Reload this Page >

Used good local driver in Panama City

Old May 11, 16, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold

I saw this post on Reddit

https://m.reddit.com/r/Panama/comments/4ebtsc/8_hours_in_panama_city_panama_travel_to_blank/?ref=readnext

And contacted the driver Santiago on whatsapp +507 65394019. Gave me a very fair rate, $16.60 per hour (including airport pickup and drop off, no extra charge for tolls) and showed the highlights of Panama city over the course of a couple of days. Good guy.
Old May 19, 16, 5:48 pm

Programs: Motel 6 Super Diamond
He's now quoting me $35 one way from the airport to downtown. He did say $17/hr earlier when I first asked how much from the airport, but now he's singing a different tune. For $35, I'll just use Uber. I'm guessing he's had tons of requests and is adjusting his prices, which is fine just not worth it for me.
Old May 24, 16, 7:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by Matthew330Ci View Post
He's now quoting me $35 one way from the airport to downtown. He did say $17/hr earlier when I first asked how much from the airport, but now he's singing a different tune. For $35, I'll just use Uber. I'm guessing he's had tons of requests and is adjusting his prices, which is fine just not worth it for me.
Wow
Old May 25, 16, 5:32 pm

Programs: Motel 6 Super Diamond
Originally Posted by slickvik View Post
Wow
actually I think the important thing to point out is that if I used his services for at least a full day's worth of tours (something around US$105) then he could take me to/from the airport for $17/hour but for just the service to/from the airport it'd be $35 each way.
Old May 26, 16, 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by Matthew330Ci View Post
actually I think the important thing to point out is that if I used his services for at least a full day's worth of tours (something around US$105) then he could take me to/from the airport for $17/hour but for just the service to/from the airport it'd be $35 each way.
IIRC I paid $25 from the airport in a regular cab and $20 to the airport with one of the cars booked by my hotel. Why would anyone pay $35? My guess is that this driver simply does not want to do just airport transfers, therefore asking for a price that nobody would be willing to pay.

Search this Thread