unique" transit/departure area without stamps, security, etc.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 8:27 am

The concierge replied and said it was "79.00+0.10" for one person, and for two people, the rate was "94.00+0.10) with breakfast included.

I've replied back and said I'd take that rate, but to what does the [B]0.10[/B refer]?

Originally Posted by redrock
Thanks! I think for my shorter layover, I'll just hang out at the airport. Going to be a long 7 hrs.

Originally Posted by KLouis
Easier! You get off the plane and walk into the "unique" transit/departure area without stamps, security, etc.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 9:11 am
Original Member

The concierge replied and said it was "79.00+0.10" for one person, and for two people, the rate was "94.00+0.10) with breakfast included.
Is that cheaper than the nightly rate you see online ? Also if you book this make sure they confirm the times (check-in, check-out) so you avoid any confusion.

My guess is 0.10 is probably 10% room tax but best to clarify that as well.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 10:56 am

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium

DD
The secondary gate security enforces the 100ml liquid ban.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.