Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Central America
Reload this Page >

Travel Logistics / Safety

Old Apr 30, 2016, 10:28 pm
Original Poster

Visiting Belize, Guatemala, Nicaragua etc. on the same trip. Trying to figure out which will be the better option to get from Placencia/Punta Gorda (Belize) to/around Guatemala. It will be my 2nd time, after around 10 years, so just wanted to get a handle on how safe/reasonable this proposed itinerary is.

Option 1
Day 1 -- Punta Gorda to Rio Dulce (Is there anything to see in Rio Dulce)? and maybe onward by bus toward Coban
Day 2 -- Semuc Champey and onward to Guatemala City/Antigua
Day 3 -- Volcan de Agua hike or maybe Acatenango if Agua is closed (security issues) and return to Guatemala City
Day 4 -- Early morning flight out of GUA

OR

Option 2
Day 0 -- Return from Placencia to Belize City
Day 1 -- Fly from Belize City to Guatemala City and on to Antigua
Day 2 -- Volcan de Agua hike or maybe Acatenango if Agua is closed (security issues) and return to Guatemala City
Day 3 -- Semuc Champey round trip returning to GUA
Day 4 -- Early morning flight out of GUA

Obviously, already, it looks like the safety and security situation on Volcan Agua has become critical to the point that many tour companies are not offering the climb. So I might have to settle for Acatenango. Anyways, I'm more concerned about whether the logistics are too complicated to get from Punta Gorda to Rio Dulce and Coban, whether there is even a regular bus from Rio Dulce to Coban (for Semuc Champey), if it is safe, and frankly, if I should even bother getting to Rio Dulce in the first place or skip it totally if it's not worth it. If I do skip it, I can save time by flying directly into Guatemala City and taking a day tour to Semuc Champey, and another to climb a volcano.

Then the only safety issues I'll have to worry about are getting to/from Semuc Champey and to/from Antigua.
Old May 1, 2016, 1:52 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Day 3 -- Semuc Champey round trip returning to GUA
I don't think that's realistic. Semuc Champey is easily done as a day trip from Coban. It would be an exhausting day trip from Guatemala City, and that's assuming it were logistically possible. (I doubt it is.)
Old May 3, 2016, 10:32 am

Programs: HH-Diamond, IHG-Plat, DL-DM, PnF Plat, Kroger +
My wife and I wanted to do Volcan de Agua back in November but we were told it was not safe and it's not regulated and not officially an attraction. I went up it back in the mid 80's when I was a kid with my dad.

I would go for Volcan de Pacaya. Very nice local guides and knowledgeable about the area.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.