FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Central America (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/central-america-479/)
-   -   Uber from SJO airport (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/central-america/1783250-uber-sjo-airport.html)

flashware Aug 7, 2016 11:42 am

Uber from SJO airport

Having done some prior research it looks like Uber is available here and quite a bit cheaper than taking a local taxi. I've found that the airport does have free WiFi, so just wondering of any recent experience in either getting an Uber and also using the WiFi i.e. is it stable enough to use upon arrival?

ariel_sjo Aug 8, 2016 12:07 am

Originally Posted by flashware (Post 27028699)
Having done some prior research it looks like Uber is available here and quite a bit cheaper than taking a local taxi. I've found that the airport does have free WiFi, so just wondering of any recent experience in either getting an Uber and also using the WiFi i.e. is it stable enough to use upon arrival?

Last month I lost my SIM chip in Europe, so I couldn't get connected to my carrier in Costa Rica upon arrival, so I tried to use SJO's free WiFi to order Uber, but I couldn't, the signal is too weak in the arrivals area.
But I know that some people has managed to do it, and have used Uber at the airport after clearing customs.

You may try, but it's unlikely that you can get connected. You can go upstairs, at the departures level, where the signal is stronger.

flashware Aug 21, 2016 9:42 am

Just to report back - the WiFi was very flakey and I couldn't even get it to work in the departures area. I popped upstairs to the Lavazza and they were happy to let me piggyback on their WiFi. All sorted and trip into town was around 5k CRC (~£7) - bargain.

ariel_sjo Aug 21, 2016 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by flashware (Post 27096851)
Just to report back - the WiFi was very flakey and I couldn't even get it to work in the departures area. I popped upstairs to the Lavazza and they were happy to let me piggyback on their WiFi. All sorted and trip into town was around 5k CRC (~£7) - bargain.

Niiiiiice job and welcome to Costa Rica, pura vida! ^

Xeno Nov 14, 2016 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by flashware (Post 27096851)

So there was no problem getting a Uber vehicle up to the terminal? Did you have problems finding one another since you lost Wifi once you stepped outside the airport?

flashware Nov 14, 2016 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by Xeno (Post 27479251)
So there was no problem getting a Uber vehicle up to the terminal? Did you have problems finding one another since you lost Wifi once you stepped outside the airport?

No issues at all. Doesn't matter if you're out of range - once the app says the car is arriving just walk outside, less than a minute to do so and it'll be there. Just look for the number plate :) ^

Teamstone Feb 23, 2017 10:40 am

Any experience with long distance Uber rides? I do it in the states and often find willing drivers.

I am needing a 4 hour drive to Playa del Coco.

Thanks

Kristen Martinet Kaplanis May 19, 2017 8:04 am

HELP! I am looking to take Uber from he airport to Jaco. Any suggestions? I want to plan it in advance but not sure what my pick up area would be?!! I have never used Uber so I am nervous! Any advise would be super helpful!!

Thank you!!

B407 May 23, 2017 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by Kristen Martinet Kaplanis (Post 28332934)
HELP! I am looking to take Uber from he airport to Jaco. Any suggestions? I want to plan it in advance but not sure what my pick up area would be?!! I have never used Uber so I am nervous! Any advise would be super helpful!!

Thank you!!

That is way too long of a ride, you won't be able to use uber for that.

CostaRicaPro May 26, 2017 10:29 pm

You are much better taking a private transfer from the airport to Jaco than trying to get an Uber.. I do not suggest you use Uber in Costa Rica. Local taxis are cheap enough.

Jaimito Cartero May 26, 2017 10:44 pm

There are some taxis in Costa Rica that will take advantage of tourists. I have a relative who drives in SJO, and he's told me some stories. Some just refuse to turn the meter (maria) on.

There are some taxis with fast meters, too. You definitely need to negotiate prices with taxis up front. I'd guess $100-150 from San Jose to Jaco. There are plenty of shuttle buses, too.

In my younger days, I took the public buses from Coca Cola, or similar downtown SJO areas for $3-4. Probably more than that now.

viajaresmivida Sep 7, 2017 11:42 am

Where are you going from San Jose ?