Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Arriving PTY from US, no customs now?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2016, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Arriving PTY from US, no customs now?

Arrived pty yesterday from LAS, customs hall was still pretty empty, yet from my filght folks were diverted into a bypass line which just exited customs without doing the usual xray routine - this is not the 'green light/red light routine but human diverting traffic before entering the rope maze.

I arrive in PTY regularly and haven't seen US flights essentially skip the process before.

HAs there been a change in routine for US arrivals or was this perhaps a one-off?
Old Mar 13, 2016, 2:41 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
They never did pay much attention.,
Old Mar 13, 2016, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

right, but this thread is about actually skipping any and all customs examination based on origin of flight, not about how their xrays (which they have stopped me over before, mainly books for obvious reasons) are or are not whatever.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 6:02 am

Programs: UA
An american colleague returned to PTY last weekend, not on a US flight, and an agent at the beginning of the customs rope maze diverted him around the xrays just by virtue of his US passport.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 8:20 am
Original Poster

That is interesting - I didn't have my passport out at all but my customs form did say US for nationality. The key question was where our flight was from, though. Nothing about nationality.

Thanks, hopefully the criterion/criteria is clarified on this.
Old May 2, 2016, 6:06 am

Two recent experiences. On a flight from the US, a guy was posted at the entry to the maze. Took my customs form, then waved me to a direct exit lane with no xray. On a flight not from the US, no such guy was posted, so I went through the maze and xray.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 4:28 pm

it's back

This phenomenon persisted for a few more weeks after my previous post, then like many things at PTY it disappeared without a trace.

But, today I arrived and found that now both entry points to the customs maze have clearly signed by-pass exit lanes for passengers "on flights arriving from the USA." I wasn't coming from the US, so I didn't experience it, but I got the impression this wasn't a freely accessible exit, someone has to be there to check you out first.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 10:52 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Maybe this is how they are dealing with increased flow of mileage runners

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.